Sponsored

Garage Door Opener Operation

Freehand

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude, 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit.
Occupation
Retired
The garage door opener on my HA Gladiator‘s window visor, only functions when the ignition is in the “Run” position.

The opener doesn’t work in the “Off” or “Acc” position.

Is that normal, or have I discovered an opener SNAFU?
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
The garage door opener on my HA Gladiator‘s window visor, only functions when the ignition is in the “Run” position.

The opener doesn’t work in the “Off” or “Acc” position.

Is that normal, or have I discovered an opener SNAFU?
It's normal. Jeep made it that way so when your car is off, the garage door opener won't function. The thinking is that since Jeeps are meant to park outdoors, if someone breaks into your car in your driveway, the thief can't activate your garage opener to gain access to your garage and house.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Normal behavior, but with a simple wiring change you can have the door opener work, even with ignition in off position.
I'd rather fix the auto park so I can back up or move forward with the door open. I like to stand on the nerf bar while backing up or inching forward to make sure I am close enough to the edge without hitting the wall. I was able to do that on my Ram and JKU just fine but not in this car.

OP
OP
Freehand

Freehand

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude, 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit.
Occupation
Retired
Thanks.

That rationale seems logical, but is different than my previous Rams and my wife’s Grand Cherokee.

I’ll have to get used to closing the garage door before turning off the ignition.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks.

That rationale seems logical, but is different than my previous Rams and my wife’s Grand Cherokee.

I’ll have to get used to closing the garage door before turning off the ignition.
I never used the built in garage door opener in my other cars because of that reason because I don't want a simple smash and grab to turn into a home invasion while I am sleeping at night. With this setup, I might actually try to set up my rolling code garage door opener just for the fact that I paid for it and might as well use it.

Sponsored

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
I never used the built in garage door opener in my other cars because of that reason because I don't want a simple smash and grab to turn into a home invasion while I am sleeping at night. With this setup, I might actually try to set up my rolling code garage door opener just for the fact that I paid for it and might as well use it.
I didn't until one of the service techs stole my opener out of my car previous to owning my Gladiator. I don't mind it not working when I turn it off, my garage light sucks so I have more lighting with it open until I get inside.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I didn't until one of the service techs stole my opener out of my car previous to owning my Gladiator. I don't mind it not working when I turn it off, my garage light sucks so I have more lighting with it open until I get inside.
The heck? The tech tried to break into your house with your opener? Was it a dealer or independent?

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
The heck? The tech tried to break into your house with your opener? Was it a dealer or independent?
I don't know if they ever tried coming by. I got home, reached up to push it and it was gone. Went back raised hell one of the managers looked through my car with me. Of course it wasn't around. I was worried they might swing by. They had all the info they needed to make life interesting. I left and reset the opener so if they were intending to do something it wasn't going to be through the garage. It was at a dealer. They offered to replace it, only $30ish but it is still the principle of it. Never returned, left them pretty crappy reviews. They called a handful of times, didn't feel like messing with them.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I don't know if they ever tried coming by. I got home, reached up to push it and it was gone. Went back raised hell one of the managers looked through my car with me. Of course it wasn't around. I left and reset the opener so if they were intending to do something it wasn't going to be through the garage. It was at a dealer. They offered to replace it, only $30ish but it is still the principle of it. Never returned, left them pretty crappy reviews. They called a handful of times, didn't feel like messing with them.
Dude... that's wrong. I never leave my garage door opener in the car. It's always in my pocket or in my bag that I have on me. I tell the missus the same thing, take it with her in her purse. Never leave it in the car, especially when parked at a garage or valet away from home. Valets can look at your reg for your address and know you are going to be gone for however long you are there.

I don't even like leaving my registration in my car for that reason. Nowadays, you can just take a pick of it and have it on your phone if you need it instead of carrying the paper one in the glove.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I like the feature, always bugged me that the opener in my Tundra worked without the ignition being on, as mentioned someone could just smash the window and open the garage.

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Oh. Well that explains that.
Sponsored