Flat Towing a Gladiator behind a Motorhome

Ted

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Jeep JT Steering does not lock at all
Correct. I tried it out today and it did not lock in the off/lock position.

Advertisement

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
IMG_1589.jpg
IMG_4667.jpg
Finally got our motorhome out of the Camping World service center a few days ago, so I was able to set up the tow arms and cables to see if they would fit the Gladiator. Motorhome has been in the shop since May (one of the worst customer service experiences ever) and I got the Gladiator in early July and had the tow plate hardware and connections installed by the dealer. After the first test fit, I found that I needed a different hitch extension because the arms were too far from level. Amazon delivered the new extender (2" drop/rise) today and it looks like it will work. Took it around the block to test the brake adjustment and it seems to work well. Nice that there is no steering wheel lock!

Kball

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Regional merchandise manager
Sky king those are great pictures, I need to hook up my road master system, and I was wondering where to put my brake away system, and you gave me some great ideas on where to mount it. For the brake monitor led light in your coach the wire goes to the brake switch did you use the wire that was in the harness under the dash that would be for a brake controller. Regards Marc

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Sky king those are great pictures, I need to hook up my road master system, and I was wondering where to put my brake away system, and you gave me some great ideas on where to mount it. For the brake monitor led light in your coach the wire goes to the brake switch did you use the wire that was in the harness under the dash that would be for a brake controller. Regards Marc
hello,
I don’t have that feature on my coach.
Some day I want a small “dedicated” screen in the cockpit to monitor my tow vehicle.
take care!

Kball

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
hello,
I don’t have that feature on my coach.
Some day I want a small “dedicated” screen in the cockpit to monitor my tow vehicle.
take care!
THank you

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator

Kball

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
I used a Demco Base Plate and made my own plug and play wiring kit for the tail lights. (I used Tow Daddy custom kits on my 2 previous tow vehicles, but couldn't find a similar kit for the Gladiator.) I used Hopkins quick lock diodes and standard auto wiring. I have included pictures of the plugs. It is fairly straight forward and avoids cutting up your tail light wiring. (Molex plugs and parts are available from Moser)

The base plate and skid plate were modified by the local Demco dealer to work with the standard bumper. I used the air force braking system. The unit is mounted next to the battery and fits nicely (I had to purchase a new, smaller unit as my old unit was too bid for the space available.) The air supply and light connector are installed in the skid plate.

Cinderock this looks like about what I will have to do to hook into my diesel pusher. Did you have to install a brake light kit, or did it work without one, also can you turn you ignition completely off? Regards Marc

DEMCO Base Plate.JPG

Gladiator Base Plate.JPG

MultiColor Plug wiring.JPG

Kball

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Cinderock this looks like about what I will have to do to hook into my diesel pusher. Did you have to install a brake light kit, or did it work without one, also can you turn you ignition completely off? Regards Marc

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Old thread but it still pops up from time to time. For those searching, I will share my flat towing set up which I don't think has been mentioned.
Blue Ox Avail 10,000# tow bar, Maximus-3 tow loops with Blue Ox adapters, Cooltech JL/JT towed vehicle lighting kit, and the RVi3 braking system.
The Maximus-3 loops will allow you to run a low profile winch mount and winch, like a stock Rubicon steel bumper. Some of the others cannot without some modifications. I have the RR Arcus winch bumper, but had to source some longer grade 8 bolts to get through the beefy Maximus-3 loops.
The Cooltech harness is a neat deal. It has an isolation switch and mount for under the seat. No diodes, no power drain. Lights are powered by motorhome only, or Jeep only.
I bought the RVi3 brake when I had the JK. I knew I would be upgrading Jeeps, so a portable just made sense. I can monitor the braking from the included tablet in the motorhome, plus test, or manually apply the Jeep brakes if I need to. It's the size of a briefcase and set up takes less than 5 minutes.
Everything above was easily installed by yours truly, and I am by no means a mechanic, just a tinkerer.
Some friends of our liked our set up so they installed the exact same thing in their Gladiator Max Tow.

Maximusloops.jpg

MaximusArcus.jpg

cooltech 1.jpg

20200918_091836.jpg

2hr2jt.jpg

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Old thread but it still pops up from time to time. For those searching, I will share my flat towing set up which I don't think has been mentioned.
Blue Ox Avail 10,000# tow bar, Maximus-3 tow loops with Blue Ox adapters, Cooltech JL/JT towed vehicle lighting kit, and the RVi3 braking system.
The Maximus-3 loops will allow you to run a low profile winch mount and winch, like a stock Rubicon steel bumper. Some of the others cannot without some modifications. I have the RR Arcus winch bumper, but had to source some longer grade 8 bolts to get through the beefy Maximus-3 loops.
The Cooltech harness is a neat deal. It has an isolation switch and mount for under the seat. No diodes, no power drain. Lights are powered by motorhome only, or Jeep only.
I bought the RVi3 brake when I had the JK. I knew I would be upgrading Jeeps, so a portable just made sense. I can monitor the braking from the included tablet in the motorhome, plus test, or manually apply the Jeep brakes if I need to. It's the size of a briefcase and set up takes less than 5 minutes.
Everything above was easily installed by yours truly, and I am by no means a mechanic, just a tinkerer.
Some friends of our liked our set up so they installed the exact same thing in their Gladiator Max Tow.
Looks like you are towing your JTR with a gas motorhome (F53 chassis?). My Gladiator is already set up with a tow plate and all the necessary connections and it tows great with my diesel pusher. However, I am about to sell my current motorhome and wondering if a gas powered (V10 or the new 7.3L V8) would have sufficient torque to handle a JTR. Seems like it's just over the weight limit for the towing capacity of most of these motorhomes.

Also curious if anyone with a diesel powered Sprinter chassis with the Mercedes 188HP drivetrain has tried towing a Gladiator.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Looks like you are towing your JTR with a gas motorhome (F53 chassis?). My Gladiator is already set up with a tow plate and all the necessary connections and it tows great with my diesel pusher. However, I am about to sell my current motorhome and wondering if a gas powered (V10 or the new 7.3L V8) would have sufficient torque to handle a JTR. Seems like it's just over the weight limit for the towing capacity of most of these motorhomes.

Also curious if anyone with a diesel powered Sprinter chassis with the Mercedes 188HP drivetrain has tried towing a Gladiator.
Yes mine is a V10 F53. Tows great. Can't really tell the difference from my previous JK 2dr. I've also hauled our old TJ on an 18' car hauler for years that I am sure doesn't weigh less than the Gladiator.

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes mine is a V10 F53. Tows great. Can't really tell the difference from my previous JK 2dr. I've also hauled our old TJ on an 18' car hauler for years that I am sure doesn't weigh less than the Gladiator.
Interesting. Thanks for the reply! I used to tow my TJ behind a Winnebago Vista with the Ford V10. Okay for the most part, but really struggled in Colorado and New Mexico elevation changes.

Advertisement

Advertisement