First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Defense Contractor
Wanting to mount fridge in bed on rebel off road no drill slide but want a unit that fits under a tonneau cover....any recommendations?
Sponsored

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
Unfortunately, the shortest I've seen for fridges is 18-18.5. Would still put you over size with the tray. I've been looking for a short one as well and haven't had much success.

OP
OP
AngryIrishman

AngryIrishman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Defense Contractor
Unfortunately, the shortest I've seen for fridges is 18-18.5. Would still put you over size with the tray. I've been looking for a short one as well and haven't had much success.
Just came across the Dometic CFX 35W which looks like it might just barely fit. The tray slide doesn't look that tall so this might just work with a soft tonneau cover

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Yeah the 35 is the only one short enough for tonneau work on the JT. My 50 is way to tall on the slide.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
My Whynter fridge/freezer is way too tall to fit under a bed cover. That's why I removed the rear seats and built a platform for it.

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Or if you’re willing to think outside the box maybe this would work...

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pr...refrigerators/dometic-coolmatic-cd-30-_-55611
Good idea (thanks for posting) but it's $671.00 for less than 0.71 cu. foot (21.24 quarts) of cold storage...

Dometic CD-020 CD-020DCB-D65A Black Drawer Refrigerator Built-in 0.71 CU FT 20 Liter 12/24V DC (pic below)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NT72FX...0-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2

For comparison, here's a 20 quart Grizzly cooler shown in the back of a Jeep Wrangler. It's $200 at Quadratec:
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 5.17.54 PM.png

Here's the Dometic drawer...
51VyFzYldxL._SL1000_.jpg

And here's what the 20 quart cooler looks like inside just to get an idea on the "usable space" of it...
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 5.20.25 PM.png

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
My 50 qaurt dometic is about the same size at my 70quart Coleman. The compressor eats up about that much space but never having to worry about ice is nice. I'm headed to King of the Hammers in a couple days and I'll be there without any trips off for 9 days. I have my big 80 quart yeti knock off I'm putting 2
Big blocks and some cube in and a shit ton of drinks in and this is drinks only. The 50 quart will hold enough food for 3 full grown men for that time easily and no worries about it getting soggy. My lithium battery back will run the fridge by itself for 2 days and with as much moving as we will be doing chasing our race car around I have no need to even drag a solar panel out but I can if need be. I've yet to meat a cooler that can keep up with a 12volt fridge when it comes to that kind of longevity.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My 50 qaurt dometic is about the same size at my 70quart Coleman. The compressor eats up about that much space but never having to worry about ice is nice. I'm headed to King of the Hammers in a couple days and I'll be there without any trips off for 9 days. I have my big 80 quart yeti knock off I'm putting 2
Big blocks and some cube in and a shit ton of drinks in and this is drinks only. The 50 quart will hold enough food for 3 full grown men for that time easily and no worries about it getting soggy. My lithium battery back will run the fridge by itself for 2 days and with as much moving as we will be doing chasing our race car around I have no need to even drag a solar panel out but I can if need be. I've yet to meat a cooler that can keep up with a 12volt fridge when it comes to that kind of longevity.
The issue is fitting a fridge/cooler under a bed cover. I assume your 50 quart Dometic will not.

In regard to your cooler have you thought about using dry ice? Way better than blocks of ice.

Tell me about your lithium battery pack please

(Have a great time at KoH! Post a thread and pics about your trip)

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The issue is fitting a fridge/cooler under a bed cover. I assume your 50 quart Dometic will not.

In regard to your cooler have you thought about using dry ice? Way better than blocks of ice.

Tell me about your lithium battery pack please

(Have a great time at KoH! Post a thread and pics about your trip)
It will not.
IMG_20200105_125750.jpg

The battery pack I have is similar to the goalzero 400. It's made by Rockpals and has been working pretty well.
IMG_20200126_202827.jpg
IMG_20200126_202831.jpg
IMG_20200126_202843.jpg

I have tried dry ice but it's still not as good as the fridge.
Best bet for coolers is actually to use two. Keep one closed as much as possible with food and another for beverages.
Another problem is you have a harder time resuppling. Even with dry ice taking grocery store pickups that don't start out frozen will use most of the energy to cool it down.

It can be done. But I love my fridge as the planning is easier and never needing ice is awesome. It's so cold up here currently I'm actually going to go poor 4 or 5 gallons of water in there and leave the lid cracked so that freezes before heading south. Keeping beverages cold is better to let them hang in cold water. Food needs to be dryer.

I got by for years on a cooler and smart packing. But now... I'll never go back.

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
Seems the ARB Classic II 60L will work and even with a slider...I'm testing that out next week...

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
Very curious to know if this works.
The ARB Classic II 60L fridge works with the Transit cover and the Snowmaster fridge slider (shallowest slider). You do have to open the first lip of the tonneau to allow it to slide out, but that's because that outer lip is thicker...overall fits great and been in use for a week now no issues...

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.25.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.25.52 AM.png
Sponsored