Sponsored

Fox Steering Stabilizer removal question?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
So today I took my JT to get it's 3rd oil change, 18,400 miles. I put a Fox Steering Stabilizer on at about 8,000 miles after buying Rubicon suspension take offs and installing it on my jeep. I did it mainly to have everything shock wise being fox brand, to match the rubicon fox shocks.

Well today I was going to mention the Steering box TSB to my service dept so I removed it and threw the stock stabilizer back on just in case they checked and saw the Fox one on and tried to say maybe it was that. Keep in mind also I got no steering issues going on I just figured if they are going to do it for free might as well get it done.

To my surprise the jeep feels better with the stock stabilizer on over the Fox and also I noticed I gained some turning radius that I didn't realize I had lost with the Fox stabilizer installed. Mainly the turning radius was the most noticable thing and it was a decent amount. I tried in 2 spots doing u turns that I thought was due to just it being a jeep as far as getting through the turn and with the stock stabilizer I was able to whip it right around. I let the wife drive it and said nothing to her and she said the same thing that it definitely turned and made u turns better.

My question is has anyone threw the stock stabilizer back on and noticed this. I don't think I'll be putting the Fox one back on at this point, pretty much seems like I wasted $149 on it. I got the Steering box scheduled to come in on 2-20 and I'll see what happens with mine after that and definitely report back if it makes a difference or not.
Sponsored

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is it the through shaft version?

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I remember seeing a few threads about the non-TS fox model not being too great and actually causing some pulling to the right. The TS is excellent and is noticeably better. I had some DW issues WITH the TS stabilizer and ended up upgrading my steering the MC HD steering kit. It came with a high clearance Rocksport stabilizer. I removed my TS and installed the Rocksport and my DW became even worse. I now have both the Fox TS and the Rocksport installed.

20201122_205942.jpg

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I remember seeing a few threads about the non-TS fox model not being too great and actually causing some pulling to the right. The TS is excellent and is noticeably better. I had some DW issues WITH the TS stabilizer and ended up upgrading my steering the MC HD steering kit. It came with a high clearance Rocksport stabilizer. I removed my TS and installed the Rocksport and my DW became even worse. I now have both the Fox TS and the Rocksport installed.

20201122_205942.jpg
Mine steers no different either way. My steering isn't bad I just don't understand why people put them on. I can drive without one on mine and not get DW on it. I only bought it to match the shocks, may end up selling it. The stock ones is plenty enough

Sponsored

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I had a bad steering box and the Skyjacker lift I had installed did not provide enough caster with its control arms. My steering was terrible and had occasional/intermittent DW that was progressively getting worse due to my tires wearing poorly. I started with upgrading the stabilizer to the Fox TS, then added the Synergy brace before eventually upgrading the entire steering. The stabilizer and Synergy brace pretty much eliminated the steering wander and 10-2 dead spot but the DW only stopped after I added the adjustable FCA's and ran my caster way out. This is a pic with both stabilizers that I currently run with.

20210115_083646.jpg

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You're correct though, if you don't have any steering issues then you shouldn't need to upgrade the stabilizer.

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I got the steering TSB done, and it seems the exact same as it was, maybe even worse. I am wondering it is worth it to change out the stock one.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I got the steering TSB done, and it seems the exact same as it was, maybe even worse. I am wondering it is worth it to change out the stock one.
I'm not sure. I've been on the fence about getting the steering box replaced since mine doesn't drive bad but I figured since I'm going to be running 37's after my 35's wear out I should probably get it done. Seems like a steel box would be better than a aluminum box but I have no solid evidence either way. I got the TSB scheduled just waiting on the box to come in. As far as the steering stabilizer, I put the stock one back on about 4 weeks ago and I haven't taken it off. My OCD is telling me to put the Fox one back on just for looks but I swear I was losing turning radius with it installed. The Jeep seems to make u turns with more ease with the stock stabilizer on. As far as driving and steering wheel feel goes, I feel no difference between the stock one and the Fox one other than the turning radius being worse with the Fox one on. I just wonder has anyone else felt a difference because it was pretty substantial, even my wife said it was making u turns a lot better.

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine steers no different either way. My steering isn't bad I just don't understand why people put them on. I can drive without one on mine and not get DW on it. I only bought it to match the shocks, may end up selling it. The stock ones is plenty enough
I'm assuming you have near stock size tires and no lift? If so, why did you buy an aftermarket steering stabilizer to begin with if you don't know why people put them on? I would say the factory one is probably good enough for yours.

I have two reasons for me personally, 1) I am running wide 37" tires which can introduce additional unwanted feedback (or kickback) on the steering when offroading both low and high speed, and 2) I like a heavier feel to my steering than the stock one provided. I added in the Fox Factory Race Series 2.0 ATS adjustable stabilizer to mine which allows me to dial in exactly the feel I want. If I go to 40's I'll be already setup. It compliments the major suspension changes mine has to give me an excellent driving experience on and off road.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I have the ā€œbasicā€ fox steering damper. Short of a faulty damper unit, it does none of the things people complain about.

-it does not cause pull
-it does not reduce turning radius
-it does not make turning one direction more difficult than the other

it works fine. Iā€˜d double check your part number to make sure the vendor gave you the correct one and investigate from there. again, unless the unit os faulty, anyone that says they ā€œcould feel it pushing the vehicle right because it isnt a TSā€ was looking for a reason to justify buying a TS.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have the ā€œbasicā€ fox steering damper. Short of a faulty damper unit, it does none of the things people complain about.

-it does not cause pull
-it does not reduce turning radius
-it does not make turning one direction more difficult than the other

it works fine. Iā€˜d double check your part number to make sure the vendor gave you the correct one and investigate from there. again, unless the unit os faulty, anyone that says they ā€œcould feel it pushing the vehicle right because it isnt a TSā€ was looking for a reason to justify buying a TS.
It's the right one, I just don't feel a difference in how it drives and I do feel reduction in turing Radius. It also doesn't feel faulty or look bad to me based on other Steering stabilizers I've ran and based on the Teraflex one I had on my JKU when it went bad I knew it and could tell it. I've always felt if you have a dialed in setup you can run without them and I've driven my JT on a few occasions for a few days without one and had no issues. Learned from some old school wheelers that that was the best way to check for worn parts or to see if you got everything right once you lift a jeep.

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, mine isn't pulling at all either way, just I can tell the u turn radius is less with the Fox one installed. I didn't say anything to my wife and the first time she made a u turn in it she ask me if I had done anything new to the jeep because it whipped around a lot easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming you have near stock size tires and no lift? If so, why did you buy an aftermarket steering stabilizer to begin with if you don't know why people put them on? I would say the factory one is probably good enough for yours.

I have two reasons for me personally, 1) I am running wide 37" tires which can introduce additional unwanted feedback (or kickback) on the steering when offroading both low and high speed, and 2) I like a heavier feel to my steering than the stock one provided. I added in the Fox Factory Race Series 2.0 ATS adjustable stabilizer to mine which allows me to dial in exactly the feel I want. If I go to 40's I'll be already setup. It compliments the major suspension changes mine has to give me an excellent driving experience on and off road.
Yeah mines near stock, I only bought it to match the Rubcion Fox shocks I put on when I installed the Rubcion Suspension. I didn't install it because I need improved steering, I installed it just for looks basically but I didn't think it would make a huge difference as far as steering goes either way. I just figured it would keep driving the same and for most part it did and I didn't realize I had lost any turning radius until I put the stock one back on because I was going to the dealership to get them to order the New steering box and I figured if they needed to look at anything it would better to have the stock stuff back on.

Yeah this is stock :CWL:

Jeep Gladiator Fox Steering Stabilizer removal question? PXL_20201219_123525410
Sponsored