Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't read through the whole thread so don't know if this has already been addressed, but I've noticed the dash mpg is consistently 1/2-1 mpg higher then what I am calculating at the pump. Is that pretty typical?

BTW I am getting between 16-19 mpg with my Mojave on fill ups. Mixed driving, but mostly highway.
No. Not for me, anyway.
It seems about every other fill the dash is higher than when I calculate it using the FillUp app. And in the times it's not higher, the app result is higher.
That's because the vehicle is measuring things not based on how many gallons did you squeeze into it this time but by other factors.
If you fill it and put in, say, 18 gallons then drive the exact same route in the same way and come back and stop at a different pump on a different day facing a different direction, you won't get in those same 18 gallons again. Temperature of the gas in your tank matters, how level is your truck matters, exactly when did the pump "click off" matters, among other things.
So calculating at the pump will almost always be different. If I go to the same station but stop at a different pump, my truck may be leaning .5 degrees to the right this time where it was sitting perfectly level last time. Did I get the gas in the tank to the exact same level as last time? Did I put a stick into the tank and see that it's exactly the same amount (no, of course)

Other factors that may make the dash calculations different - did you change tires? Have you verified your odometer is precisely measuring by comparing to an independent GPS?
I did - I used a Garmin GPS and an app on my phone. I set everything to 0 and reset my trip counter on the truck. I then drove over 17 miles and watched my truck's speedometer and the speed on the Garmin and on my phone. They were exactly the same. When the truck's digital display said 55 so did the Garmin and my phone app. As I varied speed I watched and they followed each other right on the money.
When I got home I compared the miles traveled on the truck to the Garmin GPS and to my phone. They were exactly the same to the tenth of a mile.
People often swap tires and plug in the number they are told to plug in and assume it's 100% correct. I do the "trust but verify" thing - I put in a number I trust to be right - or close, and then I measure like above - if there's any difference, I change the tire diameter in the settings and try again until everything is right - and mine is right.

So in short - I find that sometimes my cluster MPG is a tenth or two higher than what the FillUp app says, and sometimes it's a tenth or two lower than what the phone app tells me.
I expect that - but I'd bet if I tracked over a year's time, the results would line up pretty darned close because I can never fill my truck the exact same way two times in a row.
The gas you put in your truck starts out at about 55 degrees - a couple of days in the TX sun and it's a degree or 40 warmer, so it expands. Drive to Iowa and it will be 20 degrees after a few hours.
That alone makes a difference on how much gas you get in.
Sponsored

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
My Rubicon with the OEM M/T tires has yet to reach a 17 mpg average. Stays between 15-16 with no mods. Just turned over 1,000 miles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Rubicon with the OEM M/T tires has yet to reach a 17 mpg average. Stays between 15-16 with no mods. Just turned over 1,000 miles.
Two things come to mind -
M/T tires? Don't expect decent MPG
Just turned 1,000 miles? It should go up from here..........

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
No. Not for me, anyway.
It seems about every other fill the dash is higher than when I calculate it using the FillUp app. And in the times it's not higher, the app result is higher.
That's because the vehicle is measuring things not based on how many gallons did you squeeze into it this time but by other factors.
If you fill it and put in, say, 18 gallons then drive the exact same route in the same way and come back and stop at a different pump on a different day facing a different direction, you won't get in those same 18 gallons again. Temperature of the gas in your tank matters, how level is your truck matters, exactly when did the pump "click off" matters, among other things.
So calculating at the pump will almost always be different. If I go to the same station but stop at a different pump, my truck may be leaning .5 degrees to the right this time where it was sitting perfectly level last time. Did I get the gas in the tank to the exact same level as last time? Did I put a stick into the tank and see that it's exactly the same amount (no, of course)

Other factors that may make the dash calculations different - did you change tires? Have you verified your odometer is precisely measuring by comparing to an independent GPS?
I did - I used a Garmin GPS and an app on my phone. I set everything to 0 and reset my trip counter on the truck. I then drove over 17 miles and watched my truck's speedometer and the speed on the Garmin and on my phone. They were exactly the same. When the truck's digital display said 55 so did the Garmin and my phone app. As I varied speed I watched and they followed each other right on the money.
When I got home I compared the miles traveled on the truck to the Garmin GPS and to my phone. They were exactly the same to the tenth of a mile.
People often swap tires and plug in the number they are told to plug in and assume it's 100% correct. I do the "trust but verify" thing - I put in a number I trust to be right - or close, and then I measure like above - if there's any difference, I change the tire diameter in the settings and try again until everything is right - and mine is right.

So in short - I find that sometimes my cluster MPG is a tenth or two higher than what the FillUp app says, and sometimes it's a tenth or two lower than what the phone app tells me.
I expect that - but I'd bet if I tracked over a year's time, the results would line up pretty darned close because I can never fill my truck the exact same way two times in a row.
The gas you put in your truck starts out at about 55 degrees - a couple of days in the TX sun and it's a degree or 40 warmer, so it expands. Drive to Iowa and it will be 20 degrees after a few hours.
That alone makes a difference on how much gas you get in.
Wow, definitely wasn't considering all those factors most of which are over my head! But assuming nobody follows an identical routine in their commutes and when they fill up, it doesn't seem like rocket science why you would have variations in mpgs and # of gallons at every fill up, notwithstanding all those extra environmental factors that you mention.

Maybe I need to look into using the FillUP app, but I am just calculating based off my trip reader and however many gallons I am able to squeeze in at the pump, which I have to take as accurate (my ride is completely stock currently around 1500 miles). If there are other factors causing the pump to shut off prematurely without completely filling up, that would just be further proof that the dash mpg is overreporting in almost every case.

One thing I have wondered is does the dash computer calculate other sources of fuel consumption such as with the A/C running? (I would think yes)

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
GAS PRICES ARE CONCERNING,........not mileage.

Mileage is to be expected for what it is, and for the reasonable modifications that normal jeep users are applying. Don't use it for a DD, and the mileage isn't that bad. get a 2-door spec or something like that so you are not wasting the life of your JT in traffic. JMO.

Sponsored

Dirk Diggler

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hi everyone! I have read some of the thread and I wanted to ask a question. I am getting garbage gas mileage on my new to me 2020 Gladiator. The only 2 things done to the jeep currently are my 37x13.50x17 Nitto Mud Grapplers and the Z automotive JL Mini. Now the vehicle I traded this in for was a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with the same exact tires same gearing and I was averaging around 14-18mpg mixed driving with closer to 14 daily in town driving. The gladiator before I filled up the jeep and reset the cluster for my first fill up was around 13mpg for around 15k miles. After my first tank of gas, I was barely getting 11mpg. That seems extremely low. After I put my bigger tires on I was going to use something like the Z Automotive JL mini to reprogram the speedo but found the JL mini already installed. I don't know too much about the JL Mini so my question is, does anyone know if there is a setting inside the JL mini that might be causing the Jeep to get terrible gas mileage?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Hi everyone! I have read some of the thread and I wanted to ask a question. I am getting garbage gas mileage on my new to me 2020 Gladiator. The only 2 things done to the jeep currently are my 37x13.50x17 Nitto Mud Grapplers and the Z automotive JL Mini. Now the vehicle I traded this in for was a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with the same exact tires same gearing and I was averaging around 14-18mpg mixed driving with closer to 14 daily in town driving. The gladiator before I filled up the jeep and reset the cluster for my first fill up was around 13mpg for around 15k miles. After my first tank of gas, I was barely getting 11mpg. That seems extremely low. After I put my bigger tires on I was going to use something like the Z Automotive JL mini to reprogram the speedo but found the JL mini already installed. I don't know too much about the JL Mini so my question is, does anyone know if there is a setting inside the JL mini that might be causing the Jeep to get terrible gas mileage?
Nope, unless the tire size wasn't calibrated correctly.

Dirk Diggler

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Nope, unless the tire size wasn't calibrated correctly.
How would I know if it wasn’t done correctly? I know the speedo is 100% accurate as I drive by numerous school zones with the speed detection things but is there anything else that should be done?

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Well, I did a long road trip and had all sorts of terrain to go through. Mountain passes, highway driving, Hevy rain, slow driving in 4H through snow on the highway and over the Panamint mountains with a few 4500 ft. peaks. Also a long stretch of stop and go traffic from Baker down through the Cajon pass. Two people and gear. Here is the route and the end stats from the trip meter. I have to say I am pretty pleased with the mileage results. Beautiful route as well. I highly recommend a road trip like this.
Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. 20211230_211705

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. Screenshot 2021-12-31 194655

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
FWIW, my MPG went up several MPG after our first road trip at roughly 15k miles. I did absolutely abuse her on a 20 mile drive on a super curvy mtn road on the trip so it’s one of the two factors. I went from being very disappointed with the MPG to consistently getting EPA hwy figures or slightly better.

Sponsored

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright White Willys.
So I have a new JT overland and the gas mileage is not impressive. I've mainly drove in the city but really short commutes. Farthest I've taken it on the highway is maybe about 15 miles. Right now it's showing me my average is 14.3 mpg. Is this standard? Everything I've read has said it should be about 17 city, 23 highway. This is my first Jeep, so maybe this is just expected lol. But curious to see what other's have experienced!
Currently averaging 14.6.
About 1500 miles on my Willys.
90% City driving and ESS or ASS is turned off as soon as i start my truck.
No lead foot either.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
How would I know if it wasn’t done correctly? I know the speedo is 100% accurate as I drive by numerous school zones with the speed detection things but is there anything else that should be done?
Sounds like your speedometer is accurate, but check the speed with GPS on the highway. The Gladiator is heavier than the JLU.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
You have MT 37's on gearing that is too low. Not sure how you are surprised.

Doesnt matter what your JL did, this is a different vehicle that is heavier and longer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't go by those totally. Mine is calibrated by me using ODOMETER. My dial speedometer still reads 37 when I go past almost every radar sign that tells me I'm doing 35.

Use the odometer.
Use an app on your phone or even a dedicated GPS (if using a phone don't connect it to the truck USB)
I then drove a distance, checked my trip meter and it agreed with my GPS and phone app exactly. It's hard to go by speedometer because those don't read in tenths and they round. That radar may have detected you at 25.6 and will display 26 while your cluster may show you at 25- so you adjust and it will be off.
Odometer is the only real accurate way to do it.
Also - radar signs by schools are in a what, 25 mph zone? Mph will be off as a percentage - so it may show spot on at 25 but be off a couple mph at higher speeds. A speedometer won't be off by an exact mph number, it will be off by a percentage like 1% or 2% meaning in town it looks fine but on the highway it will be off.

Doesnt matter what your JL did, this is a different vehicle that is heavier and longer.
Yes. We've hit that in other threads - a square that is longer will actually show more drag than a short square even if the face surface is the same size on both. A Gladiator that's the same height as a comparable Wrangler will present more drag due to the length.

Don't use it for a DD, and the mileage isn't that bad.
Depends on what your daily driver options are ;) - I do use mine as a DD most of the time and am pretty happy. It could be better but the drops in mpg are purely my own doing and fault.(tires, steel bumper, lifted about an inch, etc.)
When you are used to vehicles that get 18 or less (one of them might do 12) then the JT is amazing.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Papa is right.

You need to measure some road mileage.

I measured mine over longer trips. Set mileage a to zero at fuel stop. Set my Gaia to a trip record and drove to the next fuel stop.

Truck 188.3
GPS 188.51

99.88% is basically dead on.

Checked it on the trip back.

Truck 189.7
GPS 189.97

99.86%

It took me a few 50 mile round trips locally to get my tire size, truck and tazer set right.
Sponsored