Full belly aluminum skid plate comparison

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Doing some research on full belly skid plates. I'm focused on aluminum, rather than steel. So this list purposefully omits all still. Question at the bottom on ground clearance impacts and installation experience.

BrandMaterialCostWeightInstallationFinishTransfer Case
Area Coverage*
Notes
Artec1/4" 6061 Aluminum$$$+10 lbsRemove gas tank skid; drill one holeNonefull1.5" lift required
Asfir1/4" 5052 Aluminum$+64 lbsBolt onNonepartialDifficult hidden nut on install
M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off-Road1/4" Aluminum$$$TBDbolt onNone (can be color powder-coatedpartialSuggest 1.5" lift for driveshaft clearance; could not determine weight
Next Venture1/4" 5052 Aluminum$$$$+20 lbsRemove gas tank skid; cut one bracketNonefull
Quadratec5052 Aluminum$$+123 lbsbolt onNonepartialLikely ¼" thick, but could not confirm
Rock Hard 4x41/4" Aluminum$$$+180 lbsbolt onBlack powdercoatfullHas replacement steel cross members

*Transfer Area Case Coverage: These products differ most in their approach to covering the transfer case area (the mid-section). Some are full-width and others are focus on the transfer case itself.

I don't have specific numbers in for cost... because they fluctuate. But I think that the relative rating might be helpful.

The Rock Hard is notable in that it's the biggest weight differential. Likely due to the replacement steel cross members, presumably beefy, given RH4x4's reputation, but not weighed separately; and because RH doesn't remove the OEM gas tank skid

The installs all look comparable, with maybe the exception of the Next Venture: cutting a bracket is a bigger deal than drilling a hole (Artec)

One factor that's very unclear is the difference in ground clearance LOST by these various skids.

Presumably, the Artec and Next Venture kits give up the least clearance, at least near the gas tank, because installation removes the OEM gas tank skid. But it's hard to determine specifics.

Additionally, Artec and M.O.R.E. have statements about requiring lift. It's unclear (from web info) if the additional hight on a JTR gives sufficient clearance. My guess is "no" but I'm not an expert in the subtle differences between JTR and other JT* suspensions.

Does anyone has thoughts/experience on the topic of ground clearance? And/or installation?
Sponsored

metalry101

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator, '18 JK Rubi, '17 Sienna, '89 Burb
Occupation
Like a job? What's that?
I'm eyeing the Quadratec stuff because it doesn't require a lift and the price is reasonable.

It is 6mm thick, which is .236" so almost 1/4" thick.

The weight you're quoting seems high. They include their own steel crossmembers, so they're certainly not the lightest of the group, but those do replace a factory crossmember or two, and the factory t-case skid so I'd imagine the actual weight added to the truck is lower than what you're listing by a little bit.

I would bet that all of these were test fitted on a Rubicon so the extra height would be above that height.

If I were using my truck harder, I'd probably go with Artec. The great clearance combined with the minimal added weight is awesome. Also, they're local to me and I've always heard great things about their products. (Not that I've heard bad things about the others.)

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
I installed the Artec skids on my JTR. The instructions provided are for a JL. Supposedly tank skid provides 1/2" more clearance than stock.

The motor mount assembly is different and they have a pic on their website of the correct installation for the motor mount brackets. I had to drill out the threads on the passenger motor mount bracket location to use their provided bolt, spacer and nut. The rear tank skid brackets are different on a JT as well and don't match the instructions for the JL. Also just modified my exhaust crossover on the passenger side this weekend because it was rattling on the bottom of the engine skid after the motor mounts settled more.

Drive truck until empty and use 2 straps to hold the factory tank up while removing the stock gas tank skid.

Also not sure on the lift requirement but the front diff clearance to the support bracket is the interference supposedly.

Glendawg619

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 2 door JKR, '20 JTR, '21 JTR Diesel
Build Thread
Link
im looking for a skid system as well, however I have a diesel. looks like most of the vendors dont support the diesel yet, if at all.

Sponsored

BattleRattle

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 LJ, '19 JLUR 2.0, '20 JLR 3.6
Occupation
Sales and Customer Relations @ Next Venture Motorsports
Doing some research on full belly skid plates. I'm focused on aluminum, rather than steel. So this list purposefully omits all still. Question at the bottom on ground clearance impacts and installation experience.

BrandMaterialCostWeightInstallationFinishTransfer Case
Area Coverage*
Notes
Artec1/4" 6061 Aluminum$$$+10 lbsRemove gas tank skid; drill one holeNonefull1.5" lift required
Asfir1/4" 5052 Aluminum$+64 lbsBolt onNonepartialDifficult hidden nut on install
M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off-Road1/4" Aluminum$$$TBDbolt onNone (can be color powder-coatedpartialSuggest 1.5" lift for driveshaft clearance; could not determine weight
Next Venture1/4" 5052 Aluminum$$$$+20 lbsRemove gas tank skid; cut one bracketNonefull
Quadratec5052 Aluminum$$+123 lbsbolt onNonepartialLikely ¼" thick, but could not confirm
Rock Hard 4x41/4" Aluminum$$$+180 lbsbolt onBlack powdercoatfullHas replacement steel cross members

*Transfer Area Case Coverage: These products differ most in their approach to covering the transfer case area (the mid-section). Some are full-width and others are focus on the transfer case itself.

I don't have specific numbers in for cost... because they fluctuate. But I think that the relative rating might be helpful.

The Rock Hard is notable in that it's the biggest weight differential. Likely due to the replacement steel cross members, presumably beefy, given RH4x4's reputation, but not weighed separately; and because RH doesn't remove the OEM gas tank skid

The installs all look comparable, with maybe the exception of the Next Venture: cutting a bracket is a bigger deal than drilling a hole (Artec)

One factor that's very unclear is the difference in ground clearance LOST by these various skids.

Presumably, the Artec and Next Venture kits give up the least clearance, at least near the gas tank, because installation removes the OEM gas tank skid. But it's hard to determine specifics.

Additionally, Artec and M.O.R.E. have statements about requiring lift. It's unclear (from web info) if the additional hight on a JTR gives sufficient clearance. My guess is "no" but I'm not an expert in the subtle differences between JTR and other JT* suspensions.

Does anyone has thoughts/experience on the topic of ground clearance? And/or installation?
What are your thoughts on UHMW vs bare aluminum? Thats a pretty big plus on our (Next Venture Motorsports) offering if you are into that.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
im looking for a skid system as well, however I have a diesel. looks like most of the vendors dont support the diesel yet, if at all.
So does Metalcloak if you go steel

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What are your thoughts on UHMW vs bare aluminum? Thats a pretty big plus on our (Next Venture Motorsports) offering if you are into that.
Honestly, I don't know anywhere NEAR enough to offer an informed opinion on that topic, lol. On paper, it looks amazing, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money for my usage pattern.

But I'm sure that there are smarter folks around here that have great perspective.

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm eyeing the Quadratec stuff because it doesn't require a lift and the price is reasonable.

It is 6mm thick, which is .236" so almost 1/4" thick.

The weight you're quoting seems high. They include their own steel crossmembers, so they're certainly not the lightest of the group, but those do replace a factory crossmember or two, and the factory t-case skid so I'd imagine the actual weight added to the truck is lower than what you're listing by a little bit.

I would bet that all of these were test fitted on a Rubicon so the extra height would be above that height.

If I were using my truck harder, I'd probably go with Artec. The great clearance combined with the minimal added weight is awesome. Also, they're local to me and I've always heard great things about their products. (Not that I've heard bad things about the others.)
Yes, Quadratec is 6mm (I recall doing the conversion in google, but apparently didn't write it down!); and yes, that's basically ¼"

I double-checked the Quadratec weights at the website: 123 lbs = 53 + 34 + 36 (engine + transfer case + gas tank). But you are correct that the total should be offset by the weight of the OEM transfer skid being taken off. Good upgrade!

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
not what you asked for but I weighed the artec and motobuilt options and went with motobuilt as I was thinking the steel will hold up better. in the end these are like consumables

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Saw the Artec set up at Overlanding expo in Flag a few months back. Looked REAL good.

Another great write up on what’s available. Thanks!

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Just want to confirm that aluminum is a great choice. My Artec belly and LCA skids have been dragged over and banged on lots of rocks. They have held up amazingly well. And with no rust! All for only 10 lbs or so in weight gain.

ASFIR 4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JK 2015
Hey @Glendawg619 if you're still in the market for aluminum underbelly protection for you diesel JT you're welcome to checkout our skids 😎

If there's anything we can help feel free to reach out here or at [email protected]

Cheers,
Reut @ ASFIR

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I have the Artec skid for reference. The stock cross members are replaced with a stainless steel cross member, and then the lowest part of the skid plate is around an inch below the frame. That is about where your stock transfercase skid hangs down.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with the skid itself hanging up on things.

Things to look for that aren't mentioned above:
- Inset bolts, you don't want any bolts sticking out that can get hung up or destroyed.
- The strength of the mounts, especially for the oil pan and gas plates. Some of these systems have mounts that look like they could take glancing hits, but not the full or event partial weight of the vehicle if it were to come to rest on the plate.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Rock Hard weight might drop as they also replace two cross members with machined steel ones, and although I can not find the thread, I believe Rock Hard was also giving 1/2” more clearance. I looked around pretty much and New Adventure Artec and Rock Hard were my favs. Have not decided if I’m getting full skids or not although I don’t want to lift my Mojave or go higher then one inch or do talker skinny tires….Jack
Sponsored