Front Axle Disconnect.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you hear a thrumming noise from your front end that goes away when you shift from 2Hi to 4Hi, take it to the dealer. I'm told there's a TSB now. Here's the worksheet.

Screenshot_20200218-163648_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Oh god please let this actually get my truck fixed, it's pretty clear there's a common issue and boy have I gone through hell trying to have this resolved

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I was told that a bushing was the problem. An upgraded bushing taking over 1 week from Michigan is being shipped to my local dealership. I see this as a stop gap before moving on to one piece axle shafts and a FAD delete kit and truss.

Stickyteflon

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Cherokee Trail Hawk, 2019 MX5 RF GTS
Vehicle Showcase
This just started happening with my truck last week. I took it in to my local dealership this morning and just got a call this evening that there is indeed excessive play in the FAD intermediate shaft and parts have been ordered. ETA is about a week or so. FYI my service department and the tech that rode with me have been great so far.

Also..
Because Iā€™m always the driver and never the passenger all I noticed was the noise like described before, but the tech said he could feel the vibration with the sound in the passenger footwell. Hope this helps someone. To me it sounds like the noise a spun bearing makes..

Iā€™ll update you all when it gets repaired

Sponsored

CanadianGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon gator
This just started happening with my truck last week. I took it in to my local dealership this morning and just got a call this evening that there is indeed excessive play in the FAD intermediate shaft and parts have been ordered. ETA is about a week or so. FYI my service department and the tech that rode with me have been great so far.

Also..
Because Iā€™m always the driver and never the passenger all I noticed was the noise like described before, but the tech said he could feel the vibration with the sound in the passenger footwell. Hope this helps someone. To me it sounds like the noise a spun bearing makes..

Iā€™ll update you all when it gets repaired

I just went into the dealership for this very problem yesterday, Dealership says they have ordered all the parts, and stat it ok to drive till the parts arrive.
I let them know that as long as they write it down on the bill and give me a copy they advise to drive it home and around im fine with that,
should something else break or gets worse it is on them at that point, it's fully warrantied..

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I posted this in the other thread. Moving my post here as this seems to be the thread with some more answers.

I am experiencing this same issue right now.
I experience a random low rumbling noise when in 2 high, but not in 4 high. If I take my son to school or drive to work 10 to 20 minutes Iā€™ll here at a minimum of 2 to 5 times. I just took this to the dealership yesterday, and they state theyā€™ve only been able to repeat it very well one time. I asked them to drive it home to see if they could hear the issue. I havenā€™t heard back on that yet.

They are getting their lead tech on it tomorrow and going to run more quality tests on it. They are trying to tell me that everything is coming back normal. Everything is definitely not normal. Iā€™m going to send them this link.

@JeepCares - I sent you a PM. Thanks in advance for your help.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in the other thread. Moving my post here as this seems to be the thread with some more answers.

I am experiencing this same issue right now.
I experience a random low rumbling noise when in 2 high, but not in 4 high. If I take my son to school or drive to work 10 to 20 minutes Iā€™ll here at a minimum of 2 to 5 times. I just took this to the dealership yesterday, and they state theyā€™ve only been able to repeat it very well one time. I asked them to drive it home to see if they could hear the issue. I havenā€™t heard back on that yet.

They are getting their lead tech on it tomorrow and going to run more quality tests on it. They are trying to tell me that everything is coming back normal. Everything is definitely not normal. Iā€™m going to send them this link.

@JeepCares - I sent you a PM. Thanks in advance for your help.
There is nothing they can "test" for short of some disassembly. So unless they are willing to do that, they'll keep saying it's fine unless they actually hear/experience your sound. The root cause is INSIDE so it can't be seen or felt or diagnosed externally and there won't be any codes for it.

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
There is nothing they can "test" for short of some disassembly. So unless they are willing to do that, they'll keep saying it's fine unless they actually hear/experience your sound. The root cause is INSIDE so it can't be seen or felt or diagnosed externally and there won't be any codes for it.
Thanks for the reply.

Iā€™ll ask if theyā€™ve taken it apart. Iā€™m not crazy for asking them to do that, right?

Is there anything else youā€™d recommend I ask and help direct toward the problem area? I love my Jeep and wish I was more of a gear head right now.

Stickyteflon

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Cherokee Trail Hawk, 2019 MX5 RF GTS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply.

Iā€™ll ask if theyā€™ve taken it apart. Iā€™m not crazy for asking them to do that, right?

Is there anything else youā€™d recommend I ask and help direct toward the problem area? I love my Jeep and wish I was more of a gear head right now.
There is an actual TSB for this issue. The service manager and my tech showed it to me after I gently persuaded them to check for it. . They took mine apart to check for free play then went to one on the lot to check how it should be.. They said yep itā€™s faulty and ordered up the parts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
There is an actual TSB for this issue. The service manager and my tech showed it to me after I gently persuaded them to check for it. . They took my be apart to check for free play then went to one on the lot to check how it should be.. They said yep itā€™s faulty and ordered up the parts.
Thank you! Iā€™ll let fila here know how this goes.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Hi @jmeyer,

Just wanted to follow up on this, as we did not receive a PM from you.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thank you for the response. Don't know why my PM didn't go through, but I just resent another one. Thank you for your follow-up.

jmeyer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
My dealer just ordered parts for an intermediate shaft according to a TSB that came out recently. Does this sound right to anyone? They'll have the parts in 3-4 days so hopefully I'll have her back by the end of the week.
Sponsored