Sponsored

For Jscan users...how do you get to these cables..

ShelbyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I just got my OBD piece and bypass cables to run JScan on my Overland...I am genuinely struggling to get these cables out. And I'm a female with small fingers. My hands are all cut up trying to get up there. Is there some kind of tool I should be using? I'm not even sure how I would even fit a tool AND my hand up there to get these unplugged. I am pushing the clip down and pulling to the point where I feel like I'd pull the damn wires out and they just will not budge. What am I missing here? It feels impossible. I'm not sure how grown men with big hands do this. lol
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
That's what you get having an Overland, or any of the higher trims.
On my Sport S, you can even see the connectors!
They're up there, above a bunch of wires.

Ask @ShadowsPapa how he got to his.

And once you get up there, you can order & install extensions, so you don't have to go through this again!

Kevin

OP
OP
ShelbyDee

ShelbyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
That's what you get having an Overland, or any of the higher trims.
On my Sport S, you can even see the connectors!
They're up there, above a bunch of wires.

Ask @ShadowsPapa how he got to his.

And once you get up there, you can order & install extensions, so you don't have to go through this again!

Kevin
lol well I can see them...I just can't get enough leverage to freaking pull them down. And even if I had extension cables, I'd still have to get them out at least once!

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Guess what, men cut up their hands too.. Might I suggest that you visit a local mechanic and ask them to install the cables.. You can leave then installed .. when you go to the dealership advise them that bypass cables are installed so they will connect up to those cables. I plan to use mine again to check some settings with Jscan; and this time I am leaving them installed and I will be running a Banks Pedal Monster full time. BTW I have a good rapport with my local Jeep Dealer so no problems are anticipated.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Order the extension cable from ZAutomotive, before spending any more time on it. You only want to do this one time. I have an Overland, and large hands. I managed to get it done, but it took some effort. I think I also used a small flat screwdriver. When you get the extension cable, you can see how the connectors fit together, and that should help in getting the factory connector out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShelbyDee

ShelbyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Guess what, men cut up their hands too.. Might I suggest that you visit a local mechanic and ask them to install the cables.. You can leave then installed .. when you go to the dealership advise them that bypass cables are installed so they will connect up to those cables. I plan to use mine again to check some settings with Jscan; and this time I am leaving them installed and I will be running a Banks Pedal Monster full time. BTW I have a good rapport with my local Jeep Dealer so no problems are anticipated.
lol no mechanic needed. I took off the knee panel and it made it a bit easier. Still difficult, but was able to get enough leverage.

OP
OP
ShelbyDee

ShelbyDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Order the extension cable from ZAutomotive, before spending any more time on it. You only want to do this one time. I have an Overland, and large hands. I managed to get it done, but it took some effort. I think I also used a small flat screwdriver. When you get the extension cable, you can see how the connectors fit together, and that should help in getting the factory connector out.
I'll definitely end up getting some extension cables because I'm gonna need Jscan in the future for some more upgrades and don't want to go through that BS again lol. But after ripping off the knee panel, it was much easier to get to.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, the higher trim models suck to get to. My buddy cut his hands all up getting to his on his Overland. Mine come right out on my Regular Sport.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my OBD piece and bypass cables to run JScan on my Overland...I am genuinely struggling to get these cables out. And I'm a female with small fingers. My hands are all cut up trying to get up there. Is there some kind of tool I should be using? I'm not even sure how I would even fit a tool AND my hand up there to get these unplugged. I am pushing the clip down and pulling to the point where I feel like I'd pull the damn wires out and they just will not budge. What am I missing here? It feels impossible. I'm not sure how grown men with big hands do this. lol
Buy the Tazer SGW extension cable. One end plugs into the OBD port and stays there. The other end is now accessible and ready for you to pull down out of console for easy access. You’re welcome!

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
It'll just take some practice to get to. It took me forever the first time trying to figure out how to get them out I want to say, now I can do it by feel and have my JSCAN plugged in in about 2 minutes.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I found that two small flat head screwdrivers make it a lot easier. One to push the tab and one to pry the plug out.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I didn't realize this was a trim level difference. Are Rubicons considered a higher trim level in this case? I'm guessing not, because they aren't too hard to get to on mine. Just have to push the seat all the way back. Just overlands and High Altitudes?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I didn't realize this was a trim level difference. Are Rubicons considered a higher trim level in this case? I'm guessing not, because they aren't too hard to get to on mine. Just have to push the seat all the way back. Just overlands and High Altitudes?
I really should've said option level.
From what I understand, if you have the inverter, and some other goodies, there is a wiring bundle that's right in the way of reaching the security gate plugs.

Kevin

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I really should've said option level.
From what I understand, if you have the inverter, and some other goodies, there is a wiring bundle that's right in the way of reaching the security gate plugs.

Kevin
There's a loose harness in that area that goes nowhere in my gladiator. I always wondered what it was for. Maybe something to do with that wiring bundle that I don't have

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Are you pulling the knee bolster panel below the steering wheel off? That opens a lot of room to at least look up in there to see where it is at.

I found a difference between my 2020 Gladiator and my 2022 Gladiator in getting access to the SGW with something in the front on my 2022 that made getting my hands on the connector a bit more difficult.

Eventually got my fingers on the connectors but it took a bit more fiddling to find the secret sauce to get them to pull out.
Sponsored