Sponsored

From Rubicon plastic bumper to Mopar steel bumper

peej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR10A
Anyone here remove their standard plastic rubicon bumper and install the Mopar steel bumper?

I purchased a 2nd hand JL steel bumper for my Rubicon and I’m worried I wasn’t provided all the parts to do a proper install. The seller notified me that the steel bumper was missing the harness that connects the two LED fog lights. But upon taking apart the guts of the plastic bumper, I noticed several differences between the two.

first, the led fog light’s on the steel bumper have different mounts than the mounts on the plastic bumper. Not a big deal as my harness should work and the seller included the LED fogs from the steel bumper group.

second, Should there be cylindrical crush bumpers (excuse my lack of a better term) that fit between the red tow hooks? The plastic bumper has a metal inlay that has two cylindrical metal pieces that lay in the middle of the mounting studs. And on the steel bumper, there appears to be round rub marks where these cylinder crush bumper should go. A parts diagram or microfiche of the steel bumper group would be incredibly helpful, but I don’t think one exists.

This is hard for me to explain, so thank you to those who bared with me. I’ll attach pictures of the rub marks and the cylinders I’m talking about. I think the steel bumper group has the cylinders mounted to the frame but I’m unsure.

2C84CD60-1957-486D-B431-D9B1617776FD.jpeg

1BAE60A2-A7CC-4FEC-9C58-387FEE27AF6C.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

peej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR10A
Figured it out. The crush cans I’m talking about are housed within the steel bumper, behind the plastic covers.

So this thread isn’t worthless, here’s a few things I learned if you are upgrading from the Rubicon Plastic bumper to the Mopar steel bumper.

- the plastic trim piece that goes between the bumper and grill is different between the two. They’re both made of plastic but the standard trim leaves a big gap when mounted with the steel bumper. Anyone know where to get the Mopar bumper’s trim piece?

- the standard plastic rubicon bumper does have a steel skid plate, but it doesn’t fit with the Mopar steel bumper. Modification is necessary or buy Mopar steel bumper specific skid plate & bracket & 4 Mopar nutserts to mount the brackets to different holes in the frame.

- Make sure if you’re buying a Mopar steel bumper that it’s pre-wired with the Fog light harness. With the Mopar bumper I bought, I had to reuse the harness from my original bumper, and pulling out the 8 or so push in clips that hold the harness pretty much destroys them.

BTW* Does anyone have a part number for these plastic Push in clips for the harness? I also need a part number for the bumper‘s threaded clips that the exterior torx bolts thread into.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
- the plastic trim piece that goes between the bumper and grill is different between the two. They’re both made of plastic but the standard trim leaves a big gap when mounted with the steel bumper. Does anyone know where to get the Mopar bumper’s trim piece?

--> If you're going to install a winch then you won't be able to use it. Also, you'll won't notice it missing even if you don't install a winch.

I also need a part number for the bumper‘s threaded clips that the exterior torx bolts thread into.

--> Home Depot metric M8-1.25 zinc flange nuts @ .72 cents ea.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Figured it out. The crush cans I’m talking about are housed within the steel bumper, behind the plastic covers.

So this thread isn’t worthless, here’s a few things I learned if you are upgrading from the Rubicon Plastic bumper to the Mopar steel bumper.

- the plastic trim piece that goes between the bumper and grill is different between the two. They’re both made of plastic but the standard trim leaves a big gap when mounted with the steel bumper. Anyone know where to get the Mopar bumper’s trim piece?

- the standard plastic rubicon bumper does have a steel skid plate, but it doesn’t fit with the Mopar steel bumper. Modification is necessary or buy Mopar steel bumper specific skid plate & bracket & 4 Mopar nutserts to mount the brackets to different holes in the frame.

- Make sure if you’re buying a Mopar steel bumper that it’s pre-wired with the Fog light harness. With the Mopar bumper I bought, I had to reuse the harness from my original bumper, and pulling out the 8 or so push in clips that hold the harness pretty much destroys them.

BTW* Does anyone have a part number for these plastic Push in clips for the harness? I also need a part number for the bumper‘s threaded clips that the exterior torx bolts thread into.
Congratulations on your find. I'm currently looking for one too here in St. Louis. When you get it installed, I'd appreciate a full update. Good luck with the install.