Sponsored

Get Anti-spin AKA Trac-lok AKA LSD or not?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I am about to order my Gladiator. I have a last-minute issue to resolve. All along I had assumed I would get the LSD, but now having some doubts.

I know this topic has been covered before in several threads, but there seems to be a wide variety of opinion. I attribute the differences in opinion, at least in part, to the uses people put their Jeeps to. The reason for the doubts is partly the contrary opinions I've read, and partly because in reading the threads I learned Gladiator has Traction Control, which I have never experienced.

Therefore some background. I live in South Florida, where it is flat and sandy. I currently drive a 2004 Dakota 4x4 (automatic) with LSD. Bought it new. I am new to Jeeps but not to 4WD.

The build: Overland with manual transmission, Trailer Tow, Safety Group, Adaptive Cruise, etc.

Use: Daily driver most of the time. At work I frequently have to go on construction sites with loose or muddy sand. 4H. In summer we have frequent rain showers, leaving the roads very slick for a period of time until enough rain falls to wash the oil off. So I often engage 4H in straight-line acceleration off a traffic light, to keep rear from spinning. Then click back to 2H. The only times I have used 4L was to pull some shrubbery stumps out.
I am not an off-roader, but I do go off-road sometimes on vacations. I will retire in about 3 years, and plan to go on a lot of road trips, including up north in winter. I have taken my Dakota on the beach several times in the Outer Banks. Deep, loose sand. Performed OK, but I now have 340,000 miles on it, so maybe the LSD is worn out? The last time was just this past summer, and I had no problems, LSD worn out or not.

I am considering two alternatives.

1. Get LSD when I order it. Then I have the option of replacing with helical differential (if they become available for Gladiator), or elockers, after clutch packs wear out.

2. Omit LSD now to save $600, use the first couple years to evaluate Traction Control, maybe I decide I don't really need anything else. But can always add helical or locker later.

So, keeping in mind how I plan to use the vehicle, and that I hang on to a vehicle for a lonngg time, what advice can you give? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to order my Gladiator. I have a last-minute issue to resolve. All along I had assumed I would get the LSD, but now having some doubts.

I know this topic has been covered before in several threads, but there seems to be a wide variety of opinion. I attribute the differences in opinion, at least in part, to the uses people put their Jeeps to. The reason for the doubts is partly the contrary opinions I've read, and partly because in reading the threads I learned Gladiator has Traction Control, which I have never experienced.

Therefore some background. I live in South Florida, where it is flat and sandy. I currently drive a 2004 Dakota 4x4 (automatic) with LSD. Bought it new. I am new to Jeeps but not to 4WD.

The build: Overland with manual transmission, Trailer Tow, Safety Group, Adaptive Cruise, etc.

Use: Daily driver most of the time. At work I frequently have to go on construction sites with loose or muddy sand. 4H. In summer we have frequent rain showers, leaving the roads very slick for a period of time until enough rain falls to wash the oil off. So I often engage 4H in straight-line acceleration off a traffic light, to keep rear from spinning. Then click back to 2H. The only times I have used 4L was to pull some shrubbery stumps out.
I am not an off-roader, but I do go off-road sometimes on vacations. I will retire in about 3 years, and plan to go on a lot of road trips, including up north in winter. I have taken my Dakota on the beach several times in the Outer Banks. Deep, loose sand. Performed OK, but I now have 340,000 miles on it, so maybe the LSD is worn out? The last time was just this past summer, and I had no problems, LSD worn out or not.

I am considering two alternatives.

1. Get LSD when I order it. Then I have the option of replacing with helical differential (if they become available for Gladiator), or elockers, after clutch packs wear out.

2. Omit LSD now to save $600, use the first couple years to evaluate Traction Control, maybe I decide I don't really need anything else. But can always add helical or locker later.

So, keeping in mind how I plan to use the vehicle, and that I hang on to a vehicle for a lonngg time, what advice can you give? Thanks in advance.
I guess, at this point, we should ask what you ended up doing. If I had seen this earlier, I would have recommended to get the LSD.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I guess, at this point, we should ask what you ended up doing. If I had seen this earlier, I would have recommended to get the LSD.
Why?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The reading I've done indicates it's better to have it. If it wasn't, why is it an expensive add-on? I always choose it, whenever it's an option. I haven't had any negative experiences with it.

OP
OP
DreamedofaJeepSomeday

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thanks for responding. I wondered why nobody did.

Anyway, I did order my Overland with the LSD. Figured better to have it than find myself in a situation where I wish I had it.

But Jeep announced plant closings just after I ordered. Then two weeks later my dealer informed me that a VIN had been assigned, so that is something. I figure if plants begin reopening 5/4, maybe I get my Overland mid June? Jeep, May the fourth be with you!
Sponsored