Sponsored

Ford F150 Lightning reveal light a fire under Gladiator 4xe

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Just curious if the Ford F150 reveal tomorrow lights a fire under the Gladiator 4xe. I'm guessing this is more of a gauntlet throw at Ram trucks than the Gladiator. It would still be nice to get some Gladiator update as I need something by the end of the year and a Gladiator 4xe might fit the need. Hopefully all of the 4xe gremlins are squashed by then.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I do not think the electrified JT will have the 2.0L so Jeep will have to develop a V6 hybrid & somehow not ruin the poor payload capacity the Gladiator already suffers from. By the end of the year? Unlikely.
Maybe a Wrangler 4xe + a trailer would work better for you.

OP
OP

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
If early reports of the F150 Lightning are correct, I might hold out for its release. I'm good with standard range at $40K prior to the federal and state rebates of $7500 fed and $2500 state. Net $30K for a solid pick-up. Sold.
I'll have to wait for the top off / doors off experience. I would love a Gladiator 4xe or electric. Maybe it will be ready when I can trade the F150 after three years. I'd love a Wrangler 4xe, too, which is cool. But to quote C&D, it's not $50K cool. The Wranglers can't even tow what my KL Cherokee can tow (4500 lbs) with no problem.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
So... 🤔 do y’all understand why
- the gladiator can be EV or Hybrid and haul/tow?
- see why wrangler is now a hold spot for open top EV?
- why Ford KNOWS the Rivian R1 is a threat? (And the Axial truck)
Payload 1800lbs
Towing 10,000 lbs
Charging @ 150kw = under 1 hour
Can (as we just found out with Model 300 Tesla) use power from truck to power house ie reverse charging.
Range truck can estimate weight and you can tell it what you are towing and it will estimate based on route you are towing. 😁 no range estimate yet... because they don’t know what battery tech will be available on roll out I am guessing.

Base price = $40K
Platinum top of line long range = $90k

As Batteries get cheaper price comes down.

Chebby’s answer??? with my F’n money (I want my ROI since the government decided to invest my money in them by way of a tax payer bailout in 2010)

A 9000lb EV Hummer 🤣 again Chebby goes all show and no go! We will bail their butts out again, mark my words.sorry Chebby lovers, I can’t get on board with their anti American culture.

No worries my Gladiator loving friends, open top Jeep trucks will only get better!

Sponsored

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
I think the F150 Lightning was more aimed at Tesla, Rivian, and GM. Ford wanted to show they can play in the EV game and honestly I am happy they went with something that looks like a truck and on paper seems reasonable.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I just made a reservation for a Lightning. Looks interesting.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The EV Bronco will be coming soon, Jeep had better be getting ready.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I love love love L O V E all the hell Ford is catching on social media over this. The truck is ugly. It's also a PIG. The battery pack alone weighs nearly a full ton, not counting the electric motors and ancillary parts. And the cherry on top is that they ruined yet another hallowed nameplate. Now the Mustang, Mach, and Lightning names have all been dilluted and defiled on EVs. The Ford purists are P***ED and I think it's hilarious.

The optional battery only gets you 300 miles of range. Ford is too chicken to disclose kWh specs, but it's believed to be 150-180 kWh battery capacity. So, figure $15 to $20 every time you charge it, and then you've got a maximum of 300 miles to drive in perfect conditions, but 250 or less in average conditions. That's approximately $0.07 per mile or so? $0.09 per mile? Just barely better than the Jeep 4xe, and just barely better than the current diesel powered 1/2 ton trucks.

I grew up a die hard Ford guy. But after 2011 they really lost direction and took a major wrong turn in the marketplace and I bailed and haven't looked back.

Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Those stats actually far outshine the Jeep hybrid solution by quite a bit. I don't know how much the Jeep batteries weigh but they don't get you anywhere close to 300 miles on a charge.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Won't do anything for the Gladiator in its current iteration.

Maybe when Jeep decides to bring the 4XE to the gladiator, but at that point I think Jeep will go full EV. But I don't see that for at least three years. Jeeps market is offroading, and until there is something major that hits the offroading market that is fully electric, they will bide their time.

Those stats actually far outshine the Jeep hybrid solution by quite a bit. I don't know how much the Jeep batteries weigh but they don't get you anywhere close to 300 miles on a charge.
Outshines is a far cry from what I would say it is. On par and close to the same range, sure. But comparing them directly is apples to oranges. The 4XE isn't supposed to give you a large amount of mileage. Just around 30 I believe.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Jeep only has 20 miles of range, about ten times less. BUT, it only costs $1.80 to $2.35 depending on utility rates to charge it up, which is also ten times less than the Ford. So it's all relative.

And I think the main point is that NONE of them truly save money. You're simply taking the same amount of money you used to spend at the gas pump and now you're giving it to the utility company. But the net result is the same.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... they ruined yet another hallowed nameplate. Now the Mustang, Mach, and Lightning names have all been dilluted and defiled on EVs. The Ford purists are P***ED and I think it's hilarious.
I am with you regarding EV technology in general= not-quite-ready-for-prime-time until battery & infrastructure are improved.

That being said, why wouldn't the fastest ever, best-handling F150 not be worthy of the 'Lightning' moniker? 🤷‍♂️

PS: Yeah it's pretty ugly lol

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
I love love love L O V E all the hell Ford is catching on social media over this. The truck is ugly. It's also a PIG. The battery pack alone weighs nearly a full ton, not counting the electric motors and ancillary parts. And the cherry on top is that they ruined yet another hallowed nameplate. Now the Mustang, Mach, and Lightning names have all been dilluted and defiled on EVs. The Ford purists are P***ED and I think it's hilarious.

The optional battery only gets you 300 miles of range. Ford is too chicken to disclose kWh specs, but it's believed to be 150-180 kWh battery capacity. So, figure $15 to $20 every time you charge it, and then you've got a maximum of 300 miles to drive in perfect conditions, but 250 or less in average conditions. That's approximately $0.07 per mile or so? $0.09 per mile? Just barely better than the Jeep 4xe, and just barely better than the current diesel powered 1/2 ton trucks.

I grew up a die hard Ford guy. But after 2011 they really lost direction and took a major wrong turn in the marketplace and I bailed and haven't looked back.
Just curious about your numbers compared to gas. If a gas truck gets 18 MPG, that is approx 14 gal for 250 miles. Times $3 per gallon is $41.67 per 250 miles. That is $0.17 per mile. Seems your numbers prove the electric is better in that sense. I also grew up a diehard Ford guy and have owned many F-150s. I don't think I'll trade the JT for one of these but I think Ford did a nice job with this.
Sponsored