First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade
Occupation
Physician
I am a man of two worlds, on the fence, or waffling. I want the fun of the Jeep with the towing power of a boring truck. The gladiator just fits. Now, the gas powered Sport S with max tow fits my bill... BUT I really want the ecoD for that driving experience.

The wife wants the comforts and I want the functionality of the options. We have a kid on the way, too, so I'm looking at buying a camper which will weigh around 4200lbs.

I'm looking at getting one of these trims fully loaded minus the smoker group in the ecoD.

As I'm reading, I'm seeing lots of posts showing that the payload for xyztrim is (for example) 1200lbs, but then when someone posts the door sticker, it shows 1050lbs. I'm sure all of this depends on the options you've placed into the vehicle.

Since I want towing...i'd like to know which trim level, when fully loaded, has the highest payload capacity. I tried calling the guys at the dealership but they couldn't confidently say anything about it. Or should I just wait for the 2022 versions to come out? Maybe there's something better on the horizon? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
The Sport Max Tow package gaser will have the highest payload of all trims.
Looking at the GCWR. Looks like there's about a 700lb difference between the Sport S Max Tow and Diesel w/ Tow package.

The GCWR is the total permissible weight of
your vehicle and trailer when weighed in
combination.
****NOT AN EXPERT, smart people here please correct me if wrong.
Jeep Gladiator Fully loaded trims and payload 1620245985778
Jeep Gladiator Fully loaded trims and payload 1620246245380

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
If you are just looking at diseel - looks like the best trim level would be either a Sport or an Overland at 12,100.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep, Sport with Max Tow is the best bet, BUT, it doesn't have the diesel engine.

So to get max payload with the diesel, you need to stick to the Sport, Sport S, Overland, or one of the special editions that doesn't have armor. Rubicon and Willys, for example, have rock rails and other heavy options that reduce payload.

The highest payload I've seen on a diesel was a Sport model. It was stamped a little over 1,300 lbs. of payload which is respectable for a midsize truck.

On the flip side I've seen Rubicons down in the 980 lbs. ballpark which is terrible.

Every 100 lbs. of payload rating you lose translates to a loss of 1,000 to 1,500 lbs. of towing, so payload is a valuable resource on these trucks. Every pound counts.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Riddle me this, Batman...

A Sport S EcoDiesel with tow package has a GCWR of 12,100 and a max GTW of 6,500 lbs.

An Overland EcoDiesel with two package has a GCWR of 12,100 and a max GTW of 6,500 lbs.

BUT, according to the manual, the Sport can tow a trailer of 55 square feet frontal area, and the Overland is capped to only 40 square feet. That means the Sport can tow a typical 8.5 foot wide enclosed trailer with the typical 6.5 foot tall ceiling. But, the Overland wouldn't be able to.

Now, both trucks have the same engine, same trans, same axles and axle width, same gear ratio, and both have all-season tires. Both have the same grille and air flow. So why on earth can a Sport, by the book, tow a physically larger trailer than an Overland?

See, you start really going over the manual and it will drive you nuts. A Sport S gas engine with tow package has a 1,000 lb. lower GCWR, but can still tow that larger trailer than the Overland EcoDiesel can't.

None of it makes sense.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Riddle me this, Batman...

A Sport S EcoDiesel with tow package has a GCWR of 12,100 and a max GTW of 6,500 lbs.

An Overland EcoDiesel with two package has a GCWR of 12,100 and a max GTW of 6,500 lbs.

BUT, according to the manual, the Sport can tow a trailer of 55 square feet frontal area, and the Overland is capped to only 40 square feet. That means the Sport can tow a typical 8.5 foot wide enclosed trailer with the typical 6.5 foot tall ceiling. But, the Overland wouldn't be able to.

Now, both trucks have the same engine, same trans, same axles and axle width, same gear ratio, and both have all-season tires. Both have the same grille and air flow. So why on earth can a Sport, by the book, tow a physically larger trailer than an Overland?

See, you start really going over the manual and it will drive you nuts. A Sport S gas engine with tow package has a 1,000 lb. lower GCWR, but can still tow that larger trailer than the Overland EcoDiesel can't.

None of it makes sense.
It gets even better!

The heavy Rubicon gets a frontal area of 55, too.

If sticking to the letter of the law, and want diesel, diesel sport is way to go.

Me? Iā€™d feel perfectly fine hauling a 4,200lbs(dry weight) trailer with my diesel rubicon.

I mean, really, my WJ that had a more narrow track, shorter wheelbase, was rated at 6,500lbs. Yes, it was a V8, but stillā€¦

I think (my opinion only) some of the ratings are on purpose to help keep the gladiator from competing with the Ram. (Cooling ability is a real factor in the gladiator, but stillā€¦)

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I am a man of two worlds, on the fence, or waffling. I want the fun of the Jeep with the towing power of a boring truck. The gladiator just fits. Now, the gas powered Sport S with max tow fits my bill... BUT I really want the ecoD for that driving experience.

The wife wants the comforts and I want the functionality of the options. We have a kid on the way, too, so I'm looking at buying a camper which will weigh around 4200lbs.

I'm looking at getting one of these trims fully loaded minus the smoker group in the ecoD.

As I'm reading, I'm seeing lots of posts showing that the payload for xyztrim is (for example) 1200lbs, but then when someone posts the door sticker, it shows 1050lbs. I'm sure all of this depends on the options you've placed into the vehicle.

Since I want towing...i'd like to know which trim level, when fully loaded, has the highest payload capacity. I tried calling the guys at the dealership but they couldn't confidently say anything about it. Or should I just wait for the 2022 versions to come out? Maybe there's something better on the horizon? Thanks in advance.
Any of the available models, with a factory Tow Package and automatic transmission, are rated to tow your 4200 pound camper. If you want to make the wife happy, get a fully loaded Overland. I would then suggest a pair of MaxTow springs for the rear, and a set of Rubicon shocks. If you get a diesel model, the factory shocks should be fine.

OP
OP

JeeperNovice

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade
Occupation
Physician
So the consensus is an Overland or a Sport and for the most part the Overland wins over in terms of creature comforts+payload.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input. I just wish these ecoDs could be on the same towing level as the gasser sport S with max tow. It would make the decision instant!

n8leav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Eco
Wait I'm confused. Are you guys saying that the Rubicon diesel can't tow the 4200lb trailer?

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
So the consensus is an Overland or a Sport and for the most part the Overland wins over in terms of creature comforts+payload.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input. I just wish these ecoDs could be on the same towing level as the gasser sport S with max tow. It would make the decision instant!
if you look into the specialty trims on the lot, dealer will be more willing to wheel and deal. some areas those are hard sells and hold back changes with option packages.. also resale value later down the road. High Altitude is an Overland with wide track axles (no lockers), diesel option, majove seats, color match everything, towing 6500lbs

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wait I'm confused. Are you guys saying that the Rubicon diesel can't tow the 4200lb trailer?
No. All we're saying is that BY THE BOOK there are differences in the physical sizes of trailers/campers that each trim level can tow. However, in practical terms it's hard to imagine that there'd really be a real world difference. So it all comes down to how much legality matters to you.

The only reason the Rubicon suffers in payload and therefore towing ability is because of weight. It's the heaviest model and that eats up available payload. There's nothing mechanically holding it back. It's just got too much mass.

But again, in practical terms a Rubicon will tow just like a Sport or Overland, just not legally.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
What WXman said.

Id have no qualms (personally)throwing camping gear in the bed of my rubicon, a full 75qt cooler, and hauling a 4,200lbs trailer or even a 5,500.

If you got a diesel rubi, sport or overland, I donā€™t think youā€™d tell much difference in towing.

If in budget, Iā€™d tell you to get the rubicon.
Sponsored