Sponsored

Gladiator 3l turbo diesel and Silverado 3l turbo diesel. I’ve got both so mini review. UPDATE!

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Please explain "toad" vehicle....not familiar with that phrase (must be a pop culture West Coast thingy ma bob...kidding)...just trying to push your buttons...wanna see those "hundred" vehicles!
A "toad" vehicle is a vehicle being towed behind a motorhome.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Good to hear your GM is doing well. I've seen a lot of issues with those in the owners groups. Heck just last week a guy had a total engine failure at 140 miles. Not a typo. 140 miles. He didn't even make it home from the new purchase. Typical GM engineering....

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
I tested a brand new Sierra 1500 when I was shopping for trucks and the brakes smelled so bad in the cabin I thought they caught fire. Every time I would brake for a light they would heat up badly. Then they would smell for another couple of miles.
The ride was subpar too. Don't know how are they competitive with RAM and Ford.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I tested a brand new Sierra 1500 when I was shopping for trucks and the brakes smelled so bad in the cabin I thought they caught fire. Every time I would brake for a light they would heat up badly. Then they would smell for another couple of miles.
The ride was subpar too. Don't know how are they competitive with RAM and Ford.

They don't. Which is why their sales have been sliding for years and even Ram now sells more trucks than Chevy.

If GM considers their engineering to be "professional grade" I'd sure hate to see what they'd consider "contractor grade". My God... :surprised:

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Over 5k now on the Gladiator. First "Jeep Wave" service went just fine, as expected. Oil change and tire rotation. Had the service work done on the Silverado as well. At 15k miles now. Still just humming along. Also, the oil change on the Chevy was $123. I'm assuming the Gladiator will be about the same when I'm done with my "free" ones.
No real exciting updates. Just shy of 9k miles on the Gladiator. Going to be scheduling the 2nd oil change next month. Still love the diesel, still running great. Silverado went in for an early oil change last week just shy of 19k miles. I noticed a dragging feel and some squealing and grinding coming from the rear brakes. Turned out to be a rock stuck in a caliber. Had to replace the fuel filter and cabin filter as well. Interestingly this was the first fuel filter replacement this dealer had done on the baby Duramax.

Both are still running great. My peak “50 mile average” mileage on the Silverado is 33.3mpg. Both have dropped since we’re running winter blend now plus the Rubicon wheels and 33” KO2’s don’t help on the Gladiator.

Picked up a Bestop Sunrider as a Christmas ”gift” for the Glad and signed up for the Jeep Adventure Academy in May. I’m pumped!

Anyway, an early Merry Christmas!
Enjoy your new Sunrider for Hardtop!

- Eryn@bestop

Sponsored

RS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD on order, 2017 4runner TRD
Occupation
Self Employed
I like this comparison. I was originally looking at the 3.0 Duramax in the RST. A lot of dealerships started charging a premium+ on them. I am still interested in them but have since been looking at the ecodiesel.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
I’m rapidly closing in on 20k miles with the Silverado. Still chugging along. Rolled 9500 on the Jeep today and getting ready for the 2nd oil change. Still love both.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
Had an appointment for “Jeep Cares” oil change and tire rotation. Took care of an errand this morning and my wife had ran it down below a quarter tank so I was heading to get some diesel. The “check engine“ light came on. No power degradation and all temps and pressures were good. When the dealer opened I called and let the service department know about the CEL since I was bringing it in anyway.

Turns out one of the four heaters in the DEF tank has a problem. Ive got to take it back in a week so they can have it all day. I’m not totally surprised based on threads here and how cold it’s been. Manager said the def might just be frozen around that heating element but they want to check it out to make sure.

Service went fine and I had them put some black Quadratech lug nuts on when they did the rotation. Looks better than the chrome factory ones…..

The Gladiator hit 10,500 miles today. Silverado hit 20k a week ago.

The dealer had a 392 Wrangler Rubicon Recon in the showroom along with a Grand Wagoneer. The Rubi was sold ($83k) but the Wagoneer wasn’t. $113k sticker on the Wagoneer! That’s straight price, no fancy mark up. It had every option. It was nice but that’s Range Rover money.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Had an appointment for “Jeep Cares” oil change and tire rotation. Took care of an errand this morning and my wife had ran it down below a quarter tank so I was heading to get some diesel. The “check engine“ light came on. No power degradation and all temps and pressures were good. When the dealer opened I called and let the service department know about the CEL since I was bringing it in anyway.

Turns out one of the four heaters in the DEF tank has a problem. Ive got to take it back in a week so they can have it all day. I’m not totally surprised based on threads here and how cold it’s been. Manager said the def might just be frozen around that heating element but they want to check it out to make sure.

Service went fine and I had them put some black Quadratech lug nuts on when they did the rotation. Looks better than the chrome factory ones…..

The Gladiator hit 10,500 miles today. Silverado hit 20k a week ago.

The dealer had a 392 Wrangler Rubicon Recon in the showroom along with a Grand Wagoneer. The Rubi was sold ($83k) but the Wagoneer wasn’t. $113k sticker on the Wagoneer! That’s straight price, no fancy mark up. It had every option. It was nice but that’s Range Rover money.
So a TFL head-to-head competition between the Range Rover and the Wagoneer is needed to convince folks that either is worth the money...Come On TFL...gitter-on!

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
So a TFL head-to-head competition between the Range Rover and the Wagoneer is needed to convince folks that either is worth the money...Come On TFL...gitter-on!
You got that right youtube is the modern day peddler

Sponsored

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
So apparently there is a TSB about false codes from the DEF heaters. My dealer flashed the PCM with updated code and the CEL I was getting has gone away. He said Jeep is working on another update that will fix it permanently if it comes back.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
12k+ on the Glad now. The PCM flash seems to have fixed the CEL DEF heater false code. I also checked with my dealer yesterday about the Y81 recall. He said nothing popped up for my vin. Otherwise our Gladiator diesel just keeps on truckin! I still love it. I did pick up one of the eBay $75 hitch skids as we are going to the Badlands Jeep Adventure in May. Figured it wouldn’t hurt….

Silverado is at 22.5k. Zero issues other than that belt tensioner. I just cannot complain.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
12.8k on the Gladiator, 24k on the Silverado. Both just keep on cruising. Did some “jeep things” yesterday. Installed the Bestop Sunrider and drilled the hole in the eBay hitch skid plate for the Handy Flag. The Handy Flag is pretty slick. I think she’s ready for the Jeep Adventure next month!

Bg7AuVw.jpg

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
Jeep Adventure Academy was awesome! Gladiator has just shy of 14k on it now. Other than the CEL that a PCM flash fixed, still smooth sailing. Here’s a “beauty shot” from after playing in the rocks and mud at the Academy:

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator 3l turbo diesel and Silverado 3l turbo diesel.  I’ve got both so mini review. UPDATE! C60C30AC-2E44-459A-9669-8A0786F996CD

Per one of the Jeep “Trail Rated“ test drivers that was at the Academy, the diesel is his favorite Wrangler/Gladiator engine. Dude sure knew his stuff about driving in rocks. Also, the KO2’s rock!

Silverado is just shy of 26k. I did crack the windshield and it took a month to get a new one. Just got it swapped in two weeks ago. Other than the idler pulley it’s been rock solid. I REALLY want to put some better tires on it but those damn General HTS 60’s barely look used at all. Guess I’ll see if I can twist the GM’s arm this fall…..

ETA - going to switch back to the factory HA wheels and tires in the next week. Thinking real hard about picking up a Fox steering stabilizer. The stock one seems a little weak with the heavier KO2’s and it sounds like based on other’s comments that it’ll track better on the Highway all the way around.

OP
OP
IOS-XR

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CTO
Rolled 15k miles on the Gladiator a couple weeks ago. Did my last “free” oil change. I also started using Hot Shot EDT for both the Silverado and the Gladiator just as “insurance“ for the CP4 pump situation.

With the street tires back on I’m at 27+MPG again. Still loving the Gladiator!

The Silverado is about to roll 30k miles. Still running strong.
Sponsored