Sponsored

Fuel Prices Increase = Tire Size Decrease?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24880
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 24880

Ok everyone this is totally for fun and not for political banner and yes I did not buy a Jeep to save on gas mileage before you ask. That being said everyone has a number so, how high will fuel per gallon have to get before you decide to drop tire size or maybe go back to OEM to help save mpg? I honestly don’t know what my number is but if they get close to $5.00/gal there is a damn good chance my OEMs will go on and the 35s will sit. Hopefully they stabilize soon but only time will tell. So what’s your thoughts?
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
It won't top out at $5 a gallon, they're already trying to get everyone used to the idea of $7 a gallon.

Honestly, if it's even a slight concern it's time to consider trading in. OE sized tires are not going to make enough difference to justify it. The easiest way to get your MPG's up is to do the speed limit and utilize cruise control as much as possible.

I am running 35's on my Rubi, have been since less than 700 miles on the JT. When I use CC and stay at the speed limit on interstate or highways I get 20 MPG +- some tenths. When I use the fun pedal, it drops to 15-16 MPG.

Eventually one of the outfits doing performance tunes for the 3.6 or 3.0 will start doing economy tunes too. Livernois did for the Explorer and I had the tuner in my `16 Explorer Sport. In economy mode it got close to 32 MPG on the interstate, in their "Sport" mode it got 12 MPG but damn the smiles.

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Once my 35’s wear out I’m going back to 33’s for better gas mileage but the current situation is not making me make that call

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I'm not overly worried. Worst case scenario I either work from home more and/or drive my Prius more for commuting.

IF gas prices get anywhere close to $5 then I'd recommend looking into a second, small, cheap, used commuter vehicle for just putting miles on. Save the miles (and gas) in the Jeep for fun time :like:

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
This sounds terrible but I would be ok with a short stretch of high priced gas if it meant people would start driving slower. Kentucky Ohio Indiana area is over populated by people going 80+ in every lane and weaving through traffic. I’m becoming a grumpy old man…

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Good thing my OEMs are sitting on a rack in the garage. LOL
Mine too,

but I don't daily mine, I have a 06 Altima, hopefully the wife will give up the 13' 528 I Msport, it get over 36 mpg, pretty sure I could squeeze a little more out of it, lol

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Honestly, if it's even a slight concern it's time to consider trading in. OE sized tires are not going to make enough difference to justify it. The easiest way to get your MPG's up is to do the speed limit and utilize cruise control as much as possible.
This says it all for anyone that increased fuel prices will impact significantly.

Personally, I'm gonna ride it out, regardless of what gas goes up to. Luckily, I have a company car that I'm required to drive for work, and they pay for the fuel. At least I can run 87 octane in my JTR. My wife's ATS-V requires premium. So.....that's gonna suck.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
My diesel gets great mileage even on 37’s. I still have the stockers but I don’t think it’s worth it to swap.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
This sounds terrible but I would be ok with a short stretch of high priced gas if it meant people would start driving slower. Kentucky Ohio Indiana area is over populated by people going 80+ in every lane and weaving through traffic. I’m becoming a grumpy old man…

No your not, that's just the new generations of unskilled drivers, they can drive 80 plus, weave in and out of traffic, but get them to turn, take a corner at speed, or stop the car safely after they lose control, cant be done, notice the skid marks on the highways, all over all the time, I shake my head, I used to drive into Orlando daily, many one car accidents daily around here,

and yes I've tested the lower speed and cruise to see what kind of mileage can be had, I've seen 23/24 but not much over 55mph, yawn, remember the pushing the brick/ a cow is more aerodynamic terms, no officer I havent been drinking, I drive a Jeep and its windy,

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
My diesel gets great mileage even on 37’s. I still have the stockers but I don’t think it’s worth it to swap.
Whats some numbers on the Diesel, ?? My buddy has a company in FL. Pela Motorsports big diesel tuner, I wonder if he'll get into the diesel Jeeps later on, mileage numbers might go up,

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Whats some numbers on the Diesel, ?? My buddy has a company in FL. Pela Motorsports big diesel tuner, I wonder if he'll get into the diesel Jeeps later on, mileage numbers might go up,

Using winter diesel and driving with the 4wd on some, I have never seen less than 24 mpg on stock tires. 27-28 is pretty easy to get if I stick to highways. 30+ is possible on summer Diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.