Sponsored

Getting mud offf from the under/inside

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So on another Jeep/wrangler forum I was looking at a thread on high mileage 3.6L engines. The only consistent issues people seemed to have was battery and mud caked on and causing parts to fail. One poster said he just sits his Jeep in water from a boat ramp for half an hour. I know there are a couple thorough threads on water fording depth. Other posts say leave a sprinkler on under your Jeep to get mud off. My question is: can you just sit the Jeep running in the water for half an hour to soak away all the mud? Not 30" deep, but maybe something like 24"?

Would using one of those undercarriage pressure hose washers cause too much water to get into places? I recall that the reason you don't drive more than 5mph when fording 30" is to keep water from being forced into places.
Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I use the same little electric pressure washer with the 25 degree head that I use to wash it. Works great and with the Mopar lift and 37s makes it really easy to get under and into all the nooks and crannies. I don’t think I would be comfortable letting it soak is a water bath, but that’s just me.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Back when I was heavy into mudding and off-roading, before we left the house, we'd spray the undersides of the 4-wheelers and trucks with Pam cooking spray. Let it dry, then go off-roading. Afterwards, the mud falls right off with a hose and pressure washer.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back when I was heavy into mudding and off-roading, before we left the house, we'd spray the undersides of the 4-wheelers and trucks with Pam cooking spray. Let it dry, then go off-roading. Afterwards, the mud falls right off with a hose and pressure washer.
wonder if that works any better than fluid film? Certainly cheaper on a per application basis. Does it adhere well? Do you need to apply it to a clean surface or just spray it and forget it?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
wonder if that works any better than fluid film? Certainly cheaper on a per application basis. Does it adhere well? Do you need to apply it to a clean surface or just spray it and forget it?
Worked best for us on a clean surface, let it dry, then go off-roading. Reapply each time.

Sponsored

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I use a sweep-type of lawn sprinkler, re-positioning it every 10 minutes or so till the whole underside's done well.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use a sweep-type of lawn sprinkler, re-positioning it every 10 minutes or so till the whole underside's done well.
And if I live in a rental where I don't have access to a garden hose?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And if I live in a rental where I don't have access to a garden hose?
Find a coin-operated car wash where you pay to use a pressure washer, would be the next best recommendation.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I recall that the reason you don't drive more than 5mph when fording 30" is to keep water from being forced into places.
going slow when water fording is so you don’t create a wave in the engine bay that gets sucked into the intake.

as far as cleaning the underside, last time I played in the mud, I laid down on the ground along side the truck and blasted the underside with an electric power washer. Another member (different thread) recommended the ryobi water broom for power washers as it can be turned over for undercarriage power washing. Picked up one last week at the orange box store.
Sponsored