Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
As the title says, GDE is back and making an emissions compliant (EPA approved) tune! This is only for the 2nd gen engines, but GDE is also working on the 3rd gen engines! Here's what he said about his new tune!

"We expect an EPA certified 49-state tune to be ready 4 weeks after Michigan goes back to work. This will be for the engine and transmission tuning. Past customers can get this tune update, but there are some caveats.
1. New engine tune will be installed via the same OBD flash tool we use on the transmission. This is a $200 piece of hardware.
2. Vehicle must have latest dealer warranty update in the stock ecm. The flash tool will not work over an existing tuned ecm.
3. The reflash fee is still $50 for existing customers.

CARB is a slower process than EPA, so the CA solution might not be available until late summer.

The engine and trans tune still perform as before 30hp, 65ftlb torque, less turbo lag, cleaner engine oil, reduced frequency of DPF regens, and 2-4 mpg improvement over FCA AEM and V07/V08 updates. The combustion is tailored to reduce soot formation in cylinder. This means the egr that is used has much less soot in it and the intake stays much cleaner. Also, FCA has a calibration issue that we think leads to the melted intakes, this issue is eliminated with the emission compliant tune we will have out soon."
Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Now I just hope the CARB compliant doesn't become vaporware. Also hope the Gen3 doesn't take too long. Biggest disappointment I've had so far, besides the long wait for diesel in the first place, was the loss of GDE. Very happy to hear this news. Legal, legitimate options from top notch tuners is good news needed at this time.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Also hope the Gen3 doesn't take too long.
As you probably know, Keith at GDE used to do diesel tuning for the OEMs prior to starting his own company. He's very good, but he's also very thorough. He likes to do a lot of testing (in all 4 seasons) before he releases a tune. The last time I spoke to him, he said it would be at least 1 year before he releases the tune for the Gen III. So, I'm guessing it will be at least next summer, but I could be wrong.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Electrician
As you probably know, Keith at GDE used to do diesel tuning for the OEMs prior to starting his own company. He's very good, but he's also very thorough. He likes to do a lot of testing (in all 4 seasons) before he releases a tune. The last time I spoke to him, he said it would be at least 1 year before he releases the tune for the Gen III. So, I'm guessing it will be at least next summer, but I could be wrong.
I have the warm and fuzzies just knowing it's being worked on by them. Top of the class as far as I'm concerned.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What I was told a few weeks ago is "18 months" for a Gen 3 tune, so yeah next summer is probably a realistic expectation. While mine is early in warranty I'm not going to tune it anyhow so I have plenty of time to wait. It sounds like there isn't going to be an option for a separately tuned ECU so you can keep your stock ECU if a dealer visit is required, so I don't see many Gen 3 owners going for a tune until 100,000 miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
GDE is now selling his 2014 - 2019 EPA complaint tune in all 49 states. The tune is also CARB approved, but that tune won't be released for California customers for another month or two. GDE is also working on the 2020+ EcoDiesel engines! More info to come!

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Electrician
GDE is now selling his 2014 - 2019 EPA complaint tune in all 49 states. The tune is also CARB approved, but that tune won't be released for California customers for another month or two. GDE is also working on the 2020+ EcoDiesel engines! More info to come!
You've made my father's day... Due to a vehicle I don't have, with an engine option that doesn't exist yet.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Good to hear they are back, by the time my current Gladiator lease is up I'm certain I will ready for more torque. The Gladiator is by far my favorite vehicle, but the low end feels awful with the 3.6

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Good to hear they are back, by the time my current Gladiator lease is up I'm certain I will ready for more torque. The Gladiator is by far my favorite vehicle, but the low end feels awful with the 3.6
I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your gladiator. I agree that the Pentastar is a gutless engine compared to the EcoDiesel. After TFL drove the Wrangler EcoDiesel, they came to the same conclusion, especially when it came to towing.

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
They have a sale of engine and trans tune as soon as they come out. I can’t be happier with the performance improvement on my Grand Cherokee and I hope to see similar improvements on the Gladiator.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union Electrician
@biodiesel wondering if you had any updates on GDE? You seemed to have a relationship with them and appear to be a good source of information. Now that Gen3 diesels are being shipped in Gladiators, and I'm actually expecting delivery of mine in about 1-2 weeks, my interest in the progress of this tune is piqued.

Thank you for any insight you may have.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
@biodiesel wondering if you had any updates on GDE? You seemed to have a relationship with them and appear to be a good source of information. Now that Gen3 diesels are being shipped in Gladiators, and I'm actually expecting delivery of mine in about 1-2 weeks, my interest in the progress of this tune is piqued.

Thank you for any insight you may have.
The last time I talked to Keith, he expected to have a tune available by summer of 2021 for the Ram 1500. I'm sure he'll dig into the Gladiator as soon as he can. As you probably know, he is very thorough with his tuning. I'm sure tuning for the 2020+ Ram EcoDiesel will be very similar to the tune for the 2020+ Gladiator EcoDiesel.

enjin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator JTRD
Occupation
IT stuff
I'm already addicted to the Diesel torque. I can't wait!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
After GDE gets a tune ready it'll be night and day. The torque management and emissions controls are horrendous in the factory tune. Dialing the sluggishness back and making the engine run more efficient and powerful will make these Gen 3s feel like totally different animals.
Sponsored