Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
I'd call her dad and reason with him to:

1. pay for an inspection to confirm your alignment is still good, etc.
2. pay for new wheel

This is going to be way less expensive than his increased premiums.

To share a story from over 20 yrs ago when I was in college. I was driving my wife's (my girlfriend at the time) car. I started to pull out from a parking spot and saw another car coming toward us. We stopped. However, the two folks in the car were dorking around and did not see us. No kidding it was low speed they had well over 10 sec to see us. They did not and hit us square on. Turns out the boyfriend was also driving his girlfriends car. We decided not to get a Police report (mistake) and they lied to her father. That Jagoff was calling me not stop threatening me with a law suit to pay for his daughters car. I told him the truth which he did not believe. In the end, my now Father-In-Law turned it in and had to sign a waiver saying I would never drive any of their cars....

Kidding crappy situation, but kids will do anything to get out of trouble. I hope this works out for you.
Sponsored

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Huh... deja vu..

Starting to think it's something with BMW drivers, honestly.

(I made a similar post, a few weeks ago, when a gal smashed her door into my rock sliders... lol.. that poor door)

Our next door neighbor's daughter has a BMW, and has wrecked it a couple of times, already, too, apparently.

Again.. I feel like I'm seeing a trend.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned.. I'd contact her insurance (if you got the info) and just tell them you're either:

a.) Wanting a replaced rim.
b.) Want them to pay for a quick check up at the dealership, just to make sure there's no permanent damage.
c.) both a & b

For ME, I expect rims will catch damage (same reason I didn't try to hit the gal up for scratching my sliders), either from crawling, or simple road rash from cars driving by on the interstate.... so the rim wouldn't bother me, assuming the dealership Oks it... but yeah, I'd definitely be doing b, at the least.

~ Casp

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Huh... deja vu..

Starting to think it's something with BMW drivers, honestly.

(I made a similar post, a few weeks ago, when a gal smashed her door into my rock sliders... lol.. that poor door)

Our next door neighbor's daughter has a BMW, and has wrecked it a couple of times, already, too, apparently.

Again.. I feel like I'm seeing a trend.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned.. I'd contact her insurance (if you got the info) and just tell them you're either:

a.) Wanting a replaced rim.
b.) Want them to pay for a quick check up at the dealership, just to make sure there's no permanent damage.
c.) both a & b

For ME, I expect rims will catch damage (same reason I didn't try to hit the gal up for scratching my sliders), either from crawling, or simple road rash from cars driving by on the interstate.... so the rim wouldn't bother me, assuming the dealership Oks it... but yeah, I'd definitely be doing b, at the least.

~ Casp
I will preface this with we are a two BMW household and my JT.....

Question: What is the difference between a BMW and a Porcupine?

Answer: For the BMW, the prick is on the inside.....

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
To share a story from over 20 yrs ago when I was in college. I was driving my wife's (my girlfriend at the time) car. I started to pull out from a parking spot and saw another car coming toward us. We stopped. However, the two folks in the car were dorking around and did not see us. No kidding it was low speed they had well over 10 sec to see us. They did not and hit us square on. Turns out the boyfriend was also driving his girlfriends car. We decided not to get a Police report (mistake) and they lied to her father. That Jagoff was calling me not stop threatening me with a law suit to pay for his daughters car. I told him the truth which he did not believe. In the end, my now Father-In-Law turned it in and had to sign a waiver saying I would never drive any of their cars....
Had a similar situation when I first got my license. I was literally driving for about 3 months, when some lady backed into my car, putting a dent in it. She said for me to call her, and she'd arrange for the repairs, gave us her phone number.. and left.

I got home, told my dad.. and he immediately called the cops.

They showed up, looked at my damage, and called the lady... turns out she called the cops, when she got home.. and claimed it was a hit and run... someone 'rear ended her' and then left the scene.

When the cops pointed out that I had her number, she admitted she lied, that it wasn't actually a hit in run, but she 'felt so bad for that boy, that I didn't want him to get in trouble for hitting me'.

So it became a he said she said.. even though I had 2 friends in the car with me, to confirm my story, the police said they'd recommend just letting it go... I had that car for another 10 years, and it had that dent in it, still, when I finally scrapped it.

Lesson learned.. don't trust anyone to 'do the right thing'... get it all documented and in writing, before they can change their story.

~ Casp

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
I will preface this with we are a two BMW household and my JT.....

Question: What is the difference between a BMW and a Porcupine?

Answer: For the BMW, the prick is on the inside.....
Lol.... I've used that joke for a number of other cars, in the past, cept I usually word it as 'Porcupines have the pricks on the outside' ;)

(around here, I tend to apply it to GMC owners... can't tell you how many I see around here, that have zero regards for any rules of the road... from cutting people off, not signals, and running red lights/stopsigns... I have sort of declared I'd never own a GMC)

To be honest, I know it's not the vehicle, itself... it's just distracted drivers, that likely don't have experience. (My parents made me park in the empty spots of the parking lots, until I got fully 'spatially aware' of my vehicle)

~ Casp

Sponsored

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Had a similar situation when I first got my license. I was literally driving for about 3 months, when some lady backed into my car, putting a dent in it. She said for me to call her, and she'd arrange for the repairs, gave us her phone number.. and left.

I got home, told my dad.. and he immediately called the cops.

They showed up, looked at my damage, and called the lady... turns out she called the cops, when she got home.. and claimed it was a hit and run... someone 'rear ended her' and then left the scene.

When the cops pointed out that I had her number, she admitted she lied, that it wasn't actually a hit in run, but she 'felt so bad for that boy, that I didn't want him to get in trouble for hitting me'.

So it became a he said she said.. even though I had 2 friends in the car with me, to confirm my story, the police said they'd recommend just letting it go... I had that car for another 10 years, and it had that dent in it, still, when I finally scrapped it.

Lesson learned.. don't trust anyone to 'do the right thing'... get it all documented and in writing, before they can change their story.

~ Casp
Sad but true... Why can't we all just be upstanding folks? Stuff happens, learn from it and move on... There are good folks out there.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator 1 Jeep2

I had a 19 yr old blow a corner and stuff my front end ... in my case the driver side wheel was pushed back about 2". bent upper and lower control arms. In the end the axle was fine and it realigned without issue. I'd bet yours is just fine.

However if the wheel is scratched bad enough I would submit a claim with her insurance.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I would talk to her dad and give hime 2 options:

A- pay for an inspection of the truck and buy a new wheel (that way you get a matching wheel for your spare!)

or

B - submit a claim to your insurance company so that they go after him…

I bet he’ll pick A!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Never thought this would happen to me.
While waiting in front of a restaurant to pick up my food, a 17 yr old with her daddy's bimmer hits my car. She says she can turn into the spot next to me but hit my front wheel instead.

She didnt have an ins card, vut i let her go after getting her info.
Her dads front headlight was broken and yea.. her bumper was caved in.

As for my gladiator, got a little scratch on the rims, but the car still runs straight with no wobble nor noise.
I guess ours cars are built tough.
Should i still go have it checked? Or you think it is an overkill?

View attachment 183639

View attachment 183640
Left front wheel of my F250 was hit years ago. The truck LOOKED fine, but the steering knuckle was slightly bent and the toe out on turns was screwed up, etc. Everyone figured no damage to my truck other than the trim around the wheel cover so...........

Sponsored

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'd get it looked at but if you file a claim there will be an accident tied to your VIN. The report won't say "scratched wheel" so there's a chance you diminish the value of the truck. Did you give your info to them?

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I would have not let her leave the scene without a police report. This could turn around and bite you. She could have gone home and laid on the waterworks to daddy and said you hit her. Next thing you know your insurance company is paying for BMW repairs and your rates go up.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
What Chris said. I had something like this happen to me. I let the kid go after exchanging information…

Then got a phone call from a furious father for hurting his princess. She told him a tall tale at home. They pursued charges. Fortunately there was a camera, she was 15, and my insurance company fought for me.

I like to think the best of people, but I’m situations like this sometimes it’s important to just make sure your side of the story is reported.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Or file a police report at the nearest station.

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Keep this in mind, if you run this through insurance, an accident will show in the vehicles history and you will take a depreciation hit at trade in. The same exact thing happened to me with my last vehicle and it negatively impacted value. I wish I wouldn't have contacted my/their insurance company and just paid to have the vehicle alignment checked outside of insurance when there wasn't any damage. This is a tough call that you and you alone have to make. See if the driver will give you the cash for a rim replacement outside of insurance... it will work in their favor as well to pay for their repairs outside of an insurance claim... young drivers pay through the nose for accidents
gonna second this. If you can swing the cost of an inspection, just get it done without insurance for peace of mind. The second insurance is notified, it’s on a report. The rim, meh…I’d not sweat it. Again, these are personal decisions you need to make because WE aren’t YOU.

As for dad, if you want to touch base, explain it, and be done, cool.

dude hit my JKU from behind while at a red light. My Ace bumper had a scratch, his accord was crushed. a kid too, 19 I think. I exchanged info and told him he’s got bigger problems and I don’t need to compound them over a scratch.
Sponsored