eugene4eva

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Never thought this would happen to me.
While waiting in front of a restaurant to pick up my food, a 17 yr old with her daddy's bimmer hits my car. She says she can turn into the spot next to me but hit my front wheel instead.

She didnt have an ins card, vut i let her go after getting her info.
Her dads front headlight was broken and yea.. her bumper was caved in.

As for my gladiator, got a little scratch on the rims, but the car still runs straight with no wobble nor noise.
I guess ours cars are built tough.
Should i still go have it checked? Or you think it is an overkill?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I would say you have to decide if all the hassle is worth it for a scratched wheel. Legally, you can push the issue and maybe get a new wheel. But it will cost much time and frustration dealing with an insurance company and everything else.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I'd push it. Its a parking lot and she hit you while parked so its very cut and dry. Call her insurance directly, say what happend and tell them you want it checked out at the very least.

Or call the owner and say you want to get the car checked out and see if he'll cover it. If something comes out after that you can always go to his insurance.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Never thought this would happen to me.
While waiting in front of a restaurant to pick up my food, a 17 yr old with her daddy's bimmer hits my car. She says she can turn into the spot next to me but hit my front wheel instead.

She didnt have an ins card, vut i let her go after getting her info.
Her dads front headlight was broken and yea.. her bumper was caved in.

As for my gladiator, got a little scratch on the rims, but the car still runs straight with no wobble nor noise.
I guess ours cars are built tough.
Should i still go have it checked? Or you think it is an overkill?

View attachment 183639

View attachment 183640
Call your insurance company and ask them.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I wouldn’t both, I had someone move into my lane while going about 15mph, they hit my rear tire with their front fender and bumper, put a small scratch on my wheel but didn’t touch anything else beside the tire. The other car was dented, we both stopped he apologized and I didn’t bother getting any info from him.
where your wheels are black it would be very easy to touch up a scratch as well.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
If it tracks straight and doesn't vibrate that should mean that the alignment wasn't compromised and the wheel isn't bent. Wheel bearings don't like hard impacts, but the brunt of the force was taken by her bumper and headlight, so I can't see that being an issue in the future. So, chances are that nothing major happened. If you are willing to assume the risk, then you can either let it go, or see if the BMW owner offers you anything for the scratched wheel.

BUT, keep in mind that the BMW owner may be going through insurance for repairs (those LED headlights can be expensive!!). If you provided the other driver with your information, they may report you as being involved in the accident. That is when things could get complicated.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
My 2 cents, for what its worth: I expect scratches and dings on this vehicle, I wouldnt go through the hassle of filing a claim and paying deductible for a new wheel, BUT I contact the insurance, inform them of the incident and provide details, and take it to a local shop for quick inspection. 1 hour of labor costs to provide your insurance with documents from the shop with clean bill of health, etc. Just CYA stuff.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Keep this in mind, if you run this through insurance, an accident will show in the vehicles history and you will take a depreciation hit at trade in. The same exact thing happened to me with my last vehicle and it negatively impacted value. I wish I wouldn't have contacted my/their insurance company and just paid to have the vehicle alignment checked outside of insurance when there wasn't any damage. This is a tough call that you and you alone have to make. See if the driver will give you the cash for a rim replacement outside of insurance... it will work in their favor as well to pay for their repairs outside of an insurance claim... young drivers pay through the nose for accidents

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Get the info. Ask for a new rim. If you can't live with a scratch. I'd keep it between him and you. That way yes more likely to spring for the rim. IMO

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Unless you filed a report, something like this could easily turn into your word vs. their word situation. Not that you couldn't prevail in the face of that, but you need to weigh the cost of going through that hassle. For me, it wouldn't be worth it at this point. Leaving the scene without 3rd party documentation can often lead to trouble.

You could ask them to pay for new rim/inspection. They might agree, in which case great. If they refuse, then you're in for an unpleasant battle.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
If this were me and I let it slide withought having it checked out I’m pretty sure 6 months from now the wheel would fall off at highway speed.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Get it checked for peace of mind if you cared enough to post it, it probably bothers you, maybe try and keep it between you and the kid's parents.

Having been a 16 year old kid who did something similar, I cannot tell you how much to this day I appreciate a non-issue like this not being reported to my insurance mean. It would have ruined me at the time... world wouldn't have ended but it would have felt like it was.
Sponsored