Sponsored

Gladiator 3.6 low RPM noise when cold

MagnusWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
I think this may be normal but not 100% sure, I have a 2021 gladiator with 3.6L V6 pentastar with 8 speed auto transmission and 4,800 miles. I notice when it is freezing cold outside and I first start driving I am getting a somewhat faint diesel like clatter or rattle when at low RPM only when trying to accelerate gently, seems louder when accelerating up hill. Once the engine reaches operating temp the engine is quiet. I've been running 93 octane since I bought it new. Thinking it may have something to do with the factory tune running it rich for cold temps? Anyone else hear this kind of noise when they first start driving in winter?
Sponsored

pkings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
I think this may be normal but not 100% sure, I have a 2021 gladiator with 3.6L V6 pentastar with 8 speed auto transmission and 4,800 miles. I notice when it is freezing cold outside and I first start driving I am getting a somewhat faint diesel like clatter or rattle when at low RPM only when trying to accelerate gently, seems louder when accelerating up hill. Once the engine reaches operating temp the engine is quiet. I've been running 93 octane since I bought it new. Thinking it may have something to do with the factory tune running it rich for cold temps? Anyone else hear this kind of noise when they first start driving in winter?

Yes perfectly normal

OP
OP
MagnusWolf

MagnusWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
Ok, thanks for your replies, good to know other gladiator owners hear the same thing. I wasn't too worried about it as I heard other brands of trucks make a similar sound but can't be too careful right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MagnusWolf

MagnusWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
Mine does it. I donā€™t like it, and only use light throttle until it gets warm.
I usually baby mine till it gets up to temp as well but if other jeeps do the same thing then it must be normal. I also notice this noise on some Toyota trucks as well. I'm guessing either the fuel is rich or the cam phasers are timing for cold weather then when it goes to close loop the engine runs normal. Also the new Pentastar has variable valve lift on the intake valves so maybe that is contributing to weird noises.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
Iā€™ve been hunting down and starting to research a similar soundā€¦ itā€™s not a constant, but around or above 3k rpm Iā€™ll get this almost chain like rattle sound until it shifts to lower rpms. Itā€™s sometimes quiet, sometimes a little louder. Never hear it at lower revs, and I can easily cover it up with the radio. Donā€™t know if itā€™s a cold weather thing because I got it in October and babied it a little to break it in, and the weather got cold.

I have two of the 3.2l v6s in 2 Cherokees that are based off this engine and never heard anything like it so I was going to see if a tech could look at it and see if it was a loose heat shield or skidplate or something. Now Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™ll just have to live with it.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I know the newer engines are built to start up and take off running, but I'm still old school and let it sit for several minutes on colder days to let the fluids circulate and warm up before I head out.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I've heard the same noise as others and have been wondering about this too. Oddly, I don't remember my MY2020 having the same characteristic?

OP
OP
MagnusWolf

MagnusWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
Was driving down the highway today and got death wobble 3 times, great more problems.
Sponsored