First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I need a hoist recommend or the parts to build my own.
Was leaning towards a harken hoist but their 200lb kit isn't quite enough. I wanna pull my AluCab, tent, and awning as one unit. I figure 300lbs will give me a good safety margin. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
With your skills maybe you could built a gantry crane and use a chain hoist - then have it to do almost anything?
Just an idea - and I say that because in my profession a hoist lifts the car - and I'm going to get a 2 post hoist for my shop so I can walk under my cars instead of crawl under them.
But for lifting stuff - this gantry crane is home-built, powder coated and I used a chain hoist to lift cars to swap engines, etc. from below.
I used it to lift the big table saw out of the back of my truck, to load engines and unload engines from my truck and more (table saw has a cast iron top)
In this picture it's lifting the car so I could roll the drivetrain already assembled under the car, then I let the car down on stands and userd the gantry crane to pull the engine up so I could get the crossmember bolts in place.

Anyway, just an idea and I can sure get other pics or whatever.

sx4-engine-insert-002.jpg

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
I wish there was a portable hoist of some kind

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wish there was a portable hoist of some kind
My gantry crane is on wheels - casters that can be locked. Put an electric hoist on it, or a chain hoist like I did. You can lift your top, cargo, whatever. Roll it around, into or out of a garage, up and down the driveway, it will straddle the truck or a trailer, have a heavy load in the truck, wheel it over the truck and lift the load, drive the truck away...........
You can build or buy one that can be raised or lowered, used outside, or inside a garage. Your garage doesn't even have to be strong as this handles the weight. I used mine to lift a car I parted out onto my trailer to haul to the scrappers.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Please show me a picture of this! Oh wait it’s in the second post huh? Ha

Last edited:

Zebago

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8, 2020 JT Rubicon, White
I like ShadowsPapa's hoist, but for me garage floor space is at a premium. I like having something on the ceiling.

One of the biggest problems I had was controlling it. If my set up were much bulkier, I would build an "H" frame and lift from 4 points instead of one. I would imagine lifting an AluCab would be worse.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Building on what @Zebago did you could just install an electric hoist hoist to your ceiling ...

https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html
I’m currently building a dumb waiter for my lake house using this hoist. What it doesn’t say in the details is that there is a spool brake built in which is very handy. The control cable is fairly short, but you can replace the cable with one much longer for less than $20 at HD or Lowe’s. Also, it comes with brackets that allow you to strap it around a steel 2x2. With some very minor modifications, you can use two heavy duty barn door hangers and a long piece of unistrut to allow the hoist to trolley side to side. Basically, lift and move. This is a great solution!

Sponsored

Zebago

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8, 2020 JT Rubicon, White
That does sound like a good solution for moving around. I was going to extend my controller cable, but when I took apart the controller box there were more wires than I anticipated. There were like 6 or 8 wires all with crimped on connectors. i just closed it back up and said I'm not dealing with that. I think if I were to do it I would just cut the multi conductor wire and splice in more length using butt connectors. And not even get involved in the controller. I can reach it now. I just cant walk around the truck.

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
My gantry crane is on wheels - casters that can be locked. Put an electric hoist on it, or a chain hoist like I did. You can lift your top, cargo, whatever. Roll it around, into or out of a garage, up and down the driveway, it will straddle the truck or a trailer, have a heavy load in the truck, wheel it over the truck and lift the load, drive the truck away...........
You can build or buy one that can be raised or lowered, used outside, or inside a garage. Your garage doesn't even have to be strong as this handles the weight. I used mine to lift a car I parted out onto my trailer to haul to the scrappers.
After having to deal with an overhead harken hoister, which i still have, i'm planning on building a gantry like you've done. Its just easier to line up and with those garage ceiling based ones you chew up garage ceiling space and you have to get it all lined up with your garage door, etc. the portable gantry is nice because you can use it in or out of your garage, and to help lift other things out of your bed as well.

** edit ** Frank Howarth has a good overview of his design

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
and now that has me thinking that it would be really cool to do an I-beam style one that goes horizontally across my garage

I'm planning on getting the Liftmaster 8500 series to eliminate the overhead opener in my new house, so that might work.
Sponsored