Front hitch receiver

RG48820

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Stinger GT2; Dodge Stealth RT/TT
I am considering getting a snow blade for my Rubicon. Most blade manufactures do not have a regilar receiver available for the Gladiator yet. There are a couple of models that mount to a front mount hitch receiver. These are relatively light duty blades but I won't be doing more than a few driveways.

I see a couple of front hitches available on Amazon and eBay. Has anyone installed one? Any issues? Concerns?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CC2R...olid=27FBK48FZHN92&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
7112yRTynUL._SL1500_.jpg
Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I have had front receivers on my last 2 tow vehicles. Makes parking my trailer easier at home.

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Additional $10 rebate from Etrailer.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering getting a snow blade for my Rubicon. Most blade manufactures do not have a regilar receiver available for the Gladiator yet. There are a couple of models that mount to a front mount hitch receiver. These are relatively light duty blades but I won't be doing more than a few driveways.

I see a couple of front hitches available on Amazon and eBay. Has anyone installed one? Any issues? Concerns?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CC2R...olid=27FBK48FZHN92&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
7112yRTynUL._SL1500_.jpg
I installed one of these on my Overland to use for mounting a winch. It went on fairly easy. It has instructions for cutting a hole in the front air dam, and brackets, so that it can be reinstalled. I did not put the air dam back until I installed the lights, so it doesn't show in these photos.

20190926_012009.jpg
20191003_150812.jpg
20191003_150823.jpg

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found this, look identical,
Best price looks like amazon.

742BD007-50BC-439C-9571-C8F20F1CEA3E.jpeg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have had front receivers on my last 2 tow vehicles. Makes parking my trailer easier at home.
Oh, man - that would sure make turning my trailer around and parking it a ton easier. Right now I have to pull my rig as farrrr to the west as I can in front of my shop, unhook the trailer, try to get my truck out of the way, then go get the lawn tractor and lower the trailer way down onto the ball on the lawn tractor and use it - what a pain. It works and it's a snap to move the trailer with an all-wheel-drive, all-wheel-steer tractor, but still....... I could face forward and see what I'm doing instead of a ton of back and forth.
So these are made for these trucks and you don't have to strip parts off and leave them off?
I could also use a winch without having a steel bumper..........

But Amazon doesn't show any that fit Gladiator - the one shown here says "sorry, does not fit your 2020 Gladiator" and when I hit the button to find one that will - sorry..........

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, man - that would sure make turning my trailer around and parking it a ton easier. Right now I have to pull my rig as farrrr to the west as I can in front of my shop, unhook the trailer, try to get my truck out of the way, then go get the lawn tractor and lower the trailer way down onto the ball on the lawn tractor and use it - what a pain. It works and it's a snap to move the trailer with an all-wheel-drive, all-wheel-steer tractor, but still....... I could face forward and see what I'm doing instead of a ton of back and forth.
So these are made for these trucks and you don't have to strip parts off and leave them off?

But Amazon doesn't show any that fit Gladiator - the one shown here says "sorry, does not fit your 2020 Gladiator" and when I hit the button to find one that will - sorry..........
The Curt Receiver is a bolt on option. It interferes with the front air dam, but it includes instructions to cut the air dam so it can be reinstalled. It does interfere with the front skid plate on the Rubicon. I don't know if it can be easily modified to fit back on over the receiver. The Curt instructions don't address that.

The receiver is a Curt 31086.
The winch carrier is a Curt 31009.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Curt Receiver is a bolt on option. It interferes with the front air dam, but it includes instructions to cut the air dam so it can be reinstalled. It does interfere with the front skid plate on the Rubicon. I don't know if it can be easily modified to fit back on over the receiver. The Curt instructions don't address that.
I wonder why Amazon says the draw-tite won't fit and these vehicles aren't listed. In fact when I did a search, it didn't find any hitch for these and yet when I clicked on the Curt link - it says it WILL fit my vehicle. Amazon is weird that way at times, I guess.

I was hoping to put a skid plate under the front of my Overland one of these days - heck, my Eagle has a really strong one you could lift the car with it - or hit rocks and hardly even scratch it and that's a car - and yet nothing on the front of this. Sort of surprised me.

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

According to the manufacture it will fit , Etrailer also shows it as as match. It is the same figment as current JL. The plastic air damm is removed. Hitch bolts to existing hole and a hole is cut in the damm using the supplied template and reattached. 30 minute job.

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the Draw-Tite 65079 from Amazon. Should arrive by mid next week. I will be post my experience in mounting and suitability.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
According to the manufacture it will fit , Etrailer also shows it as as match. It is the same figment as current JL. The plastic air damm is removed. Hitch bolts to existing hole and a hole is cut in the damm using the supplied template and reattached. 30 minute job.
I also confirmed on the Draw-tite web site and Etrailer and they both say it fits. They appear the same but the Draw-Tite version is formed for the other bolt locations where the Curt is another tab welded on. I ordered one of the 65079 Draw-Tite via Amazon - said there was one left when I ordered.
Bet I know who got the other one because it did say there were two....... LOL

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I installed one of these on my Overland to use for mounting a winch. It went on fairly easy. It has instructions for cutting a hole in the front air dam, and brackets, so that it can be reinstalled. I did not put the air dam back until I installed the lights, so it doesn't show in these photos.

20190926_012009.jpg
20191003_150812.jpg
20191003_150823.jpg
Did you wire in some kind of detachable plug down by the mount so you can take the winch on and off? If so what did you use? Ideally I want to get one and run it to the front and back recover to end up with a pretty flexible setup that I don't have to keep on all the time. Might also use the front hitch to cheat a little when parking a trailer.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you wire in some kind of detachable plug down by the mount so you can take the winch on and off? If so what did you use? Ideally I want to get one and run it to the front and back recover to end up with a pretty flexible setup that I don't have to keep on all the time. Might also use the front hitch to cheat a little when parking a trailer.
I used the Warn Quick Connects so that the winch is removable.

This one connects to the winch.
https://smile.amazon.com/WARN-36080...=1574008229&sprefix=warn+quick,aps,364&sr=8-9

This one connects to the power source.
https://smile.amazon.com/WARN-26405...=1574009001&sprefix=warn+quick,aps,364&sr=8-3

One of these two will put a connection on the other end.
https://smile.amazon.com/WARN-32966...=1574009094&sprefix=warn+quick,aps,364&sr=8-7
https://smile.amazon.com/WARN-32966...009094&sprefix=warn+quick,aps,364&sr=8-7&th=1

I also got some jumper cables.
https://smile.amazon.com/WARN-26771...=1574009151&sprefix=warn+quick,aps,364&sr=8-8

Covers for when plugs are not in use.
https://smile.amazon.com/WARN-69847...automotive&vehicleId=7&vehicleType=automotive

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Thanks for sharing. All I have got to say is wow, those are some expensive cables.

Did you end up wiring direct to your battery or to one of your Aux Switches?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing. All I have got to say is wow, those are some expensive cables.

Did you end up wiring direct to your battery or to one of your Aux Switches?
I used the 20 foot extension kit to install another battery at the back of the truck. The winch is powered by it, and AUX2 operates a relay that controls power to the winch. I use a Cole Hersee Smart Isolator (like used in the Genesis Dual Battery kit) to connect the batteries together.

Yes, the Warn cables are expensive. I looked at some of the generic cables, but the cost difference wasn't enough for me to hassle with going that route.
Sponsored