Sponsored

Gladiator 623 RTI score whoops Colorado and Tacoma (Ramp Travel Index test score)

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
Who says pick-up truck boyz iz ignant...

whoop
/(h)wo͞op/
noun
  1. a loud cry of joy or excitement.
    synonyms: shout, cry, call, yell, roar, scream, shriek, screech, hoot, hoop, cheer, hurrah;
verb
  1. give or make a whoop.
    "all at once they were whooping with laughter"
whup
/(h)wo͝op/
verb
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
  1. beat or assault (someone).
    "they would whup him and send him home"
  2. utterly defeat or dominate (an opponent or rival).
    "he promised that he would resign after his party got whupped in the elections
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
OP
OP
JTRUBI

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Some comparison between the JL Rubicon and a JT Rubicon. Also disconnected VS connected.

These numbers differ a bit from what TFLTrucks got but they are with in range. They advised me this is due to the fact ramps could be different as well as tire pressure.

847F0359-DA3E-4F63-A7C6-340DC3CCFF9B.png

FD9EE290-B7B7-4F13-9A84-211385456D14.png

CD6046FA-E072-4E57-9839-F3814E6914CD.png

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
i'm confused. How does the JKS disconnect provide even more articulation? Isn't a disconnected swaybar the same as another disconnected swaybar?

EDIT: I guess i should watch the video you posted, lmao. I thought it was just a comparison of the Rubicon with other trucks on the RTI scale thing.
Yeah, pretty interesting how Rubi sway bar disconnects near the middle. Both sides can move independently, but stay in relatively close proximity to reconnect with a push of a button. Articulation is much better than when both sides of the sway bar lock together.

Manually disconnecting the ends of the sway bar via something like the JKS quicker disconnects allows full articulation, completely independent of the solid sway bar between the links.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yeah, pretty interesting how Rubi sway bar disconnects near the middle. Both sides can move independently, but stay in relatively close proximity to reconnect with a push of a button. Articulation is much better than when both sides of the sway bar lock together.

Manually disconnecting the ends of the sway bar via something like the JKS quicker disconnects allows full articulation, completely independent of the solid sway bar between the links.
For a hard core offroad guy I could see the extra bit of travel helping, but i'm cool with push button disconnect.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Saw these pictures online of the Gladiator on an RTI ramp.

TFL confirms that the Gladiator Rubicon's RTI score is 623 (when the front sway bar is disconnected on the Rubicon). Compared to the competitor's RTI scores:

Gladiator Rubicon: 623
TRD Pro: 492
Colorado ZR2: 489
TRD Off-Road: 468
Colorado Z71: 410

Significant of RTI score:

The term RTI stands for Ramp Travel Index. Ramp Travel index is a measurement of a vehicles suspension, frame and tire compression and the resulting flexibility of all components of the vehicle to achieve a score. This standardized test uses a ramp to find the extreme flex point of the vehicle.

The RTI test is a good indicator of how well a vehicle will do in many situations offroad while traveling over an obstacle. Ideally a vehicle will do better if it is able to keep all wheels on the ground for maximum traction. If a vehicle's suspension is too stiff (less flex), it generally will lift a wheel or possibly two wheels while attempting to get over an object resulting in a loss of contact and traction at those lifted wheels. Loss of traction is especially apparent with vehicles equipped with open differentials. In situations requiring a lot of flex locking differentials and some limited slip differentials will help maintain momentum with the opposite wheel of the axle (front or rear), however good flexibility results in more wheels on the ground, better traction and better stability of the vehicle as the suspension conforms to the terrain.

2020 Jeep Gladiator RTI Score 623.png
619140C1-801B-4141-B913-B6D7AFAF5608.png
B8D74441-C2DB-484A-8045-6FBA7D809203.png
395DF0D4-068C-45F6-8819-43E0B31F8CAF.png
They're all looking like male dogs who just found their favorite tree ! :)
I asked the question in regard to the Glad. Sport S NOT in a Comparison Test to the "competition," but because I am only interested in the Sport S version . Why ? Well, because I personally don't ever see the need for owning a Rubicon version along with the added cost of and the added complexity of and added cost of repairs when things go wrong . . . etcetera ! TFL are you listening ? SO, will someone with the Ramp(s) and a Sport S (not modified) show us the Difference between -- just JEEPS; the Sport S vs. the Rubicon with the sway disconnected ! ? (both stock) I'll be able to put 2 & 2 together and make a few ASSumptions in regard to a GLAD Sport S and GLAD. Rubi. ! THANKS.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would be curious of that also however since you are putting it up against the top off-road levels from the competitors, why should you not bring your top level rig?
I just want to compare apples to apples - STOCK JL or JT Sport S vs. Rubicon ! I plan on buying one of these as a Sport S . Since we now have a curiosity for "big #'s" I was hoping we could get the "#" for a stock Sport S too . IF the Sport S is shamefully "inadequate" compared to a Rubicon . . . well . . . I might reconsider it, despite the added cost and potential for added issues that come with the added parts-complexity (sway bars n such!) . SEE ? I have ZERO interest in ANY other Manufacturers Wannabe !

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Who says pick-up truck boyz iz ignant...

whoop
/(h)wo͞op/
noun
  1. a loud cry of joy or excitement.
    synonyms: shout, cry, call, yell, roar, scream, shriek, screech, hoot, hoop, cheer, hurrah;
verb
  1. give or make a whoop.
    "all at once they were whooping with laughter"
whup
/(h)wo͝op/
verb
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
  1. beat or assault (someone).
    "they would whup him and send him home"
  2. utterly defeat or dominate (an opponent or rival).
    "he promised that he would resign after his party got whupped in the elections
I ditto! I mean you concur! I mean... What do we have here???

1-Cool-Hand-Luke-quotes.gif

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
and be better than a trd off road? ok
I mean, to the consumer, dollar to dollar comparisons are more meaningful than how many trim levels might exist above or below a particular model. Yes, the Gladiator Sport will likely match or exceed the TRD Offroad (depending on conditions) and will be easier to set up with bigger tires, etc, but to get power locks/windows and a roof will be another $4grand. Of course actual selling prices will vary.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The top level rig isn't needed. I would be curious what a Sport S would score with sway bar disconnected via something like the JKS links. It should give even more articulation than the Rubi disconnect system.
News Flash . . . ONLY the RUBICON comes standard with front disconnecting sway bar ! Sport S, NO ! Which is why I'd like to just see how well it does in Articulation in comparison to NOTHING !

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The good old days

jeepclub-belgium-website1.jpg
Yea, let's go Back Their . . . back to when things were GREAT (again!) ? That is one sweet jeep though . bet it was a pain in the arse (back in the day) to steer - what no power steering ? :LOL: ;)
ps; noticed your NEW "older" VINTAGE Gladiator buy . . . Congratulations & I hope you don't become a stranger here ! It's always "fun" getting lambasted by such a sweet old fart such as you (and I) . As we say in the Navy, "Fare winds and Following Seas" - and Fix'er up before you "set sail" on the highways & byways ! :like:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I do believe I just got edumacated ! ? I'm not a "wrench turner" so this was informative . . . got a homegrown video to share ?

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
I do believe I just got edumacated ! ? I'm not a "wrench turner" so this was informative . . . got a homegrown video to share ?
No homegrown video, but some that are searched up. This first one shows a Jeep at full articulation (only limiting factor is the suspension). The white/silver piece just in front of the spring is the sway bar link. The bottom of it is disconnected from the axle. If it were still connected to the axle, that link, connected to the sway bar would limit wheel travel before full droop of the suspension.

In a Rubicon, the sway bar itself is made of 2 pieces. There is an electronic mechanism where those 2 pieces join that locks them together for on-road stability, but unlocks them when greater articulation is needed. As a wheel droops, that half of the sway bar can now rotate at its kinda-centered pivot point while the other side of the sway bar can rotate the other direction to allow the wheel to do its own thing. With this system, articulation hits its limit when a sway bar arm is in direct line with its link...a limitation that doesn't exist when the link is completely removed.

Rubi unlinking mechanism:

Sample of articulation limited via sway bar & links:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Absolutely here! And true, Cindy has no power steering lol. Get this, radios were an option and she didn't get one. A beauty!
Funny you mentioning the "no radio" - another memory jogger, thanks ! My very 1st, and New off the lot, Sporty Car came that way & it wasn't even an option either - which I thought very odd, seeing as how its "sister" did ! I'm talking about, what are now FCA-Company Vehicles, FIAT's 1971 850 series, the Sport Coupe (hard top) & the Sport Convertible (ragtop) !
I had the Coupe, because it was ~$800 LESS, and I was super anxious to "get on the road to gettin' laid" ! Seems like it took me forever to save up that CASH (purchase) @ ~ $2.40hr. wages ! I actually started out at 16 for Nathan's Famous (hot dogs) @ a mere $0.90hr. (1967), 1st Summer job. It wasn't till jr. college (20) that I made the +$2hr. for a heating/plumbing/electrical store. Good Times ! what a power house motor - 903cc's, but was tons of fun to drive AND the mpg's were outta-space high ! highways & interstates - easily 40mpg+ ! All this "tech-shit," bigger engines and added weight have dragged mpg's so low ! :facepalm: . . . ;)
Sponsored