Sponsored

Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions.

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
So. I've been reading so much here on the forums. Amazing amount of info. I'm new to Jeep, but not 4X4 trucks with lifts. I'm set on ordering a new or finding a new Rubicon diesel. A few questions. TIA.

1st off. This build is going to be for light duty, easy trails, snow in Flagstaff, desert washes, etc. etc. not necessarily heavy duty rock climbing. Trips to Home Depot, Costco, etc.

1. I want to place 37's on the JT. I've read about the mopar 2 inch and other similar lifts (3 1/2). 2 inches doesn't seem like alot. 3 1/2 seems to make more sense. But I'm considering the value of the warrantied 2 inch lift. Is it worth it? btw .... the JT needs to be able to fit in my garage. Typical 82 inch opening. Also ...not a big fan of "stuffed" tires under the fenders. Looking at warranty, pricing, looks and function and ..... it needs to fit in my garage lol.

2. Regearing? Seems like with the diesel and 37's .... no regearing is necessary? I am not going to tow anything. I'm in the Phx area. Mostly flat.

3. 17's vs 20 inch wheels? I get it. 17s give you more side wall protection. I'm drawn to the 20's. Is there any downsides to the 20's besides costing more? Again ... no heavy rock crawling for me. Mostly pavement and light desert stuff.

4. Lastly. If I choose to go with a 3 1/2 lift. Anyone know a reputable 4X4 shop in the Phoenix area?

Thanks again. Awesome forum. Hoping to get this JT before the end of this year.
Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
first of all welcome.

1. you will fit in your garage with an 82" opening with either size lift and 37" tires. The Mopar lift is OK to start out on but leaves a few things to be desired, but at the moment it is one of the only lifts right now offered for the diesel. What 3.5 lift are you looking at?

2. This is going to be a preference thing, some will say its a must with 37's but with the diesel you have more torque compared to the gasser, plus you are on flat land as you stated, so I say you can wait and see if you feel the need to regear at a later time. You may decide that you need to regear.

3. If 20's are your thing, then rock it.... I prefer the look of 17s so the cost of it being cheaper to run 17's is a bonus for me. I also believe the 17's will have more tire selections, but I haven't shopped for 20" tires so I cant say for certain.

Another benefit to going with 17's is you get a better ride because of the larger sidewall. Also look at the load range when shopping for tires as most overlook that and then come here and complain of a harsh ride when they have a tire that is E rated.

4. can't help you with that, sorry, but I am sure someone else can

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I ordered the 4” Rusty’s advanced diesel lift
Clayton, Rockkrawler and evo have them specifically for the diesel

It’ll drive better with new gears but not necessary on 37s.

20s are fine to run but you’ll likely find a more compliant ride on 17s and the 0”tires and wheels will be heavier, some quite substantially which probably increases the chances you’ll want to regear

Doetch off road in the Phoenix area does great work, evo mfg is also there now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2TH MVR

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Orthodontist
I ordered the 4” Rusty’s advanced diesel lift
Clayton, Rockkrawler and evo have them specifically for the diesel

It’ll drive better with new gears but not necessary on 37s.

20s are fine to run but you’ll likely find a more compliant ride and the tires and wheels will be heavier, some quite substantially which probably increases the chances you’ll want to regear

Doetch off road in the Phoenix area does great work, evo mfg is also there now.
I'll check those places out. Appreciate the information.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I'm running the Mopar 2" lift on 37's on a Sport S with 17" Mopar wheels. I haven't flexed it out to see if the front fenders will rub but just by looks I feel like it will rub at full flex. For me I'm not too concerned as I don't plan on doing any hardcore rock crawling, or else I would have gone with the Rubi. I'm more of a mud slinger so the flex isn't a must.

As for gearing, my opinion now at just under 3,000 miles (2,500 on the lift and 37's) is I see zero reason to regear, especially if you're not going to tow. On the stock 31.5" tires I felt that 8th gear wasn't quite big enough, now on 37's at 75 mph it revs right around 1,600 rpm which is in the torque powerband and it holds 8th gear just fine on top of revving lower which could be good for fuel economy (if that matters).
This summer I will be towing my ~3,500 lb camper for the first time on this setup, this will be the deciding factor on whether I regear or not. I'm torn because the only regear I can get through the dealer is 4.88 to maintain warranty, this is what I had in my JKU (albeit with the 5 speed auto) and I felt it was too much gear for what I needed on 35's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2TH MVR

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Orthodontist
Got another question. Again TIA.

Seems like everyone here is actively modifying their jeeps. I'm curious about the suspension lifts. From what I have read here so far ...I haven't heard of any issues with suspension lifts and warranty issues. So ... have the JT diesels been pretty solid so far .... with the lift modifications?
I'm not naive. When you modify .... you pay to play. I get it.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the Mopar 2" lift on 37's on a Sport S with 17" Mopar wheels. I haven't flexed it out to see if the front fenders will rub but just by looks I feel like it will rub at full flex. For me I'm not too concerned as I don't plan on doing any hardcore rock crawling, or else I would have gone with the Rubi. I'm more of a mud slinger so the flex isn't a must.

As for gearing, my opinion now at just under 3,000 miles (2,500 on the lift and 37's) is I see zero reason to regear, especially if you're not going to tow. On the stock 31.5" tires I felt that 8th gear wasn't quite big enough, now on 37's at 75 mph it revs right around 1,600 rpm which is in the torque powerband and it holds 8th gear just fine on top of revving lower which could be good for fuel economy (if that matters).
This summer I will be towing my ~3,500 lb camper for the first time on this setup, this will be the deciding factor on whether I regear or not. I'm torn because the only regear I can get through the dealer is 4.88 to maintain warranty, this is what I had in my JKU (albeit with the 5 speed auto) and I felt it was too much gear for what I needed on 35's.
no rub with sport fenders if you keep the sway bar connected.. i also have a 3/4" spacer in the front.
Jeep Gladiator Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions. 20210123_154632

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
I have a Rubicon Diesel and currently have a leveling kit and the truck sits perfectly level. You can run 37's. If I install the kit below I can assure you I can run 37's, if I want the truck to have rake again I can add 3/4 inch spacer in back instead of a the 1/2 that comes in the kit.

If you do a 2 inch Mopar that truck is going to be up there as a Ruby can run 37's stock if you are not doing heavy duty off-roading.

I would not do a 3.5 or you are going to be way up there and then you might have a garage problem. The JL and JT can run a big tire with little mods not like the Jk's.

Once you start with the complete lifts you get in to a lot of stuff and a lot of money, the spacer lifts keep the soft ride and the JT's dont need 2 or 3.5 inch lifts.

I have 35's with the current 1.5 space in the front and there is plenty of room in the wheel well. I also have a winch, lights, and a grill guard bar which adds weight in addition to the diesel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q6DCNJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
the spacer lifts keep the soft ride and the JT's dont need 2 or 3.5 inch lifts.
This might apply to the Rubicon that has the higher front fenders but that's about it. My Sport S ED is on a Mopar 2" lift and with 37's I don't see any way they would fit without the lift. I have no spacers and a decent amount of rake (haven't measured yet).

Jeep Gladiator Future JT diesel Rubicon owner with questions. AE1EEBEE-8FEE-46DF-87FF-DC1AE530A268

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This might apply to the Rubicon that has the higher front fenders but that's about it. My Sport S ED is on a Mopar 2" lift and with 37's I don't see any way they would fit without the lift. I have no spacers and a decent amount of rake (haven't measured yet).
AE1EEBEE-8FEE-46DF-87FF-DC1AE530A268.jpeg

He said he was going to get a Rubicon, a spacer is a spacer lift and 2 inches of spacer lift on a Rubicon should be able to run 37's no problem.

Let me clarify, there is no need to do a full 2 or 3.5 inch full suspension lift for what the guy is using the Jeep for, 2 inches of spacer lift should be fine. hundreds vs thousands and he has a height limitation and in addition he will probably have to spend another 2k on drop down steps also like you had to do. spacer lift will get you up there enough to run 37's and no need for the step stool or small ladder to get in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2TH MVR

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Orthodontist
Question regarding "rake". What is the purpose of rake? Is it for those who tow or will have weight in the bed so the truck will be level with a load?

Is it an esthetic thing? I personally cannot stand those pre-runner trucks that are higher in the front than the rear. Personally ... I would like a level truck as I have no intention of towing large loads.

If I were to get the factory Mopar 2 inch lift .... will the truck have a small amount of rake (front lower than rear) and if so .... can the dealership install a front spacer to level?

Just trying to get my info correct so that when I do get the truck (and I will) I will have everything planned out.

Thanks again for all the help.

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Got another question. Again TIA.

Seems like everyone here is actively modifying their jeeps. I'm curious about the suspension lifts. From what I have read here so far ...I haven't heard of any issues with suspension lifts and warranty issues. So ... have the JT diesels been pretty solid so far .... with the lift modifications?
I'm not naive. When you modify .... you pay to play. I get it.
Welcome to the mad house! Its a great place.
Anyhow - are you concerned about adjusting your speedo to work correctly? ( I'm not sure of that answer myself ) Just something else to consider.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question regarding "rake". What is the purpose of rake? Is it for those who tow or will have weight in the bed so the truck will be level with a load?

Is it an esthetic thing? I personally cannot stand those pre-runner trucks that are higher in the front than the rear. Personally ... I would like a level truck as I have no intention of towing large loads.

If I were to get the factory Mopar 2 inch lift .... will the truck have a small amount of rake (front lower than rear) and if so .... can the dealership install a front spacer to level?

Just trying to get my info correct so that when I do get the truck (and I will) I will have everything planned out.

Thanks again for all the help.
yea yes and yes and the answer to your question about rake and Mopar 2” is in the pic above 2-3 posts. He has rake, see his ass sits slightly higher in the back? The manufacturer’s Lift will be like the truck comes stock but higher and the truck comes with rake.

I was trying to save u all the questions and confusion by giving u info from a guy that has built many jeeps with an open checkbook and made changes playing around. I have a lift in my private warehouse so I can play around at little to no cost.

I am trying to help you get what u want at as little cost as possible while others might just want to show off and brag about what they have because everyone thinks what they did is the best.

Do a spacer lift and enjoy your day and you can add 1/2 inch spacers to get rake where u want.

if you want a level jeep and do 37’s follow my first suggestion or feel free to contact me and I will tell u about ins claims that have been denied and warranties due to mods. That’s another reason to keep them not so obvious or exteme unless u just want a big bad jeep and a ladder to get in it.

re-sale is another issue we won’t even get in to.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Coil or wheel spacer? From?
3/4 inch coil spacer from daystar to take about 50% of my rake out.

(I am running 1.75" wheel spacers/adapters from teraflex as well but that has nothing to do with the lift)
Sponsored