Gladiator Bike Rack?

ohiobrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Just curious if anyone has scoped out a nice bike rack for the Gladiator? I definitely plan on getting one when my Gladiator arrives in several weeks.
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I bought a Rocky Mounts Backstage to use with our JK and my pick up before I bought the Gladiator
https://rockymounts.com/products/backstage-swing-away-platform-hitch-rack

Although I didn't pay that for it, some HARD shopping and a coupon had it delivered under $400 and it is absolutely worth every penny. The ability to swing away is irreplaceable if you want to maintain access to the rear of the truck without dismounting the rack or bike(s). I did have to use an extension on the JK to clear the spare tire which is unnecessary on the Gladiator or my truck.

Highly recommended if it is in your budget.
0126191120_HDR.jpg

No pics on the JK, but this is it on the truck. It tilts down and also swings completely around to the side of the truck. If you parallel park curb side, you can swing the bikes over to the side away from the street for safety and also have access to the bed.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I have a Yakima roof rack on the ST and wanted something simple, functional, and easy to remove for the Gladiator. So I made one. Well, my dad and I made one. PVC pipe, fits under the tonneau cover, and wrapped in Pipe Insulation. Strapped it in and then toss in the bikes, strap them down, good to go. A little slower than something like I have on the car, but worth it.

20190714_154323.jpg

20190714_154604.jpg

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just bought the Kuat NV 2.0 Base. Works great..tailgate will open fully with the rack down & empty, and will tilt back enough to open the tailgate. I can even open it with the rack on & up (empty)...it's open 1/3 open. It doesn't move at all and works great...I just took it on the interstate and driving 65-70 without issue. It's expensive, but worth it!

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
My handiwork with my bike racks. It were fun to create.

Hey @WXman further to your and my above posts I hardly ever see anyone with trailer lights hooked up to a bike rack that is plugged into their hitch plug. However I don’t want to have someone rear end me and then try to sue me saying it was my fault since they could not see my brake lights through wheels of the bikes on my rack. So I custom made some brackets, bought 4 small LED lights and now I have full night time running lights, turn signal and brake lights on my bike rack. Call me silly to do this or call me smart to do this. And besides I like to play around with my tools. Wires are all hidden and out of sight. It was fun to do. We live in such a litigious society.
I have actually done this on 2 different bike racks. Walmart had a 3 bike rack that they were discontinuing, had a small hole in the box so they had it marked down to just $48.00 (no kidding). It had all of the parts in the box. And for many years I have also had a single bike rack that was made and sold by Jeep, their Overlander rack. So I did this light and bracket set up for both racks. As you will see on the Overlander rack the wire plug comes out of the framework just where it plugs into my hitch, wires completely hidden and out of sight. I love the Overlander rack. I can have the rack opened up and the bike put on the rack and then closed up and secured for transport in all of about 15 seconds. But for that rack I had to tear the entire rack apart and put an aluminum beam underneath it so I could make the entire rack about 6 inch longer. Had to do that due to the fact that my Specialized Roll bike is a tad longer than most bikes. Was again another fun project.
18D0844B-F703-4137-B2CB-1159130D9F7B.jpeg
A6CE8B6B-0615-4A7C-9BAF-8E2BCB1EC417.jpeg
B692E978-50EA-4261-B5F3-5DEA7F2297F7.jpeg
438172F4-EC5F-49CE-AF51-2C1200D48C27.jpeg

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I have a Yakima roof rack on the ST and wanted something simple, functional, and easy to remove for the Gladiator. So I made one. Well, my dad and I made one. PVC pipe, fits under the tonneau cover, and wrapped in Pipe Insulation. Strapped it in and then toss in the bikes, strap them down, good to go. A little slower than something like I have on the car, but worth it.

20190714_154323.jpg

20190714_154604.jpg
Definitely like this option. How are you strapping it and the bikes in?

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Definitely like this option. How are you strapping it and the bikes in?
I bought some straps at Lowe's and connect the rack to the lower tie downs in the bed.

Then use ratchet straps on the bikes. I didn't love the process the first time, so I will continue to tweak it. The rack isn't going anywhere, I just need to refine how I strap the bikes in. I prefer to use the ratchet straps because I'll use them for the Groms, but finding the right tie down locations and position on the bicycles needs work. They definitely weren't moving, I just want it to be but cleaner.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I'm guessing then, looking at the tonneau cover, the crossbar system won't work? though I'm not sure how the mounts attach to the rail system. for me, that would be ideal.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
I just bought the Kuat NV 2.0 Base. Works great..tailgate will open fully with the rack down & empty, and will tilt back enough to open the tailgate. I can even open it with the rack on & up (empty)...it's open 1/3 open. It doesn't move at all and works great...I just took it on the interstate and driving 65-70 without issue. It's expensive, but worth it!
2nd on the Kuat NV 2.0. I've had lots of hitch mount racks over the years and this is the best I've ever owned. I have the NV2.0 + add on so can haul 4 bikes. I usually remove the add on unless I need 4 bikes just due to length. With the standard 2" receiver mount, I can move it to any of our vehicles as needed.

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
I'm guessing then, looking at the tonneau cover, the crossbar system won't work? though I'm not sure how the mounts attach to the rail system. for me, that would be ideal.
I put photos and install instructions for the factory crossbars that fit in the trail rail system in this thread:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mopar-bed-rails-now-available.17833/

Most generic crossbar bike mounts (Yakima/Thule) should work with the cross bars. Can't use the tonneau cover with the crossbars.

thefriar

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Launch edition JT
I have a north shore racks 4 bike set up and a Thule Pro T2... both work well and the drop down options allow easy access to bed.

That said I’m thinking of doing a diamondback rack and putting Thule Aerobars with side arm racks from another vehicle... key here that I can tow without losing the bed space for camping / overlanding.

Giovanni516

First Name
Giovanni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport

20190714_154323.jpg

20190714_154604.jpg
That looks great!! I might have to take this into consideration and make 1 myself. Definitely looks time consuming. What size pvc did u use?

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut

20190714_154323.jpg

20190714_154604.jpg
Are you able to close the tailgate with your setup (with the bikes in the bed)?

Giovanni516

First Name
Giovanni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport
Are you able to close the tailgate with your setup (with the bikes in the bed)?
I have a bunch of 1-1/4” PVC and fittings. Few more dollars and I can complete that exact 1. Looks like a great compact set up. Just a matter of taking All the right measurements and putting It together at this point.
Sponsored