Flat Tow Wrangler Behind Gladiator

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Has anyone had any experience flat towing a JL (or any other wrangler) behind their Gladiator? If so, what types of setups are you using?

I have a small Class A that I will be flat towing my JLUR with, but I am really intrigued by the potential of a Sport S w/ Max tow as my daily so I can continue my JLUR build and have a super functional small truck.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the JL pics! ā€ā™‚

398B2E9D-10AE-4F0A-BB8A-E2FEA7C5DB5D.jpeg

ACA74390-16FA-45B4-AE58-C8EA71BD5FE0.jpeg
Sponsored

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
I have a Road master set up on my 04 TJ bolted in right under my warn front bumper I usually tow it behind my Class A pusher. but latly iv towed it behind the JT out to wheeling events or friends to have a rig to make trail runs. I pop the T case in N and leave the key unlocked so front wheels tow around the corners

OP
OP

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a Road master set up on my 04 TJ bolted in right under my warn front bumper I usually tow it behind my Class A pusher. but latly iv towed it behind the JT out to wheeling events or friends to have a rig to make trail runs. I pop the T case in N and leave the key unlocked so front wheels tow around the corners
Do you address lighting and brakes?

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Do you address lighting and brakes?
Brakes I had not worried about as its all short tows iv done, I'm just very conscientious of it back there in my driving habits. Lighting I have a set of $19 harbor freight mag mounts on the bumper.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ton of info online about towing jeeps behind motorhomes. IRV Forum is a great source.

I built a bumper for my JK however many use standard aftermarket bumpers with Tow Tabs or adapters on the tow bar. I bought a solid Blue Ox bar (old school) as it was cheap and i have towed alot of cars with tow bars. Unless you have a good helper its not the easiest to hitch. I got the Classic Brake Buddy for supplemental braking. My JK is a 2 door but loaded with crap for a week away from home adds to the weight. Most states have laws for over 5000 so i'd look to do something simple. Lighting - JK Mopar parts harness. Plug and play and uses all factory lights. I am not sure but believe they make one for the JL also. It will cost more to have folks do the work, however if you can do the work you can save alot of cash and still tow safe. We have towed our JK about 10,000 miles with no issues other than a dead battery one day after leaving the lights on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Ton of info online about towing jeeps behind motorhomes. IRV Forum is a great source.

I built a bumper for my JK however many use standard aftermarket bumpers with Tow Tabs or adapters on the tow bar. I bought a solid Blue Ox bar (old school) as it was cheap and i have towed alot of cars with tow bars. Unless you have a good helper its not the easiest to hitch. I got the Classic Brake Buddy for supplemental braking. My JK is a 2 door but loaded with crap for a week away from home adds to the weight. Most states have laws for over 5000 so i'd look to do something simple. Lighting - JK Mopar parts harness. Plug and play and uses all factory lights. I am not sure but believe they make one for the JL also. It will cost more to have folks do the work, however if you can do the work you can save alot of cash and still tow safe. We have towed our JK about 10,000 miles with no issues other than a dead battery one day after leaving the lights on.
Thank you for the input. Weā€™ve had our class A for 12 months now (7k miles!) and Iā€™m just now setting my JLUR up to start flat towing it this Spring when we head to Florida again. Hoping to tow it out west this summer.

Iā€™m thinking about getting a max tow Sport S Gladiator for my daily driver and to tow the JLUR to off-road parks as it continues to grow in size.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Good info. Planning to flat tow a TJ behind my JTR. Mostly a couple of short trips to off-road/camp. Thinking a simple, basic tow bar, safety chains and some HF lights will do for my needs. If I go further or more often seems like I need to invest in brakes - looks like ~ $1100 for parts.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I was considering flat towing my TJ Rubi behind the JT but it kind of defeats the purpose for me.
Growing up wheeling a TJ and knowing if you break it you can't get to work next week shifted over many years into last year trailer towing it to the off roading spot. Such a huge mental difference in wheeling knowing if you break it you can just trailer it home! Sure, the same is somewhat true of flat towing but you can break a lot more (axle, wheel bearing, wheel, lugs, gears, axle housing, steering components, u joints, control arms, etc.) and still trailer tow but be hosed on flat towing.
Plus, I used to flat tow my CJ5 and could never get over that when turning even moderately you are scraping the towed vehicles front tires sideways because the hitch is moving straight sideways because of the angles.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Flat towing is a bit of a compromise. I flat towed my M-38A1 for years and never had any issues. I guess if you break something that doesnā€™t let it flat tow home you are screwed to some extent but at least you can get home in the Gladiator. Probably do this 6-8 times a year so hard for me to justify a car trailer.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Probably do this 6-8 times a year so hard for me to justify a car trailer.
That would for me, you are lucky I sadly only get to wheel half that much these days. It's like $300 for a trailer rental for a 4 day weekend. 6-8times makes it easy to spend the $2500 or less if you find one used. Plus, what does an M38 weigh? 2500? You could get away with a cheaper utility trailer!

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
Iā€™ve flat toad a jk for 5 yrs for 25k miles and now have my jtr set up to tow this year.
Toad the jk behind Toyota Tundra several times as well. I use a blue ox patriot. It portable as well as plug n play.
Check the states you are towing in. In some it is a requirement to have supplemental braking for towing anything over 1k lbs.
Heaven forbid if you get in an accident and donā€™t meet requirements, insurance may not cover.
Sponsored