First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
In Febuary, I got a ticket to go see the Battleship Texas on a drydock tour (can't wait). While I'm there, I'd like to get some beach driving in. Has anyone done this (of course someone has, stupid question). Any tips and places or permits that I need to know about? San Luis pass area looks cool. I've ridden over it on the bike and said hey I need to go back and check this out, so there's a start for a plan.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
San Luis Pass is a good place to go. Easy access. You could also maybe try down in Surfside. Galveston main area itself there is not really a lot of drivable beach. You can drive on and park but not drive very far. Enjoy the battleship its a cool thing to see especially if you get to go see it up-close. I see it all the time but across the channel from the Strand Area. If Royal Caribbean has their big mega ship in port check it out in comparison to the battleship. I was comparing them one day and thought man these battleships were huge but some of those cruise ships dwarf that big battleship

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Do I need one of the access passes they sell all over to go to the pass area?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Do I need one of the access passes they sell all over to go to the pass area?
I haven't driven San Luis Pass in some time but it used to be free. Might not be bad idea to have a shovel or some traction boards with you although last time I was there sand was pretty packed in most areas

Larry1962us

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Operations Manager
I drove the San Luis Pass in the summer. I did not have any problems with the terrain.
I'm not sure if you need a pass or not but I didn't have one. There were no police officers there to tell me differently though.
If you stick to the trails and don't tear up the dunes you shouldn't have a problem.

Sponsored

Gringo&Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Occupation
Chef
Vehicle Showcase
In Febuary, I got a ticket to go see the Battleship Texas on a drydock tour (can't wait). While I'm there, I'd like to get some beach driving in. Has anyone done this (of course someone has, stupid question). Any tips and places or permits that I need to know about? San Luis pass area looks cool. I've ridden over it on the bike and said hey I need to go back and check this out, so there's a start for a plan.
I have driven most all beach stretches in that area and south toward Padre. Conditions vary but usually picking proper line and you’re good. Here are some pics.

Jeep Gladiator Galveston Tx Beach Driving 587DFAD6-E588-4F05-BCD9-576718F3F5B0

Jeep Gladiator Galveston Tx Beach Driving 5E8563DF-2B8C-4160-8306-559880CBEB4D

Mad Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Far Northwest Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Website
www.best-motorcycle.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Wrangler Sahara
San Luis Pass is great.
I call it the "Empty Quarter"
after the sand desert in the Arabian peninsula.

It's deceptive because it is flat
and looks like you can drive anything anywhere.
Wrong.

The picture below was my first recovery in 2014
with my new to me 1998 Sahara.
Since then I have graduated to a VooDoo rope
and recovered a dozen stranded vehicles and grateful tourists.

bTi5ktYAcSxpdhvVNU1dJgIg5f6KPSs4INJqN1ACqd5U=w2400.jpg

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
While your down there, go to the Stand, a lot of shops and restaurants and bars to check out, all within moderate walking distance but on the weekends parking can suck, so try and go early or just pay to park. That’s what I normally do. Enjoy your time.

MyronM

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Loan Officer
I've enjoyed the sands of Galveston more than a few times. Last year, we took the ferry over to Bolivar while towing our Airstream. I learned that the soft sands there and the stock tires on my Overland were not a good combination. A passing 3/4ton Silverado pulled me free in less than 10 minutes. Traction boards and a shovel are part of my survival kit now.
There are sections of the beach where the sand is packed down and can easily be driven. Other areas, not so much.

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
How about Port A or Mustang? My first time taking any vehicle on the beach too.

Sponsored

Nukizer715

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2006 YAMAHA FZ1
My wife and I go to Port A several times a year. Love that little island! Even got married on that beach at marker 28!
Port A Beach Rd is the "road" that parallels the dunes all the way down to Mustang Island State Park. I say "road" because it is a "legal" road requiring all laws to be abided by. The county keeps it pretty well maintained and it usually stays pretty packed. So much so that we've seen front wheel drive. rear wheel drive and motorcycles up and down it every time we've been there. There are several areas where it gets soft and loose but you can usually drive around it or get through it without engaging 4WD or maybe just going 4WD High. And of course, when the disrespectful punk kids in their jacked up 4wd trucks do burnouts and doughnuts on the beach it tears up the road and parking areas. A "Beach Permit" is required if you plan on parking on the beach ($12 for calendar year).
"IF" you get stuck, shovel the sand away from the tires and add water to the sand to help "pack" it down. YES I said add water. Water added to dirt makes slippery mud. But water added to sand packs it down and makes it a harder surface to drive on.
Get out there and enjoy!🏖

notquiteflotsam

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave; 2011 JKU Sport (retired)
PINS is where you want to go in that neck of the woods. https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm Took my JK and a buddy's TJ down there in October '21 and it was great. I think we only went down about 10-15 miles for one night. It's a pack it all in and out kind of place. Plenty of room to spread out. Heading back down with my JT in April and can't wait.

OP
OP
charliez

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Had a long weekend, so I'm just now getting back to this. I'll be in Galveston to do a dock tour of the Texas, so that will be my main goal. I'm going to get a room for Saturday night so I can be at he Gulf Copper place bright and early and rested. The Saturday before is when I'll have a short time to see some sand. I'm not looking for a lot. or a big adventure for this trip. Just some sand and some pics maybe.

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
PINS is where you want to go in that neck of the woods. https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm Took my JK and a buddy's TJ down there in October '21 and it was great. I think we only went down about 10-15 miles for one night. It's a pack it all in and out kind of place. Plenty of room to spread out. Heading back down with my JT in April and can't wait.
Thanks so much!
We visited Galveston last year at an AirBNB with dad and managed to get some dock fishing in and had a blast. Any docks in the PINS area? That would be icing on the cake for sure!

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you've got some time on your hands you can hop on the ferry and head East to the Bolivar Peninsula. From there you can travel along old hwy 87, which was washed out in the 90's, from High Island to Sabine Pass. It takes a few hours but is worth it...also some nude beach type activities down that way. Some pics below from a few years ago and my gasser. I haven't made the trip in the my EcoD yet.

20190828_110340.jpg

20190828_112807.jpg

20190828_110703.jpg

20190828_114753.jpg

20190828_114806.jpg
Sponsored