Fixing Winch line attachment point

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
So my winch line was getting a little stuck. The attachment point appeared to be a little lose, decided to tighten down an respool. Tried to do the first wrap with just me holding the roap as force before dragging the jeep. When I did this the rope tore out of the attachment point. Its a smittybuilt 12k. I can't for the life of me figure out a way to get the rope back into this tiny metal part. Am I screwed? Are there any other parts I can buy to replace this and still use the line?

winch1.png

winch2.png
Sponsored

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Check out this article here.

https://trail4runner.com/2019/03/19/smittybilt-x20-10k-winch-assembly-install/

It looks like you could clean up the line and flatten it out to get in the the metal sleeve. Take a soldering iron and burn a hole in the line to get the bolt through. It doesn't take a lot to hold it in place. The wraps on the drum are what is important.
Thanks. I tried to clean it up some and even trim it down, but its really not wanting to even go in there much at all

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Drive a tapered punch through the aluminum sleeve end to end, reinstall rope with good rope on both sides of the sleeve, crimp back shut with vise or similar make a hole with soldering iron ,trim back to end of sleeve

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Drive a tapered punch through the aluminum sleeve end to end, reinstall rope with good rope on both sides of the sleeve, crimp back shut with vise or similar make a hole with soldering iron ,trim back to end of sleeve
Well I had to google what that was, didn't have one, but found something similar and that plus my desk clamp were able to get this in shape. Thank you for the help!

The soldering through the hole ended up being the most time consuming part. lol
Sponsored