Sponsored

First window crack and four months old (and first crack EVER)

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
27 years of driving and four months after I buy my Jeep I get my first big crack on my windshield. Right on the drivers side. REALLY, Jeep?? I know, I know... "It's a Jeep thing". :facepalm: I'm both excited and saddened, at the same time. haha

So for replacements, is there something I should be looking for? I've heard about something called "gorilla glass", but I don't know what that is - or if it's even available here in Canada.

So what's the best way to deal with cracks, and not have to replace your damn windshield every year? For now I'm embracing it, but if it gets any bigger (and you know it will) it's going to be a real pain... especially when the sun catches it. It's about 10" long right now.
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I think you may be SOL as far as the crack! If it were a chip you would be able to get the resin treatment from places like safelite but seeing as it is already cracked and 10" long ..I don't believe you can do anything but watch it spread. Supposedly there is Gorilla glass for the JK but no one is confirming for JL. Someone else posted that there was a maker who made stronger glass thicker but was significantly higher in price and those who tried to research it came up empty handed. I would suggest trying to find a good auto glass company and inquire about the possibilities. Someone else may come along with some updated info...Good luck to ya Congratz on the new ride!!

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
I joined the club yesterday, but mine is small enough I will try reparing first.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I think you may be SOL as far as the crack! If it were a chip you would be able to get the resin treatment from places like safelite but seeing as it is already cracked and 10" long ..I don't believe you can do anything but watch it spread. Supposedly there is Gorilla glass for the JK but no one is confirming for JL. Someone else posted that there was a maker who made stronger glass thicker but was significantly higher in price and those who tried to research it came up empty handed. I would suggest trying to find a good auto glass company and inquire about the possibilities. Someone else may come along with some updated info...Good luck to ya Congratz on the new ride!!
Thanks! I know it's not fixable and I don't plan to replace it anytime soon (and honestly I feel a wee bit honoured like now I'm on "official" member or something. LOL), but I do want to do some research on what to buy when I do replace it. My fingers are crossed that something better exists! That was a pretty big bummer... I still don't know how it happened. It wasn't there when I parked it. I noticed it the next morning when I went to drive away.

twinsgroupie

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Sport S
27 years of driving and four months after I buy my Jeep I get my first big crack on my windshield. Right on the drivers side. REALLY, Jeep?? I know, I know... "It's a Jeep thing". :facepalm: I'm both excited and saddened, at the same time. haha

So for replacements, is there something I should be looking for? I've heard about something called "gorilla glass", but I don't know what that is - or if it's even available here in Canada.

So what's the best way to deal with cracks, and not have to replace your damn windshield every year? For now I'm embracing it, but if it gets any bigger (and you know it will) it's going to be a real pain... especially when the sun catches it. It's about 10" long right now.

Try living in Arizona where the "rock fairy" visits you about 2 or 3 times a year. We go through a lot of windshields here.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Best way to avoid it is not have a Wrangler. Next best way is to never take it out of your garage. After that have full glass coverage on your insurance (but after a couple of claims I'm betting your rates will go up). Some people will claim there is film for the windshield that will prevent chips and cracks (and I've got a bridge in Arizona that used to be in London that I can sell you). Other than that just grin and bear it.

Gorilla glass is what they put on cell phones to reduce the glass from breaking for those idiots that put their phone in their rear pocket then sit on it.

twinsgroupie

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Sport S
Do you replace them with standard glass? I'm hoping to find something of higher quality.
I find them all to be the same. I think it's like buying a lot of stuff one or two companies make the glass for everyone.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Sorry your windshield is cracked....Northern BC...do you have a choice in vendors there?

We talked before on one of my posts...we have fewer choices here than US residents. Had a window chip repaired on another car. Fellow warned to watch out and look for distortion in cheap glass. He had been in business a long time; did a good job on the chip repair.

Good luck. Be well.

Dave
Ontario

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Sorry your windshield is cracked....Northern BC...do you have a choice in vendors there?

Fellow warned to watch out and look for distortion in cheap glass.
I have some choice... not a lot. And thanks for the tip!
Sponsored