Sponsored

Genesis off Road JL dual battery probably works with JT

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I've been in communication with Shane about their dual battery setup. here is what he said.

Them:
Hi
We are not expecting any changes for the JL kit to fit the Gladiator. We should be able to confirm that soon. We have a couple folks who already have our JL kit, just waiting to get their Gladiator to do the install.

Shane Smith
Genesis Offroad
901-214-5337
www.genesisoffroad.com

Me:
Perfect. Can you either tell me so I can post that, or join jeepgladiatorforum.com yourself and post the good news once its confirmed? Lots of overlanding folk on there.

Them:
Will do!

Shane Smith
Genesis Offroad
901-214-5337
www.genesisoffroad.com
Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I've been in communication with Shane about their dual battery setup. here is what he said.

Them:
Hi
We are not expecting any changes for the JL kit to fit the Gladiator. We should be able to confirm that soon. We have a couple folks who already have our JL kit, just waiting to get their Gladiator to do the install.

Me:
Perfect. Can you either tell me so I can post that, or join jeepgladiatorforum.com yourself and post the good news once its confirmed? Lots of overlanding folk on there.

Them:
Will do!
I contacted him as well and he told me that they are doing some installation tests. Once I get the green light from him, I'll order it cuz I plan to add a fridge, KC lights, CB, sPod, etc

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
@steffen707 @SleepyJeep
Installed and Confirmed! It works!
I’ll post pictures and more details later today. My today, which may be your tomorrow...
So, does the stock battery get reused or do we have to buy two Odyssey batteries?

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
So, does the stock battery get reused or do we have to buy two Odyssey batteries?
The stock battery does not get reused. It gets removed and replaced by two Group 25 batteries (in my case I used Odyssey batteries).
The stock battery is 75Ah with 700 CCA. Each Odyssey battery is 65ah and 850 CCA.

Stock battery:
IMG_0799.JPG

2x Group 25 Batteries in the same amount of space:
IMG_0806.JPG

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock battery does not get reused. It gets removed and replaced by two Group 25 batteries (in my case I used Odyssey batteries).
The stock battery is 75Ah with 700 CCA. Each Odyssey battery is 65ah and 850 CCA.

Stock battery:
IMG_0799.JPG

2x Group 25 Batteries in the same amount of space:
IMG_0806.JPG
Are odyssey better than optima?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are odyssey better than optima?
I think when I first did all the research I found that the Odyssey batteries had the better specs, more amp hours and higher CCA. Unfortunately you have to wait for them to arrive at your house - you can't just buy them at a local store, I can't anyway.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So what is the turn key cost for this set up?

I see the virtue for some applications, but I'm not sure it has much for mine.

ETA : "turn key" in this case meaning the kit, two batteries, and whatever you paid for shipping.

Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Looks to be about $1200 once you sort out shipping. I'm debating on a Goal Zero like device for the bed of the truck that I can then run solar to and all that. Plus, when the truck is running, I could just plug the Goal Zero into the bed outlet to charge it while driving from one location to another. At a minimum, I'll probably wait until my main battery needs to be changed or proves to be a hindrance in my overlanding activities.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I see the virtue for some applications, but I'm not sure it has much for mine.

ETA : "turn key" in this case meaning the kit, two batteries, and whatever you paid for shipping.
Yea, that's totally fair. There is no value for me to get bigger tires, so I totally understand.

Before I detail the price I will explain the value of this dual battery kit.
You get two main benefits: It's really an insurance policy, but you also get added capacity. 2x 65Ah batteries vs a single 75Ah in a really easy to install kit.

If you plan to add any accessories that draw power (e.g. winch, lights, fridge, tv, etc), you need to protect your cranking battery. As efficient as newer electronics are, you don't want to be out wheeling, camping, overlanding, and not be able to start your truck to get back.
Sure you could just get a small jumper kit, like a NOCO, but, your stock battery is not designed to be depleted regularly. You will cut the life of that battery by at least 50%. You will be replacing it regularly if you are running things off of it with the motor/alternator not running.

The kit provides protection for your cranking battery, meaning you won't deplete the battery with accessories properly wired to the kit, and you also get added capacity because you can run certain those extra accessories for longer than on a the stock battery alone.
Also worth nothing, the Odyssey batteries are a very good mix between a cranking battery and a deep cycle battery. They won't last as long as a traditional deep cycle, but they will last much longer than a regular starting battery (like the stock one) AND you can use them as starting batteries.
Win win given the cost and the simplicity of the installation.

2018+ JEEP JL DUAL BATTERY KIT: $525
G Screen Monitoring (Optional): $269
2x Odyssey Group 25 Batteries: 2x$285.99 = $571.98
Shipping : $18.44

Total: $1,384.42
Getting there AND back: priceless

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yea, that's totally fair. There is no value for me to get bigger tires, so I totally understand.

Before I detail the price I will explain the value of this dual battery kit.
You get two main benefits: It's really an insurance policy, but you also get added capacity. 2x 65Ah batteries vs a single 75Ah in a really easy to install kit.

If you plan to add any accessories that draw power (e.g. winch, lights, fridge, tv, etc), you need to protect your cranking battery. As efficient as newer electronics are, you don't want to be out wheeling, camping, overlanding, and not be able to start your truck to get back.
Sure you could just get a small jumper kit, like a NOCO, but, your stock battery is not designed to be depleted regularly. You will cut the life of that battery by at least 50%. You will be replacing it regularly if you are running things off of it with the motor/alternator not running.

The kit provides protection for your cranking battery, meaning you won't deplete the battery with accessories properly wired to the kit, and you also get added capacity because you can run certain those extra accessories for longer than on a the stock battery alone.
Also worth nothing, the Odyssey batteries are a very good mix between a cranking battery and a deep cycle battery. They won't last as long as a traditional deep cycle, but they will last much longer than a regular starting battery (like the stock one) AND you can use them as starting batteries.
Win win given the cost and the simplicity of the installation.

2018+ JEEP JL DUAL BATTERY KIT: $525
G Screen Monitoring (Optional): $269
2x Odyssey Group 25 Batteries: 2x$285.99 = $571.98
Shipping : $18.44

Total: $1,384.42
Getting there AND back: priceless
Thanks for that, I get it for sure.
I'm not convinced the cons in weight and cost balance out with the pros for me.

I would be more inclined to use a lithium polymer jump box as a back up to the primary, I'm not disparaging your choice though.

This is where I am right now, these are fantastic units:
https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that, I get it for sure.
I'm not convinced the cons in weight and cost balance out with the pros for me.

I would be more inclined to use a lithium polymer jump box as a back up to the primary, I'm not disparaging your choice though.

This is where I am right now, these are fantastic units:
https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters
Yup. I've got a NOCO. I love those. They are great, everyone should have one in addition to whatever they're doing.

That solves the problem of your battery not being able to crank to start the engine. It doesn't necessarily solve the issue of your battery not be able to hold a charge because it has been discharged too many times.

It all depends on what you are running off of your battery and when. If it's only when the truck is running, than you're fine. If you aren't adding accessories, than you're also fine. The NOCO will be a sufficient insurance policy.
But if you're at camp, running some lights regularly, a fridge regularly, things like that - the NOCO will only get you out of trouble a couple of times before the stock battery is toast.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks to be about $1200 once you sort out shipping. I'm debating on a Goal Zero like device for the bed of the truck that I can then run solar to and all that. Plus, when the truck is running, I could just plug the Goal Zero into the bed outlet to charge it while driving from one location to another. At a minimum, I'll probably wait until my main battery needs to be changed or proves to be a hindrance in my overlanding activities.
Goal Zero is the bomb diggity. A portable power station is on my wish list. I see this as an add-on to the dual battery kit.
The kit is making sure my vehicle electronics are good. Anything permanently installed to the vehicle will have the power it needs, motor on, or motor off.
The power station would be for the camping extras - like the coffee/espresso maker, toaster, etc. Stuff that isn't permanently installed, but I still want to run when I'm camping.

The added benefit of a Goal Zero is it's portable AND it has a solar hookup right on it. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a 3000 as emergency power for my house AND throwing it in the back fo the truck for long trips.
Sponsored