First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Looking for more informs on the Stanadyne FM100 30 micron pre fuel filter/water separator with inspection bowl and side mount heater. Will be installing a long range tank to the build as well. My main concern is getting fuel that has been contaminated either through water infiltration or other contaminates. Cause break down and limp mode is my main concern either in the sticks or down in Mexico. Without a way to deplete tank and replace filter you are pretty stuck. Also concerned with long term damage to the engine and prevention of clogged fuel system. Anyone use one of these? Have seen it used mainly in heavy equipment, but very popular as well in Australia for offroad diesel vehicles.
Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
If the Gladiator has a dual filter/water separator like my Grand Cherokee what makes you feel you need that redundancy?

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
If the Gladiator has a dual filter/water separator like my Grand Cherokee what makes you feel you need that redundancy?
At this time I am unsure what the diesel has in it. They haven’t released the engine in the gladiator. They have in the wrangler though. Now that said if the engine has a fuel water superstore that is accessible and able to emptied with reasonable access. I would not need a second unit. I would definitely want one especially getting fuel up in the northern territories, Alaska and even down in Baja and Mexico. Snot something I would want to ruin my trip with bad fuel.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
The engine has been in the ram and grand Cherokee in various forms for over 6 years and has had pretty much the same fuel filter/water separator setup across the generations of engines. If you want to get an idea of what the filter assembly is like I would suggest looking at the new JL configuration because it is more than likely to be similar. From the Wrangler diesel supplement it looks to be a single fuel filter for that application.

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...rangler/P111328_20_JL_D_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

I am curious about the layout of the diesel components as it appears there might be some things located outside of the frame rails. I went back to look at parts for my pending order and found AMP Reswarch exclude diesel for their steps meaning there is some sort of difference between the pinch welds and the frame rails. I suspect fuel system components. AMP appears to supply the steps for the Ram pickups so I’m guessing they are getting some pre-release info.

Jeep Gladiator Fuel Filter Water Seperator 1593957363122

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
From research on the JL. It seems the filter is located under the frame rail. The manual does show it under emptying the fuel/water separator. Seems as if it is a sensor Ed item. Where as a dash message comes on to tell you have water in fuel. You have to crawl under the truck to remove cover and drain fuel. No other way to inspect besides auto sensor. Now previous engines where second gen in all but the up third gen. All complaints that when they drained the filter for water they’d end up breaking the valve and having to replace along with the fuel filter.
I have some concerns about this when traveling in questionable areas Where you only have lsd available at a single station. I may end up either way Adding a second under engine fuel water separator that has an inspection bowl like the one I mentioned before. I may have some serious convos with my Jeep guy COP.

Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
If you look at any proper diesel system whether its an emergency generator or a prime mover On a marin vessel, there is always a pre filter manifold before reaching the engine.

usually its a 2 stage: 30ish micron water seperator and then a 5ish micron filter before reaching the engine and the hpfp.

This is AFTER an initial centrifuge like Alfa Laval to seperate the really nasty stuff....

most of the time the fuel pre filters were made by Raycor.

This is how much fuel filtration is necessary to safely supply diesel fuel to the engine.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm assuming the 2021 Gladiator will be like the 2020 Ram. There is a fuel filter under the driver door along the frame rail. It is simple to drain, just turn the valve and let the water out then close. To change the filter you unscrew the cap, drop the cartridge out, then replace. They redesigned the CP4.2 pump, so I'm sure the Mopar water separator filter is a high quality filter. If I were going on a long journey, I'd simply carry a spare with me.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
That's good insurance, specially if you travel to places like South America or Africa where fuel quality is.....not exactly guaranteed...

I'm assuming the 2021 Gladiator will be like the 2020 Ram. There is a fuel filter under the driver door along the frame rail. It is simple to drain, just turn the valve and let the water out then close. To change the filter you unscrew the cap, drop the cartridge out, then replace. They redesigned the CP4.2 pump, so I'm sure the Mopar water separator filter is a high quality filter. If I were going on a long journey, I'd simply carry a spare with me.

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
Is this for the diesel? Do JT gassers have one?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
gassers don't because the ethanol in the gas absorbs the water and get burned up.
Sponsored