Sponsored

Gladiator 3l turbo diesel and Silverado 3l turbo diesel. I’ve got both so mini review. UPDATE!

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Update on the Silverado. I noticed last week it was starting to make a "grinding" noise that varied with engine RPM. Sounded like a bearing to me. Took it in to the dealership and it's got a bad belt tensioner. Should have the replacement in a couple days. A little over 12k miles. Warranty obviously. Glad it wasn't something with electronics or it would have been 6 months.....

The Jeep continues to be awesome.
Sponsored

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Nice comparison. I briefly considered a 1/2 ton diesel but really only wanted the Jeep. Have been a Jeep nut for over 20 years and swore I was buying the new Jeep truck as soon as it came out, but opted to wait on the diesel since I was coming from a 2500HD duramax.

I now have just over 6k miles on mine and feel it is the best decision I’ve made in a long time regarding vehicle choices. Pulls like a train, drives really well in any condition and is fun.

I haven’t gotten to wheel it yet but will this fall sometime.

BB07D923-F3FA-46F0-A506-30356E31431C.jpeg

BB3C0ADE-8F6B-4D0B-B042-1322C76AA908.jpeg

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Cool comparison, thanks for posting.
The JT is cool because it is a diesel Jeep, IMO the little Dmax is a way superior engine to the engine in the JT, the axle ratio difference isn’t really that relevant as they have completely different transmissions with different ratios.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
We’re at 2700 miles on the Gladiator. Another trip to Michigan today. Got 26.2mpg average. Going up nicely as the engine breaks in.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
Our normal Michigan trip. Rolled 3k miles. Hit 27.2mpg today. Averaged 26.5-27 all day. I’m very happy with that. It’s a mostly 2 lane drive so that’s at 62mph. If I push up to 80 on the short 4 lane sections the mileage drops to 26-ish. I‘m VERY happy with that. With 18.5 gallons of diesel that’s a 500 mile range. Also, I’m down to about 50% of DEF. Based on when I’ve added fluid it looks like a tank should last 5k miles for me.

One last thing. The belt tensioner for the Silverado finally came in. Took about three weeks. Otherwise the Chevy soldiers on just like it should. I’ll roll 13k on it this week.

1TYQKBm.jpg

Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
man i kinda like that the turbo is like right there on the side on the duromax,looks like a perfect spot like a guy like me that likes tinkering with stuff :D

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Our normal Michigan trip. Rolled 3k miles. Hit 27.2mpg today. Averaged 26.5-27 all day. I’m very happy with that. It’s a mostly 2 lane drive so that’s at 62mph. If I push up to 80 on the short 4 lane sections the mileage drops to 26-ish. I‘m VERY happy with that. With 18.5 gallons of diesel that’s a 500 mile range. Also, I’m down to about 50% of DEF. Based on when I’ve added fluid it looks like a tank should last 5k miles for me.

One last thing. The belt tensioner for the Silverado finally came in. Took about three weeks. Otherwise the Chevy soldiers on just like it should. I’ll roll 13k on it this week.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator 3l turbo diesel and Silverado 3l turbo diesel.  I’ve got both so mini review. UPDATE! 1TYQKBm
I must drive like a complete A-Hole because I'm lucky if I get more than about 23 mpg. Most of my driving is either around our suburb (30-45 mph between lights and such) or to/from work (18 miles one way @ 55-80 mph). But...if I had the 3.6 I'm sure I would be lucky to clear 13 mpg so I'm happy with it.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
I must drive like a complete A-Hole because I'm lucky if I get more than about 23 mpg. Most of my driving is either around our suburb (30-45 mph between lights and such) or to/from work (18 miles one way @ 55-80 mph). But...if I had the 3.6 I'm sure I would be lucky to clear 13 mpg so I'm happy with it.
Dude, it doesn’t seem to matter what I do, the truck averages 26mpg. It creeps up to 27 on longer trips but 26-ish seems to be the norm. Also, trust me I don’t “granny” it. I’m in the turbo a lot.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I had a '15 Ram 1500 with the 3.0 Ecodiesel. Not sure if the GDE tune is still available (either in general, or for the Gladiator in particular), but in the Ram I had, the GDE tune produced a dramatic reduction in turbo lag, just made it all-around more responsive (considerably more "go" than stock)(and no other mods), and better MPG also (hand calc'd not just the readout).

Regarding the merits of the 3.0 V6 engine, I recall reading that Gale Banks built a special batch of engines on this platform for some kind of focused-purpose, limited-run, cost-is-no-object, military vehicle. I have a lot of respect for Banks' approach to things so I don't think he would have selected the 3.0 V6 if he hadn't sized it up pretty carefully, and favorably.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
GM 3.0 diesel production has stopped. They're saying it's temporary due to supply issues but we'll see.

Sponsored

Brokenaxle

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
I can get ridiculous mpg on my commute into work 4.9l/100km or ~48mpg, overall average is 8.3-9.2l/100kms or 25-28mpg. Considering my Lexus RC 350 is averaging 9.5-10.5l/100kms, the Gladiator is awesome.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator 3l turbo diesel and Silverado 3l turbo diesel.  I’ve got both so mini review. UPDATE! glad 3

Red_5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, GX460, Miata race car
Great thread to find since I'm trying to pick between a Gladiator diesel and possibly an AT4X if it's available with the I6 diesel. If I keep my current Sierra, it will be the Gladiator for its size and going off road. If I need to sell my current truck, it might have to be the AT4 depending on its tow rating because I have a trailer that's too big for a Gladiator diesel.

I think I'd like a Gladiator with the I6 diesel . . .

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
All diesels should be i6 or slant 6. I dont get why the cummins is an i6 but this is a v6 both are dodge/chrysler/jeep offerings

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
I did some towing this weekend. My son has moved to Michigan, hence all the trips up there recently. Well, we took his furniture up on Monday using an enclosed trailer I borrowed from my parents.

RsGPj9m.jpg

Ended up getting 21.2mpg average on the trip. Considering how freaking tall the trailer is I'm pretty happy with that. I could tell it was there but there was plenty of power on tap. No issues pulling 70mph on the 4 lane for a bit with plenty more juice to go faster as needed.

Also, rolled 4300 miles this weekend. I'm scheduling up the first service. Third service for the Silverado as I'm at mid 14k.

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I too have both. I felt that the GM LM2 feels more like an American industrial design diesel than the EcoDiesel does. The 3rd Gen EcoDiesel feels way better than it did in my nephew's RAM 1500. The GM is my daily driver and the Gladiator is our lifestyle rig. I haven't had a chance to tow yet with the Glad, but the LM2 sucks down Def as soon as you hook up a trailer. I'm sure this has to do with getting it to pass EPA emissions testing. When I get the lift kit on and go to 35"s on the GMC it'll be really easy for me to do a side by side comp even towing cause we have a really steep grade about 30 minutes from my house.

Both are great vehicles IMO but totally different lifestyles. I can see a lot of people that never really offroad and needing the larger bed and interior space going with the GM and anyone that travels in extreme conditions or offroads wanting the Glad.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator 3l turbo diesel and Silverado 3l turbo diesel.  I’ve got both so mini review. UPDATE! IMG_20210819_165845_351

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator 3l turbo diesel and Silverado 3l turbo diesel.  I’ve got both so mini review. UPDATE! IMG_20200419_181528_755
Sponsored