Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Maybe someone can help me out. Because looking back at the photo, I can barely see anything that would qualify as serious enough accident-related damage on that wheel. Especially that warrants a replacement. And if we're seriously talking about filing an insurance claim over a slightly-scuffed wheel, that's the definition of overkill. Am I just missing it or what? Is there maybe a better photo?
Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Keep this in mind, if you run this through insurance, an accident will show in the vehicles history and you will take a depreciation hit at trade in. The same exact thing happened to me with my last vehicle and it negatively impacted value. I wish I wouldn't have contacted my/their insurance company and just paid to have the vehicle alignment checked outside of insurance when there wasn't any damage. This is a tough call that you and you alone have to make. See if the driver will give you the cash for a rim replacement outside of insurance... it will work in their favor as well to pay for their repairs outside of an insurance claim... young drivers pay through the nose for accidents
That's not completely true. I won't pretend to know the inner workings of how accidents end up MVRs, but they definitely don't all end up there.

Someone creamed my car in a Walmart parking lot a couple years ago. The police didn't respond because it wasn't on a city road, so I just filed a claim with his insurance company. They paid the claim, fixed my car, and it didn't show up as an accident on my MVR.

I'm thinking the official filing of a police report is what triggers the accident on the MVR, but again, that's just best guess based on my own experience and a few years' experience in the insurance industry.

muengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Never thought this would happen to me.
While waiting in front of a restaurant to pick up my food, a 17 yr old with her daddy's bimmer hits my car. She says she can turn into the spot next to me but hit my front wheel instead.

She didnt have an ins card, vut i let her go after getting her info.
Her dads front headlight was broken and yea.. her bumper was caved in.

As for my gladiator, got a little scratch on the rims, but the car still runs straight with no wobble nor noise.
I guess ours cars are built tough.
Should i still go have it checked? Or you think it is an overkill?

View attachment 183639

View attachment 183640
I have to be honest, if that happened to me, the Police would be called and there would be a report and I would call my insurance immediately.

Several years ago I was rear ended by a young girl driving daddy's car at low speed. The tire carrier cover on my vehicle was scratched bad enough it needed repainted. Her car had bumper cover damage that was going to require replacement.

I called the police and they came out and filed a report, she also didn't have insurance proof in the car and she was given a court summons. Not only did she tell her Dad I backed into her on a state highway, she lied about the police being called, didn't show up in court and never told her insurance anything happened.

I had to hire a lawyer and sue him for harassment, only in court did he find out his little bitch lied, but then my insurance had to sue him to get my car fixed and it took 3 months for it to settle out.

Girls driving Daddy's BMW who hit things are irresponsible, know their Dad is going to shit a brick and will lie like a rug to not get their phone taken away.

You made a mistake, correct it immediately by contacting your insurance and giving them her information.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that touching a vehicle is grounds for a lawsuit. Suddenly society being where it is today makes total sense...

Are we really going to sue someone because of a few scratches on a wheel?

Ankh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator, '10 commander
Occupation
Steel
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know that any lawsuits need filed, but if we're my newer truck I would want the scratched wheel replaced/repaired. It wasn't scratched when you parked it.

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have to be honest, if that happened to me, the Police would be called and there would be a report and I would call my insurance immediately.

Several years ago I was rear ended by a young girl driving daddy's car at low speed. The tire carrier cover on my vehicle was scratched bad enough it needed repainted. Her car had bumper cover damage that was going to require replacement.

I called the police and they came out and filed a report, she also didn't have insurance proof in the car and she was given a court summons. Not only did she tell her Dad I backed into her on a state highway, she lied about the police being called, didn't show up in court and never told her insurance anything happened.

I had to hire a lawyer and sue him for harassment, only in court did he find out his little bitch lied, but then my insurance had to sue him to get my car fixed and it took 3 months for it to settle out.

Girls driving Daddy's BMW who hit things are irresponsible, know their Dad is going to shit a brick and will lie like a rug to not get their phone taken away.

You made a mistake, correct it immediately by contacting your insurance and giving them her information.
police typically will not respond to minor accidents in parking lost due to them being private property.... personal injury might be different.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tell the girls dad you would like a new wheel and an alignment with a front end inspection.

If the BMW was pristine before the accident, he will probably understand.

4MOTION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, 2021 ECD ) A90 Supra, Kia Niro
It doesn't need to be blown out of proportion. But there should be some "accountability."

Perhaps this was done before, or not. But nevertheless, this will perhaps help her to be more careful in the future.

muengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that touching a vehicle is grounds for a lawsuit. Suddenly society being where it is today makes total sense...

Are we really going to sue someone because of a few scratches on a wheel?
I sued the father of the girl because he harassed me with endless phone calls and threatening letters. He lived in another state and my local police wouldn’t do anything.

When he showed up in civil court and my lawyer showed the judge the police report, he banged the gavel, awarded his judgement to me and told the man to get his act together and prove in 7 days that he had notified his insurance of the accident.

After that my lawyer forwarded the judgement to my insurance who turned around and hauled him into court for fraud because of the statements he made to them based on his daughter’s lies.

Had the asshole thought for two seconds and sought a copy of the police report himself none of this would have happened.

If he had just told his insurance to pay I would have left the issue alone.

If this kind of thing happened to you even once you would understand why anytime a vehicle is damaged there needs to be documentation.

That girl who hit the OP could claim something like she was hit and all it did was scratch his wheel. How will he prove that since it’s she said he said now?

Being nice in this circumstance never pays, ever.

Fungshui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Back in the day I also had a teenager back into me at parking lot. They t-boned the front fender but at a low speed. The resulting damage was a dented and scratched fender. The driver admitted that she wasn't looking behind her.

She asked if she we can skip the insurance claim and her uncle could fix it for me at his bodyshop. I felt bad for her and agreed but I also took her insurance and info down just in case.

After meeting at the bodyshop, the uncle said he could use touch up paint to fix it scratches. I inquired about the dent and he stated that it could have been there before. I showed him the pictures of accident and the two impact points on both vehicles. In addition to highlight the paint of her car was still deposited on my car.

We go back and forth and eventually her parents showed up and started yelling at me and claiming that I'm scamming them. It was huge cluster ____, I told them we should we insurance take care of it and walked away.

The claim with her insurance was swift as it was her 3rd accident within the year of getting her license.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't need to be blown out of proportion. But there should be some "accountability."

Perhaps this was done before, or not. But nevertheless, this will perhaps help her to be more careful in the future.
I had someone rear end me a few years ago. The trailer hitch took 99% of the hit, with a small scuff on the bumper skin.

Professionally repainting the skin would have been $500ish.
But I really didn't care about the scuff.

She was clearly affluent so I told the lady who hit me that if she gave me a check made out to Arlington Eats for $300, a local food pantry, I would be happy and wouldn't contact her insurance company.

She agreed.

She paid a bit and a local charity got a donation.

(A few years later after my bumper has accumulated so many scuffs her was no longer visible, I bought a color matched kit online. It included color correct paint and clear coat in rattle cans. I removed the skin, blocked it and filled it and 2 hours later it was looking almost new.)

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Being nice in this circumstance never pays, ever.
Correct. Unfortunate, but correct.

A former coworker of mine, who was typically nice to a fault, got side-swiped by a lady carelessly changing lanes in Florida (shocker, I know). At the scene, she told him she didn't have her insurance info on her, but they exchanged phone numbers and she said she would call him later to give him the insurance info. He agreed, and let her go.

Minor side note: While telling us this story, he repeatedly made mention of how the lady looked like she was struggling financially, and was also pregnant, and he felt bad about the thought of raining even more complications down on her life.

So, fast forward a week or so. He never got her insurance info. So he was stuck paying his own $1000 deductible to fix the vehicle (it was leased, so he had to).

Fast forward another couple weeks, and he gets a call from a lawyer who is claiming that his "poor, pregnant driver" had to go to the hospital multiple times for neck injuries and to make sure her baby was ok... 😑

And my coworker, god bless him, was like, "Well I hope her baby is ok!"

<insert giant facepalm here>

Luckily we convinced him that she was just scamming him, and told him to pay his own deductible so his insurance would subrogate her, and shoo away the ambulance chasing lawyer now that they had an interest in the claim.

Insurance companies suck, but they're essentially your defense attorneys for traffic accidents. There's no sense in paying them every month if you're just going to ignore everything that happens to your vehicle.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I had a guy back in to my JK. Put a dent in the plastic. I told him I’d take $50 in Chick-fil-A gift cards and call it even.

:)

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Happened earlier this year to me.
I copied the below from my post in another thread

"Some ass backed into my right rear quarter panel earlier this year while I was at the MTB trails. He took off after hitting my jeep. There was a guy in the parking lot who saw the whole thing (smoking a blunt as he later told me.) I apparently rolled up on my MTB like 2-3 min after it happened. He told me he saw a passenger get out of the vehicle that hit mine (before the accident) and get into another car that drove off into the park. That same vehicle with said passenger comes rolling up the dirt road at that very moment....I jump in front of the car and tell them to stop. The kid who was in the car I jumped in front of wont give up his friends name. I tell him thats fine, but I have this car's license plate, his first name, this drivers first name and the cops are on their way. The kid is obviously high as F@#$. Kid gives up his friend about 2 minutes after the cops get there. About ten minutes after that, the car that hit mine rolls in, dad yelling at his son and super apologetic.

A funny side note...the blunt smoking witness was some OG gangster guy, full prison tattoos reading things like F%$# cops, helter skelter ect.... He is in bilateral leg braces and crutches. He actually called the cops for me before I even got there. He tells me he almost didn't do it because he got that way after being in a shoot out with the cops years ago!"

img_4229-jpeg.jpg

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had someone rear end me a few years ago. The trailer hitch took 99% of the hit, with a small scuff on the bumper skin.

Professionally repainting the skin would have been $500ish.
But I really didn't care about the scuff.

She was clearly affluent so I told the lady who hit me that if she gave me a check made out to Arlington Eats for $300, a local food pantry, I would be happy and wouldn't contact her insurance company.

She agreed.

She paid a bit and a local charity got a donation.

(A few years later after my bumper has accumulated so many scuffs her was no longer visible, I bought a color matched kit online. It included color correct paint and clear coat in rattle cans. I removed the skin, blocked it and filled it and 2 hours later it was looking almost new.)
One other thing that relates to covering your ass. I recorded our interaction with my phone held obviously in front of me and she admitting that she rear ended me because she was playing with her phone in heavy traffic.

I figured that covers me if the cops aren't called.
Sponsored