Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I sued the father of the girl because he harassed me with endless phone calls and threatening letters. He lived in another state and my local police wouldn’t do anything.

When he showed up in civil court and my lawyer showed the judge the police report, he banged the gavel, awarded his judgement to me and told the man to get his act together and prove in 7 days that he had notified his insurance of the accident.

After that my lawyer forwarded the judgement to my insurance who turned around and hauled him into court for fraud because of the statements he made to them based on his daughter’s lies.

Had the asshole thought for two seconds and sought a copy of the police report himself none of this would have happened.

If he had just told his insurance to pay I would have left the issue alone.

If this kind of thing happened to you even once you would understand why anytime a vehicle is damaged there needs to be documentation.

That girl who hit the OP could claim something like she was hit and all it did was scratch his wheel. How will he prove that since it’s she said he said now?

Being nice in this circumstance never pays, ever.
Where I live police will not come out unless there is someone injured, otherwise deal with it yourselves and file a police report if over a certain dollar amount. You could fill out the police report one way and the other party the exact opposite.
Sponsored

muengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Where I live police will not come out unless there is someone injured, otherwise deal with it yourselves and file a police report if over a certain dollar amount. You could fill out the police report one way and the other party the exact opposite.
Where I live the rule is if the damage is over $500, then you call the police if you want insurance to pay for it. They can deny your claim if they choose without a police report.

Since most of us have no idea what a repair will cost, virtually all accidents require police reports.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Where I live the rule is if the damage is over $500, then you call the police if you want insurance to pay for it. They can deny your claim if they choose without a police report.

Since most of us have no idea what a repair will cost, virtually all accidents require police reports.
Same here with the requirement for police reports, just saying the police don't create the report both parties do and they can fill it out anyway they choose.

Devil Dog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave, 2023 Rubicon 392
OP, maybe in Cali a scuffed rim isn't a big deal. But here in the rust belt, the road salt and calcium chloride will corrode that bare aluminum very quickly and possibly compromise the bead. That results in a slow leak.
If it were mine, I'd get that rim replaced. How you go about that is up to you.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Always CYA in a vehicle incident!!! Don't think the other party is not going to report it as a hit and run.
As I've posted on a different threads about this.
Now something I know from being the one taking the reports from MVA's people flat out lie almost always. Oh how many parking lot reports and to include false claims made too.
Almost 2 weeks ago I had a dips### try to "get backed" into by me. I was backing out from getting a coffee on way to work, I've cleared area to back out and backed up about to pull forward to leave as the clown runs right up on back of my JT then started honking horn. No contact made but the driver was fishing for a accident. Front and rear "dash camera's" :like: ;) I cannot think about not having them anymore too.

Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Hard to say, try to ask the Dad to pay for it outside the insurance, give him a reasonable price...That would be the best solution for both sides. Otherwise insurance rates will go up.

Dosn't look like much of a scratch so I'd guess no damage to vital JT parts...I'd say get your oil changed and ask them to inspect the front end. I'd be surprised if they charge you for the inspection.

You have to make the offer quickly, he needs to pay you quickly, and get it inspected right away just in case I am wrong.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Three months ago I had a 19 yo in a F150 back out and hit my bumper in a parking lot. His rear bumper slid up the winch guard bar on my front bumper. I did a report to cover my A$$, is father called me that afternoon and ask if he could pay to avoid a ins clame. My only hassle was waiting over two months for the replacement bumper to come in. His dad paid the repairs, did the report insure that he would replace the bumper, I don't know but it sure helped. I have friends in LE and they say always do a report it covers you.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Three months ago I had a 19 yo in a F150 back out and hit my bumper in a parking lot. His rear bumper slid up the winch guard bar on my front bumper. I did a report to cover my A$$, is father called me that afternoon and ask if he could pay to avoid a ins clame. My only hassle was waiting over two months for the replacement bumper to come in. His dad paid the repairs, did the report insure that he would replace the bumper, I don't know but it sure helped. I have friends in LE and they say always do a report it covers you.
My perspective is that you will never regret doing a report or calling a cop.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Random side note, but in KY they've apparently gone to "no fault" insurance at some point in the not so distant future. I hate it. To me it's dead wrong to force a person to file a claim with their insurance, knowing that it's going to result in a rate increase, over something they have nothing to do with!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Random side note, but in KY they've apparently gone to "no fault" insurance at some point in the not so distant future. I hate it. To me it's dead wrong to force a person to file a claim with their insurance, knowing that it's going to result in a rate increase, over something they have nothing to do with!
Its interesting. 30 years ago CT went to No Fault. It resulted in people suing each other over insurance deductibles in small claims court.

In a few years it was phased out.

If I have a $1000 deductible and you hit me. I dont' have to pay a deductible. If its no fault I would still be responsible for my deductible.

Also, if I'm hit by you, I can also push your insurance company to pay me for something called "diminished value". Essentially it puts a dollar value on the decrease in what the car is worth now that its been in an accident.

Back when I owned a 2 year old Audi, I got $6000 in diminished value payment after a truck cut me off and I had to run off the road over a curb to avoid him. This was in addition to paying for my rental and fixing my car with all factory parts.
Sponsored