Sponsored

From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
My 'how-to' of standing out and getting sponsored by my favorite brands

What I am about to tell you is a way, not the way. This is my personal journey, not necessarily the best get-sponsored guide you'll ever read. I will also note; I do not believe in Affiliate Marketing, I don't pass out discount codes and get a commission, and I don't like companies that publicly advertise sponsoring just to give you 5% off for doing the work of a real sponsorship!

Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. IMG_6475.JPG
Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. 0331210939

[Left: I'm second in line at Truck Hero's "Industry Ride" near Moab. Right: Along Hell's Revenge Jeep Badge of Honor Trail]​

A lot of eager off-road enthusiasts have asked me over the years, "how do I get sponsored!?" and to be honest I've always had a rough time giving out a straight answer. A lot goes into sponsorships from both sides, and what works for one person won't always work for another. Your goal should be becoming someone worth sponsoring, not just being sponsored. What that sounds like is usually "work hard, love what you do, know the right people, and get lucky." But that's what everyone says!

Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. image

[The first shipment I received from Truck Hero specifically for my 2020 Jeep Gladiator]
I actually wasn't interested in Jeeps until about 2013 after my second deployment to the Middle East. My lovely wife had asked to see a used 2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU and I fell in love at first drive. The interior and drivability felt just like an old "RG" series that I drove in the service and for some strange reason - I liked that. I went through quite a few phases as I got older, first it was muscle cars, then it was lowered street cars on big wheels, and suddenly I was completely hooked on Jeep. I had to get one of my own, so shortly after that I found a 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ and got to work. I probably searched every possible DIY mod and transformed that old XJ in a matter of weeks, but it didn't feel the same. While it was an awesome little rig, I managed to trade it to an auction house and left with another 2008 JKU just like my wife's.

I did have a small background in off-roading back then. I was a trained Master Driver / Instructor at Ft. Bragg, NC and spent thousands of hours behind the wheel of some of the US Military's biggest trucks on some of the wildest roads you can imagine. But I am not wealthy enough to outright buy anything I want, so like many before me I started researching sponsorships. I learned a lot about how the process should work, and what just doesn't. Like every other guide out there, I have to start by telling you to stay motivated, you will receive hundreds of rejections. Some companies are looking for specific vehicles only, some look for specific types of people, others want a big following on the right platform, some companies just aren't sponsoring due to company policy. Every company has different goals for sponsorship marketing and what you provide them is a huge decision factor. How are you different? What do you bring to the table?

Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. 0616171710

[My 2008 Jeep Wrangler sitting with Rugged Ridge / Omix-ADA at an event]
What I lacked in being a professional social media star I made up for in practical experience. I knew how to teach off-roading, I knew how to wheel and mod safely, and most importantly I knew how to talk to people. I made an email template that I could use for my proposals, with a couple sections that I would tailor to make sense to the respective company. I always mentioned a brand's products I already used, products they made that I liked, and problems I needed solutions for - solutions they already had. Of course a company already knows they solve problems, that's why the sell the product. It's up to you seeking sponsorship to show them that they have a problem too, a problem with a solution you already have. Now, I didn't tell companies they had problems! I told them what I could do for them and provide Return On their Investment (ROI). And you need to think carefully about both what that investment is and what your ROI will be to them. Maybe you plan to ask for something of high value, does what you offer them reflect that cost? Maybe you want to start small; ask a local car wash if they will help you enter a nearby car show and hand out flyers or coupons for a wash. Maybe that catches on and you never pay a local car show fee again! But don't just say you'll run a couple decals, if they cared about that I would be slapping them to traffic lights all over the country! Do a little research, a lot of people ask for sponsorships every day so many brand websites have dedicated information for you to help - whether that's a form to fill out, a checklist to tally, or a request for a full proposal in the first email.

I sent proposals to dozens and dozens of brands, local businesses that were in the off-road or truck industry, companies that made Jeep parts I wanted, and companies that already sponsor people on social media. My first sponsor to ever say yes, out of all those emails, was Rugged Ridge - I mentioned luck right? Rugged Ridge was willing to give me a chance for one season and would review if the ROI was worth it before deciding if they would continue. They were happy to assist with my build and were excited to see what I could do. I spent the season travelling to meet them at local shows and providing my Jeep to display and let people see all these awesome mods Rugged Ridge sells. I also started talking to my friends and family, spreading the word, and meeting like-minded Jeep people to hang out with and run trails together. Some guides will also tell you your first sponsor is the hardest, so I kept asking, and later that year I was also in partnership with Dynatrac.

After that season, we kept working together. Adding things here and there, discussing future developments, and helping people decide how to move forward with their own builds at shows and trail rides. I worked with Rugged Ridge and Dynatrac for a couple years but my Jeep was showing its age quick. After some discussion with them I took a hiatus from Jeep shows that lasted until the 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT finally released. Taking a few years off seemed like a dream killer, but when I got home with my new JT I gave it another shot.

The last time I had talked with Rugged Ridge / Omix-ADA they were a 30 million dollar company but in that time they had been acquired by Truck Hero - now a multi billion dollar family of brands. My primary contact at Rugged Ridge also got a promotion, and just by knowing the right people I was instantly sponsored by the parent of the biggest off-road manufacturers in the world. The team at Rugged Ridge now working under Truck Hero knew what I could do, and I had managed to get my JT before they got theirs, which was excellent in their eye as they could build across multiple Jeeps using different options. So what ended up happening was Truck Hero asked what I wanted, what my goals and ideas were, and they built their other JT the opposite. That allowed me to display at shows like never before, between all of their branded Jeeps mine would be the only one showing certain products.

Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. 0328211339a

[Taking a break in White Wash Sand Dunes with Trail Recon]
The idea was to unveil my Gladiator at SEMA 2020 but of course, 2020 didn't happen. So we packed it in and the following Spring brought it to the 2021 Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah. It wasn't quite the SEMA venue we wanted at first but I was lucky to be invited here and spend a week with industry professionals. At this point I felt I was still the newbie, but everyone out there took me right under their wing - as they would any Jeep enthusiast in freaking MOAB! Soon after I was everywhere. Since then I have done the most extensive travelling of my life. In Summer 2021 we visited 16 states for shows and trail rides, this year so far we've done three countries for shows, photo-ops, trails and overlanding. I've had the pleasure of installing and featuring brand new products, including being the first to debut the Gladiator specific lift kit by Superlift Suspension and the Rugged Ridge Gladiator Roof Rack at last year's NJJP Invasion.

Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. Screenshot_20220706-193345
Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. Screenshot_20220706-193518
Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. Screenshot_20220706-193613

Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. Screenshot_20220706-193651
Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. Screenshot_20220706-193716

[A collection of Jeep and off-road brands using my image]​

So I guess they were right after all; work hard, love what you do, know the right people, and get lucky. It can get exhausting sending emails all the time but it's just the nature of the beast. Keep doing what you love, keep getting out on the trails and to the expos, and one day you might just talk to the right person. I can't wait to see what you do! My inbox is always open here and on Instagram @ethannewago.

Current Sponsors
Truck Hero; Rugged Ridge, Superlift Suspension, N-FAB, AVS
Redline Tuning
DO Designs
MEK Magnet​
Sponsored

KoBear

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gobi JTR
Where in NJ ya at?

Sponsored

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
My 'how-to' of standing out and getting sponsored by my favorite brands

What I am about to tell you is a way, not the way. This is my personal journey, not necessarily the best get-sponsored guide you'll ever read. I will also note; I do not believe in Affiliate Marketing, I don't pass out discount codes and get a commission, and I don't like companies that publicly advertise sponsoring just to give you 5% off for doing the work of a real sponsorship!

Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. 1657155444667
Jeep Gladiator From a total newbie to a sponsored, full-time adventurer. 1657155444667

[Left: I'm second in line at Truck Hero's "Industry Ride" near Moab. Right: Along Hell's Revenge Jeep Badge of Honor Trail]​

A lot of eager off-road enthusiasts have asked me over the years, "how do I get sponsored!?" and to be honest I've always had a rough time giving out a straight answer. A lot goes into sponsorships from both sides, and what works for one person won't always work for another. Your goal should be becoming someone worth sponsoring, not just being sponsored. What that sounds like is usually "work hard, love what you do, know the right people, and get lucky." But that's what everyone says!

[The first shipment I received from Truck Hero specifically for my 2020 Jeep Gladiator]
I actually wasn't interested in Jeeps until about 2013 after my second deployment to the Middle East. My lovely wife had asked to see a used 2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU and I fell in love at first drive. The interior and drivability felt just like an old "RG" series that I drove in the service and for some strange reason - I liked that. I went through quite a few phases as I got older, first it was muscle cars, then it was lowered street cars on big wheels, and suddenly I was completely hooked on Jeep. I had to get one of my own, so shortly after that I found a 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ and got to work. I probably searched every possible DIY mod and transformed that old XJ in a matter of weeks, but it didn't feel the same. While it was an awesome little rig, I managed to trade it to an auction house and left with another 2008 JKU just like my wife's.

I did have a small background in off-roading back then. I was a trained Master Driver / Instructor at Ft. Bragg, NC and spent thousands of hours behind the wheel of some of the US Military's biggest trucks on some of the wildest roads you can imagine. But I am not wealthy enough to outright buy anything I want, so like many before me I started researching sponsorships. I learned a lot about how the process should work, and what just doesn't. Like every other guide out there, I have to start by telling you to stay motivated, you will receive hundreds of rejections. Some companies are looking for specific vehicles only, some look for specific types of people, others want a big following on the right platform, some companies just aren't sponsoring due to company policy. Every company has different goals for sponsorship marketing and what you provide them is a huge decision factor. How are you different? What do you bring to the table?

[My 2008 Jeep Wrangler sitting with Rugged Ridge / Omix-ADA at an event]
What I lacked in being a professional social media star I made up for in practical experience. I knew how to teach off-roading, I knew how to wheel and mod safely, and most importantly I knew how to talk to people. I made an email template that I could use for my proposals, with a couple sections that I would tailor to make sense to the respective company. I always mentioned a brand's products I already used, products they made that I liked, and problems I needed solutions for - solutions they already had. Of course a company already knows they solve problems, that's why the sell the product. It's up to you seeking sponsorship to show them that they have a problem too, a problem with a solution you already have. Now, I didn't tell companies they had problems! I told them what I could do for them and provide Return On their Investment (ROI). And you need to think carefully about both what that investment is and what your ROI will be to them. Maybe you plan to ask for something of high value, does what you offer them reflect that cost? Maybe you want to start small; ask a local car wash if they will help you enter a nearby car show and hand out flyers or coupons for a wash. Maybe that catches on and you never pay a local car show fee again! But don't just say you'll run a couple decals, if they cared about that I would be slapping them to traffic lights all over the country! Do a little research, a lot of people ask for sponsorships every day so many brand websites have dedicated information for you to help - whether that's a form to fill out, a checklist to tally, or a request for a full proposal in the first email.

I sent proposals to dozens and dozens of brands, local businesses that were in the off-road or truck industry, companies that made Jeep parts I wanted, and companies that already sponsor people on social media. My first sponsor to ever say yes, out of all those emails, was Rugged Ridge - I mentioned luck right? Rugged Ridge was willing to give me a chance for one season and would review if the ROI was worth it before deciding if they would continue. They were happy to assist with my build and were excited to see what I could do. I spent the season travelling to meet them at local shows and providing my Jeep to display and let people see all these awesome mods Rugged Ridge sells. I also started talking to my friends and family, spreading the word, and meeting like-minded Jeep people to hang out with and run trails together. Some guides will also tell you your first sponsor is the hardest, so I kept asking, and later that year I was also in partnership with Dynatrac.

After that season, we kept working together. Adding things here and there, discussing future developments, and helping people decide how to move forward with their own builds at shows and trail rides. I worked with Rugged Ridge and Dynatrac for a couple years but my Jeep was showing its age quick. After some discussion with them I took a hiatus from Jeep shows that lasted until the 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT finally released. Taking a few years off seemed like a dream killer, but when I got home with my new JT I gave it another shot.

The last time I had talked with Rugged Ridge / Omix-ADA they were a 30 million dollar company but in that time they had been acquired by Truck Hero - now a multi billion dollar family of brands. My primary contact at Rugged Ridge also got a promotion, and just by knowing the right people I was instantly sponsored by the parent of the biggest off-road manufacturers in the world. The team at Rugged Ridge now working under Truck Hero knew what I could do, and I had managed to get my JT before they got theirs, which was excellent in their eye as they could build across multiple Jeeps using different options. So what ended up happening was Truck Hero asked what I wanted, what my goals and ideas were, and they built their other JT the opposite. That allowed me to display at shows like never before, between all of their branded Jeeps mine would be the only one showing certain products.

[Taking a break in White Wash Sand Dunes with Trail Recon]
The idea was to unveil my Gladiator at SEMA 2020 but of course, 2020 didn't happen. So we packed it in and the following Spring brought it to the 2021 Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah. It wasn't quite the SEMA venue we wanted at first but I was lucky to be invited here and spend a week with industry professionals. At this point I felt I was still the newbie, but everyone out there took me right under their wing - as they would any Jeep enthusiast in freaking MOAB! Soon after I was everywhere. Since then I have done the most extensive travelling of my life. In Summer 2021 we visited 16 states for shows and trail rides, this year so far we've done three countries for shows, photo-ops, trails and overlanding. I've had the pleasure of installing and featuring brand new products, including being the first to debut the Gladiator specific lift kit by Superlift Suspension and the Rugged Ridge Gladiator Roof Rack at last year's NJJP Invasion.

[A collection of Jeep and off-road brands using my image]​

So I guess they were right after all; work hard, love what you do, know the right people, and get lucky. It can get exhausting sending emails all the time but it's just the nature of the beast. Keep doing what you love, keep getting out on the trails and to the expos, and one day you might just talk to the right person. I can't wait to see what you do! My inbox is always open here and on Instagram @ethannewago.

Current Sponsors
Truck Hero; Rugged Ridge, Superlift Suspension, N-FAB, AVS
Redline Tuning
DO Designs
MEK Magnet​
Thanks for the post. Something missing in so many lives is something with deep meaning but summed up in one word.

Passion. And you have it.

I use to have it and it’s been out of my life for enough years where I’m ashamed. I was living my life only for others. That’s changing.

Again, thank you for your post.

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Thanks for the post. Something missing in so many lives is something with deep meaning but summed up in one word.

Passion. And you have it.

I use to have it and it’s been out of my life for enough years where I’m ashamed. I was living my life only for others. That’s changing.

Again, thank you for your post.
I am glad to hear that's changing! And I wrote this specifically for someone who asked me on Facebook this morning about getting sponsored, so I figured what the heck I'll write it down and post it. A lot of people know I'm not the most coherent writer on this forum but if I can motivate one person to make an effort I'm happy. :like:

KoBear

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gobi JTR
I live in Ocean County now, lived all over Monmouth County previously.
nice. I’m up in somerset county. Just got my first jeep. Lmk when we’re gonna hit Rausch creek or the pine barrens!

Sponsored

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
nice. I’m up in somerset county. Just got my first jeep. Lmk when we’re gonna hit Rausch creek or the pine barrens!
I'm open to the Pines almost anytime. For PA I prefer AOAA, roughly the same drive but they only charge a day fee. Not a day fee plus an annual membership.