garage hoist- can it lift at an angle?

ktuluorion

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shopping for jl
So im devastated.. i finally got my garage cleaned out and got my jeep in there, only to find that when i'm pulled in my hard top is still under the garage door opener unit. it's not too far off from being in the clear, so my question is whether hoist a tops work in such a way that i can position it slightly behind where the jeep sits, move the suspended unit onto the top and secure it, then have it lift at an angle to avoid the door opener? i'd also then need to guide it at a little bit of angle as it comes back down to reattach it.

Please give me good news - my lange power hoist a top is already in the mail!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ktuluorion

ktuluorion

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shopping for jl
Thanks Hamiltonguy- i was just reading that, but unfortunately i would then not have the space to park the wrangler in the garage - which is why i want the suspended hoist. if i wasnt going to park in there, i could just put the top on the garage floor.

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
One guy questioned if after the roof is on the scaffold, that he can park the jeep in the garage with the nose/hood of the Jeep parked under the platform holding up the roof.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Mike, if it makes you feel any better, when I bought my first Jeep I did the same thing. I ordered a ceiling lift before getting the Jeep then realized I’m probably not gonna have the room. After reading this great forum I learned of this (Top Lift Pro). Expensive but was worth every penny to me. I was able to drive my Jeep right below the top. At the top of the picture you can see a wire hanging down. That’s the antenna for my garage opener. It cleared that beautifully too.

24484943-F7A9-475A-8D5E-5EB282284928.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
ktuluorion

ktuluorion

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shopping for jl
hey everyone. thanks for your replies. at this point im (hopefully) just looking to confirm if the hoist that i've already purchased will work in the manner that i described. i would THINK that it can be swayed into place to some extent, but I'd hate to get everything installed and find out differently.

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Hey There,
As for my 2¢ ... I see the notion of as you lift the top, expecting a controlled swing underneath to where the hoist is, as a tab bit dicey. A heavy, awkwardly shaped scratch able top swinging in a controlled fashion when lifting and lowering won't be a one man job I would think. If you implement a system that is easy, you are more likely to use it.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Your best bet: is to unbolt the top and then slide 2x4s under it (lifting an end, each time), across the tub of the JLU. Then slide the top back; so it can be lifted straight up.

Last edited:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
hey everyone. thanks for your replies. at this point im (hopefully) just looking to confirm if the hoist that i've already purchased will work in the manner that i described. i would THINK that it can be swayed into place to some extent, but I'd hate to get everything installed and find out differently.
Whatever way it goes, Post a video of your first attempt at removal and reinstall. It should be informative either way. It seems like it may be a common issue.
Sponsored