Sponsored

Gear ratio, shift points, MPG, and Tazer mini gurus?!?!

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Ford Bronco, Gladiator soon!
I was reading comments on a YouTube video about MPG savings on the gladiator when I came across an interesting conversation. Someone had mentioned that they have 37s with stock 4.11 gears and used their Tazer to change the gear ratio to 4.56 to trick the computer and change shift points to something more aligned with stock... and mentioned slightly improved MPG. I had never really thought of that, but I guess I can see what they are thinking. I decided to give it a shot but haven’t really driven much. I did however, notice that I was in 8th gear more on my brief hwy drive. Any gear gurus care to comment on the math behind that? I almost feel it puts the points in a worse point for MPG savings.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I was reading comments on a YouTube video about MPG savings on the gladiator when I came across an interesting conversation. Someone had mentioned that they have 37s with stock 4.11 gears and used their Tazer to change the gear ratio to 4.56 to trick the computer and change shift points to something more aligned with stock... and mentioned slightly improved MPG. I had never really thought of that, but I guess I can see what they are thinking. I decided to give it a shot but haven’t really driven much. I did however, notice that I was in 8th gear more on my brief hwy drive. Any gear gurus care to comment on the math behind that? I almost feel it puts the points in a worse point for MPG savings.
what an interesting thought process. I too am curious

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
This would only "work" if you're reading the mpg on the screen in the truck, and not hand calculating. The computer thinks you are travelling more miles than you actually are per gallon. it will also cause your odometer to be inaccurate and in turn, if found, will void warranty and make your vehicle practically un-sellable.

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This would only "work" if you're reading the mpg on the screen in the truck, and not hand calculating. The computer thinks you are travelling more miles than you actually are per gallon. it will also cause your odometer to be inaccurate and in turn, if found, will void warranty and make your vehicle practically un-sellable.
but the tire size input (37) matches actual and the speedometer matches gps readout. What am I missing that would cause odometer error?

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
but the tire size input (37) matches actual and the speedometer matches gps readout. What am I missing that would cause odometer error?
So, I'm not following. Did you reprogram for tire size AND gears, or just gears? If you just input a gear change and left the tire settings factory, it would probably work, but you're just taking a different route to the same place. For me, it would be too much to remember, for instance, if you regear later you have to remember you change the gear ratio settings already, and have to go back and change tire size as well as put the correct gear ratio.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I'm not following. Did you reprogram for tire size AND gears, or just gears? If you just input a gear change and left the tire settings factory, it would probably work, but you're just taking a different route to the same place. For me, it would be too much to remember, for instance, if you regear later you have to remember you change the gear ratio settings already, and have to go back and change tire size as well as put the correct gear ratio.
a tazer was used to reprogram stock tire size to actual tire size of 37. It was also used to reprogram gear ratio to 4.56 when actual ratio remains 4.11. Speedometer is accurately showing speed when compared to stand alone GPS.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, something isn't adding up there. 4.56 to 4.10 may not be enough of a difference to throw your speedo off by a noticable amount but it's not right.
Sponsored