Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I was very hesitant about purchasing a soft top on the Gladiator. My last two Jeeps had hard tops but the problem was that I never found myself taking off the top near as much as I did with the soft top (the four Jeeps prior).

I took a chance and ordered the JT with a soft top (knowing full well I might get a hard top later).

Frankly, I have been pretty impressed with the soft top - both on clean appearance and surprisingly low(ish) road noise.
Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for reassuring my same thoughts. I actually like the looks of the soft top, and the fact that the premium matches the tonneau cover is another plus. Have you had the back window out with the top up/down? Much noise? Does it look weird? And does it look like it'll be a pain to completely remove the top on the odd chance that it doesn't rain for more than one day in a row? I just hope I get mine before the snow starts falling, lol!

JeepFoxhound

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just wait there will be hardtops available on craigs, ebay, facebook........if you decide to get one later.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
Yeah, I was astounded at how good the premium soft top was with highway noise when I did my test drive. I have no desire to own a hard top and will only end up purchasing one if the soft top gets worse with road noise over time.

Sponsored

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for reassuring my same thoughts. I actually like the looks of the soft top, and the fact that the premium matches the tonneau cover is another plus. Have you had the back window out with the top up/down? Much noise? Does it look weird? And does it look like it'll be a pain to completely remove the top on the odd chance that it doesn't rain for more than one day in a row? I just hope I get mine before the snow starts falling, lol!
I got to drive this one home for the night. The soft top is really easy to use. Getting the back window off takes about 20 seconds. The only part I need to get used to is putting the back window on. I was actually able to have a conversation with my wife on the phone with the top down. It is also extremely easy to take the whole soft top off. (though I never got a chance to when I had it). It is four bolts and it is off the track, perfect for a break in weather. There is only 2 downfalls that I see with the soft top. Security, anyone could get into the vehicle even with the doors locked, and you can't put stickers and decals on the back window. Everything else is equivalent to the hard top or better.

IMG_20190601_115625.jpg

IMG_20190601_115423.jpg

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Yeah, I have the same question on where we can purchase one? I want to take my hard top off for the summer!

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
@Moonridge I need a favor from you. Can you measure the difference in height with the soft top open vs closed? I ordered my JT with the soft top and I have been wondering if I'll be able to pull in and out of my garage with the top open

Sponsored

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
@Moonridge I need a favor from you. Can you measure the difference in height with the soft top open vs closed? I ordered my JT with the soft top and I have been wondering if I'll be able to pull in and out of my garage with the top open
I can't, we sold those Gladiators the day after we got them in. As a rule of thumb, I never recommend going into a garage with your top open. I have seen too many soft tops in my service bay ripped open like a tin can. It takes 15 seconds to close and open, it's not worth the risk.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I can't, we sold those Gladiators the day after we got them in. As a rule of thumb, I never recommend going into a garage with your top open. I have seen too many soft tops in my service bay ripped open like a tin can. It takes 15 seconds to close and open, it's not worth the risk.
I guess I've been spoiled in my 2 door jk with Bestop glide top. Easy to open and close from inside with 1 hand and it only adds about 4" of height when opened. The gladiator top looks like it adds 10" easy and will require exiting the vehicle to open and close... Bummer.

lux

First Name
Lux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
This will be my first jeep and planning on ordering a premium soft top. Glad to hear good reviews so far.

I’m still shocked at how many SoCal jeep owners opt for the hard top given our great weather.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
So, just curious about the back window now. Do you have to remove the back window if you flip open the top. I would assume that you don't, but most of the reviewers don't mention it. They also don't mention how difficult it is to put the back window back in.
Sponsored