Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JT Overland Ecodiesel (EU spec)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Hi folks,

I was following all the recent announcements regarding hard- and softtoppers in the making, but so far I am missing something.

Does any manufacturer work on a bed topper that utilizes the Gladiator's removable hardtop?
There has been a mockup posted on this forum quite a while ago that shows exactly what I mean:
jeepgladiatorforum-1-jeep-gladiator-roof-rack-jpg-jpg.jpg

Would something like this be possible or rather problematic with regard to body flex / stiffness or sealing?
Would be neat to have a connected interior...
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Anything is possible but itā€™s not going to due to huge mechanical challenges caused by chassis flex/twist

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anything is possible but itā€™s not going to due to huge mechanical challenges caused by chassis flex/twist
Correct - because the box is mounted independently of the cabin, different mounts, there's going to be flex and twist. That's one reason there's a couple inches of space between the two - filled in with spacers.
Note that with other pickups when there's a topper and a sliding rear window, the link between the two is always flexible, not rigid (so dogs can crawl back and forth between cab and back)

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I have said many times in many threads on this topic it can be done. One must 1st get a measurement of the greatest flex between the cab and the bed. Then compensate for that flex with a flexible weatherproof product.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have said many times in many threads on this topic it can be done. One must 1st get a measurement of the greatest flex between the cab and the bed. Then compensate for that flex with a flexible weatherproof product.
That's the key - there has to be a flexible link. It cannot be rigid because the two move independently.
If there's a flexible link - then anything is possible. But it won't be a hard top front to rear. It will have a joint of some sort.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
That's the key - there has to be a flexible link. It cannot be rigid because the two move independently.
If there's a flexible link - then anything is possible. But it won't be a hard top front to rear. It will have a joint of some sort.
I am picturing something like you see on commuter trains. Much like an accordion.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am picturing something like you see on commuter trains. Much like an accordion.
Yup - like used on the articulating city buses, too.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
He's not talking about a "flexible weatherproof product" joining 2 separate units - he's talking about one roof covering the passenger compartment and the bed.

My understanding of his question is could it be like a Ford Expedition or a Suburban, etc?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
He's not talking about a "flexible weatherproof product" joining 2 separate units - he's talking about one roof covering the passenger compartment and the bed.

My understanding of his question is could it be like a Ford Expedition or a Suburban, etc?
Please point to where he said one pice. He is asking about the concept of attaching the bed cover to the hard top. There is only one way to do this with the JT. Something that will account for the flex.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
As said, the disconnect between cab and bed is the fly in the soup for a solid hardtop. If only it was like a Blazer!

upload_2020-1-19_22-40-33.jpeg

upload_2020-1-19_22-41-7.jpeg

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
As said, the disconnect between cab and bed is the fly in the soup for a solid hardtop. If only it was like a Blazer!

If you wanted a Ridgeline you should of bought one:CWL:

I don't see a problem with a 3-6 inch flex gap in my top. Ill take the 1st one to market.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Man I have not seen one of THOSE in a while! Cool.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Iā€™m going to go against the grain here and state that it is not possible due to the flexing between the cab and the bed. It could easily be an inch or two so my question is how would you compensate for that and still maintain water tightness?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Iā€™m going to go against the grain here and state that it is not possible due to the flexing between the cab and the bed. It could easily be an inch or two so my question is how would you compensate for that and still maintain water tightness?
Once you get your Alu-Cab let me know. Ill come over with my sawzall and some Duck tape and show you what I have in mind:CWL:
Sponsored