Sponsored

Gladiator Deer Hoist: Calling all engineers

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm going hunting in the U.P. in 17 days, due to the Coronavirus, i may be hunting by myself. If I shoot a decent deer I want to be able to hoist it onto my tailgate. Then I can shove it into the bed of the truck.

I'm going to mount a 2.5" square tube to the underside of my Alu-Cab topper and slide a 2" square tube inside of this one. I'll mount a hand winch below the 2.5" tube to crank a steel rope that goes through a single pulley at the end of the cantilevered 2" square tube. I'm thinking of putting a gambrel through both the front and hind legs and hook to those. once the deer is hoisted vertically as much as possible, I'll pull the pin from the 2" and 2.5" tubes, keep cranking and that will pull the 2" tube into the 2.5" tube, and the deer will come towards the topper, and over the tailgate, unwind the winch, deer sits on tailgate.

I was thinking of using 3/16" wall A500 steel tube.

I have no idea if this wall thickness is overkill.

How far out from the 2.5" tube can I extend the 2" tube to lift a 300lb object?

My end result should look something like this, but with the inner tube extending out 22-48". Is 48" going to bend the 2" square or put so much stress on the mounting rails of my Alu-Cab roof that it'll break something? lol

Don't worry about the crank, I'll use a drill to wind/unwind the winch. so I don't worry about the handle hitting the ceiling.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Deer Hoist:  Calling all engineers 1603939426797
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Couldnā€™t you just hoist it up under a tree then back under it to load?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Couldnā€™t you just hoist it up under a tree then back under it to load?
Perhaps. might have to drag it several hundred yards to do that though.

I like the challenge of building stuff and there are a few times I need to hoist heavy stuff into the truck, like motors, generator, ect.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Perhaps. might have to drag it several hundred yards to do that though.

I like the challenge of building stuff and there are a few times I need to hoist heavy stuff into the truck, like motors, generator, ect.
LOL! Around here we have to drag it that far just to get it OUT of the trees!

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I am not an engineer, nor do I hunt, but I am definitely going to monitor this thread for results - and for the OP, we NEEED PICs should your hunt prove meatful (not fruitful). :rock:

Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
@steffen707 Not so sure I would be on board with this idea. I think you are asking to much of the cap and setting up to really F it up. Applying 300 lbs to a lever and loading the cap in a manner it was never intended to handle is asking for trouble.
I'd look at one of the receiver mounted hoists. They fold up compact. A leg out to the side and to the ground gets the hoist beyond the open tailgate and you can load right into the bed.
Just an example:
https://smile.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7...2686&sprefix=Receiver+mounted+,aps,195&sr=8-2
There are many varieties out there to pick from or copy the idea.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not an engineer, nor do I hunt, but I am definitely going to monitor this thread for results - and for the OP, we NEEED PICs should your hunt prove meatful (not fruitful). :rock:
Will do. I'm buying the steel Saturday, hopefully welding it sunday and mounting it. I'm basically going to have it all setup except for the hole through the 2 tubes and if I can't get an engineer to tell me if 48" is too long of a cantilever, then i'll do some tests. by adding more and more weight to it and simulate a 300 lb load.

my hitch extender is like 56" long and says it'll handle 575lbs and its only 1/8" wall thickness on a 2" tube, so i'm assuming it'll work, but my dad always says, "To assume makes an ass out of you and me." lol.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@steffen707 Not so sure I would be on board with this idea. I think you are asking to much of the cap and setting up to really F it up. Applying 300 lbs to a lever and loading the cap in a manner it was never intended to handle is asking for trouble.
I'd look at one of the receiver mounted hoists. They fold up compact. A leg out to the side and to the ground gets the hoist beyond the open tailgate and you can load right into the bed.
Just an example:
https://smile.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70238-Receiver-Hitch-Mounted/dp/B008CE0WCW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1SAV288Z4UC55&dchild=1&keywords=receiver+mounted+pickup+crane&qid=1603942686&sprefix=Receiver+mounted+,aps,195&sr=8-2
There are many varieties out there to pick from or copy the idea.
i was afraid you would say that. I've never seen a hitch hoist like that. That might be the way to go.......

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
There is another issue with your design. Boom extended and load lifted, you'll have a bear getting that loaded pin out. Then it gets exciting as the boom instantly telescopes and the load drops.
Not trying to rain on the party.....just my two cents and dang if those aren't mostly zinc!

toflo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
Come-along and some plywood would get it done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is another issue with your design. Boom extended and load lifted, you'll have a bear getting that loaded pin out. Then it gets exciting as the boom instantly telescopes and the load drops.
Not trying to rain on the party.....just my two cents and dang if those aren't mostly zinc!
Shit, thanks @Rokon , you got my back. Didn't think about the boom telescoping in and the load dropping.....

I wonder if the upper left corner of this lift/boom would hit the corner of the topper.....This type of tool is probably more versatile, less likely to break my topper, slightly more expensive and easier to deploy......FINE, i'll buy something like this. If that upper left corner does hit the topper, I can replace the tube that goes into the hitch with a longer one. It might be a game of far enough away it doesn't hit the topper, but not too far away that i cant get the load over the tailgate. probably shouldn't be a problem. I just haven't seen a photo of one of these with a topper yet.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Deer Hoist:  Calling all engineers 1603945577832

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Come-along and some plywood would get it done.
And this might be the best idea yet, afterall my license plate is "plywood"

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Canā€™t you assemble a couple of A frames and a cross beam with the hoist on that to lift the beast onto your tailgate?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you was in my local I could rig you up. Fairly easy with a lift rigging. Being I've built something about right for what you want. One stick of 2 in 3/16 wall square tubing, a few ft of 2.25 sq. Tubing. Damn I'm still pissed about my trailer getting ripped off. I use 1/4 wall tubing and built stuff in "Rockhard fashion overbuilt n heavy.
### Back on track you might find the hitch extension for ladder or what ever could be repurposed that way.
:giggle: FYI Rockhard you guys make the best HD stuff IMHO.
Rokon that's about like one I built but swing arm and pulleys n come along. :like: moving engines, transmissions.
Sponsored