Sponsored

Gladiator Chief Engineer talks Wrangler vs Gladiator Rubicon and Mojave

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
What about half doors? Why didn’t they ask about half doors? Come on. Too much talk about the engine. Half doors was such a critical part of the Jeep history and lifestyle, and now it’s completely gone and not a word about it. What gives?

Rendering of what it could look like:

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Chief Engineer talks Wrangler vs Gladiator Rubicon and Mojave 5572D9B4-29B7-4413-A4BB-B78073E50E15

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Wish I could watch, however I'm getting

Video unavailable
This video is restricted. Try signing in with a G Suite account.

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
He says a lot of the towing is from cooling and chasis. The rear suspension essentially being the same as the Ram1500

Why is this video not getting any traction? So much great information here. My college buddy is an engineer for Ford and I totally miss our dinner conversations during covid!

Sponsored

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
Two thumbs up for this video! It really explains the differences between the Rubicon and Mojave and delves into just how beefy the Mojave is, kinda of a hybrid between the Wrangler and Ram 1500.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
  • The Mojave was designed around speed desert running (thus the desert rated badge) similar to the marketing around the Ford Raptor. Some of the general differences are:
  • Multiple Frame Reinforcements
  • Fox 2.5 Internal Bypass Shocks with Remote Reservoirs
  • Fox Hydraulic Front Bump Stops
  • Factory-Tuned Custom Performance Springs
  • Cast Steel Knuckles
  • Raised Steel Hood
  • Rear Locker, 2.72 T-Case
  • Performance Steering Wheel, Extra Bolstered Seats w/Orange Stitching, Gunmetal Textured Dash, etc.

Nevada_Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Hi everyone

I am deciding between the Mohave and Rubicon. My favorite jeep I owned was a 2005 2 door unlimited wrangler (the longer one). Sadly it was stolen. I had it trekked out for camping it was awesome. I briefly had a 2016 sport with a great build but just wasn't the same. I call it my rebound jeep. Sold it.

I never had any trouble getting to where I wanted to go in either one. I use my jeep for rockhounding and camping mostly and its my daily.

Decision points between Rubi and Mohave:
1. The steering issue on Rubi not sure if the Mohave has it (issue is the aluminum gear box on those built before sep2020) how big a deal is it to get the cast iron replacement and does it drive good after its fixed

2. Will the Mohave (I know the Rubi will be much better) rock crawl as good as my 2005 unlimited (only mod i had was a 2 inch lift) I am not in the game to rock crawl per say however when I camp and rockhound sometimes it gets a little hairy

3. The god awful red trim on the Rubi (I know its just color but not a fan)

4. Last fly in the ointment I do have a bronco reservation but I really think the gladiator will serve me much better for the camping and I love the jeep wave

Any thoughts at would be greatly appreciated!

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Hi everyone

I am deciding between the Mohave and Rubicon. My favorite jeep I owned was a 2005 2 door unlimited wrangler (the longer one). Sadly it was stolen. I had it trekked out for camping it was awesome. I briefly had a 2016 sport with a great build but just wasn't the same. I call it my rebound jeep. Sold it.

I never had any trouble getting to where I wanted to go in either one. I use my jeep for rockhounding and camping mostly and its my daily.

Decision points between Rubi and Mohave:
1. The steering issue on Rubi not sure if the Mohave has it (issue is the aluminum gear box on those built before sep2020) how big a deal is it to get the cast iron replacement and does it drive good after its fixed

2. Will the Mohave (I know the Rubi will be much better) rock crawl as good as my 2005 unlimited (only mod i had was a 2 inch lift) I am not in the game to rock crawl per say however when I camp and rockhound sometimes it gets a little hairy

3. The god awful red trim on the Rubi (I know its just color but not a fan)

4. Last fly in the ointment I do have a bronco reservation but I really think the gladiator will serve me much better for the camping and I love the jeep wave

Any thoughts at would be greatly appreciated!
1) As far as i know all the new gladiators have been shipping with the new box, and it wasnt a Rubicon only issue it was across the model range. I had mine swapped out a few weeks ago and it was a massive improvement

2) The departure angle of the gladiator is the biggest issue for crawling. The Mojave only has the issues of no front locker, and not much in the way of aftermarket suspension choices. Frankly the mojave is what you buy to leave stock.

3) on my rubi i selected the tan leather seats specifically because i hated the red dash, and that replaces it with a much better tan/grey metallic dash

4) I think the bronco will be a cool vehicle, but i guess the question is do you want something with a bed or not? Also SFA vs IFS is an issue for some (you mentioned playing on the rocks) I have seen some videos of the Bronco wheeling, and frankly the front flex was not very impressive even for an IFS vehicle. One issue is with the stock 35s look at the fender clearance the bronco has, not much room for uptravel, so frankly its kind of mall-crawler style over function.

There is my .02

Nevada_Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
1) As far as i know all the new gladiators have been shipping with the new box, and it wasnt a Rubicon only issue it was across the model range. I had mine swapped out a few weeks ago and it was a massive improvement

2) The departure angle of the gladiator is the biggest issue for crawling. The Mojave only has the issues of no front locker, and not much in the way of aftermarket suspension choices. Frankly the mojave is what you buy to leave stock.

3) on my rubi i selected the tan leather seats specifically because i hated the red dash, and that replaces it with a much better tan/grey metallic dash

4) I think the bronco will be a cool vehicle, but i guess the question is do you want something with a bed or not? Also SFA vs IFS is an issue for some (you mentioned playing on the rocks) I have seen some videos of the Bronco wheeling, and frankly the front flex was not very impressive even for an IFS vehicle. One issue is with the stock 35s look at the fender clearance the bronco has, not much room for uptravel, so frankly its kind of mall-crawler style over function.

There is my .02
First thanks so much for your reply.

My fav colors is orange or gobi and I know that means 2020 only. I live in Vegas so leather is out for me as it gets so hot here. I am leaning heavy toward a gobi gladiator..found a couple with cloth seats in az. They said if i buy he new cast iron part they will install it. Sound reasonable to you? I have heard its hard to get that part though. Again many thanks

Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
First thanks so much for your reply.

My fav colors is orange or gobi and I know that means 2020 only. I live in Vegas so leather is out for me as it gets so hot here. I am leaning heavy toward a gobi gladiator..found a couple with cloth seats in az. They said if i buy he new cast iron part they will install it. Sound reasonable to you? I have heard its hard to get that part though. Again many thanks
The steering issue is covered under a TSB, so they should install it free of charge (if its still under warrantee) If its a new one (or used still under warrantee) on the lot with the old box then i would make that a condition of sale. There is a month or two wait for that part currently.

Nevada_Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
The steering issue is covered under a TSB, so they should install it free of charge (if its still under warrantee) If its a new one (or used still under warrantee) on the lot with the old box then i would make that a condition of sale. There is a month or two wait for that part currently.
Most of the dealers i have spoke to claim to know nothing about the issue. Just the one said they would install in free. How can they not know? Anyway thanks for the info!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
ALL NEW GLADIATORS BUILT SINCE SOMETIME on the date of AUGUST 14th, 2020, WILL HAVE THE NEW STEERING GEAR. That means even late August builds will have the revised steering gear.

Maybe that will remove some doubt LOL.
Seriously, it's been covered in several spots and JeepCares even VERIFIED it. It's a fact - ALL 2021 and any JT since sometime on August 14th will have the new steering gear.
I say "sometime on" because it actually depends on the hour of build. The change-over happened on the 14th.
It was an issue on ALL GLADIATORS.
It's not a Rubicon thing, or an Overland thing, or a Sport thing - it's a GLADIATOR thing (and a Wrangler thing, too - if you saw the actual TSB)

Attached is the latest version of the TSB on the steering gear if someone missed it in those other threads on steering.

Attachments

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the dealers i have spoke to claim to know nothing about the issue. Just the one said they would install in free. How can they not know? Anyway thanks for the info!
They can not know because no one has gone in and talked to them about steering issues - fools simply accepted that lame excuse "it's a Jeep thing" and believed it.
If no one speaks up, they'll not know. The dealer I use for service/warranty work had never seen or dealt with the trailer brake controller, either - why? No one had asked about it.

They only look up TSBs to use as a tool to resolve issues they aren't aware of how to resolve or aren't resolved by their typical means. So if no one complained, or they never bothered looking.............

>> They said if i buy he new cast iron part they will install it. Sound reasonable to you? <<

No, that's bull. It's covered under warranty.
Check out the TSB - if you complain of an issue, they have permission to fix it under warranty with this method - the new steering gear.

Nevada_Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
They can not know because no one has gone in and talked to them about steering issues - fools simply accepted that lame excuse "it's a Jeep thing" and believed it.
If no one speaks up, they'll not know. The dealer I use for service/warranty work had never seen or dealt with the trailer brake controller, either - why? No one had asked about it.

They only look up TSBs to use as a tool to resolve issues they aren't aware of how to resolve or aren't resolved by their typical means. So if no one complained, or they never bothered looking.............

>> They said if i buy he new cast iron part they will install it. Sound reasonable to you? <<

No, that's bull. It's covered under warranty.
Check out the TSB - if you complain of an issue, they have permission to fix it under warranty with this method - the new steering gear.
Ok, thanks so much. You have provided me with a great tool for the negotiation process. I truly appreciate your help.

I have another question (last one for now I promise) IF you have time, if not THANKS for all the input already.

I am trying HARD to dodge the rubi red dash...I see that the 80th edition, willie and the high altitude trims do not have that red dash BUT what do I loose getting one of those trims? I want to get as close the rubi off-road capabilities as I can and am inclined to believe I may have to suffer through the red. I am going through the window stickers of some jeeps online trying to determine what I loose not getting the rubi and I am having a hard time trying to figure it out, Thanks again
Sponsored