Gladiator in snow - disappointment?

levesqueonline

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
So let me begin by saying I have a crap driveway, its not huge but its a hairpin turn and up maybe 3-400 feet of include. I have lived here with my ram 1500 sport for 5 years and never once did i think, man i wish i had a jeep so i could get up this driveway, it rocked it like a champ.

We just had a snowstorm, maybe a foot, cleaned it up with tractor, then we had another 4-6 inches of hail. i cleaned that up as well as could be with my tractor as well which is just a small sub compact. By god my jeep almost got stuck and felt like it was lugging its way into the ground trying to go up in 4 high. I am fairly confident my ram would have had no issues.

am I doing something wrong? as I am fairly discouraged right now, I am going to try to manually turn off tractor control next time to see if it helps.
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
What tires are on it?

if itā€™s the mud terrains- especially yhe bfgā€™s, thats your answer.

toss 200lb of sand bags in the bed, load the brake with your left foot and modulate the right foot slowly. And switch to snow flake ATā€™s.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I cant wait until we get all the Michael Schumakerā€˜s and Rhys Millenā€™s here talking about how they disable TC and ABS in the winter time because they, quote, ā€œknow how to driveā€ and quote ā€œbeen doing this a long timeā€

the suspects:
- cars didnt have it when i learned how to drive, so i dont need that black magic shit and the laws of physics dont exist

- im such a good driver from all the fucking around I did in the desert/snow/trail, i know what a car is going to do and how to defy the laws of physics

- you have to know what to do if tc/abs fail, so just turn it off all the time and pray the laws of physics dont proper fuck you

- just because you have 200+ hrs of pro driver training from baja 500 winners, formula 1 drivers, Nurburgring circuit racers and testers, and a formula 4 racing license doesnt mean shit, my dad and the highschool parking lot taught me what i need to know

this thread is gonna get GOOD. Grab a beer. I promise in just a few pages youā€™ll see all those things.

Last edited:

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
What tires are on it?

if itā€™s the mud terrains- especially yhe bfgā€™s, thats your answer.

toss 200lb of sand bags in the bed, load the brake with your left foot and modulate the right foot slowly. And switch to snow flake ATā€™s.
Interesting, I always thought MTs would give you more traction than ATs in snow, but it looks like the BFG MTs aren't severe snow service rated.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Interesting, I always thought MTs would give you more traction than ATs in snow, but it looks like the BFG MTs aren't severe snow service rated.
yeah, on PAVEMENT a siped 3peak AT is way better than a MT For sure. The falken MTā€™s i had stock were siped and werent bad for a Mt by anymeans, but the fallen at3w im on now is way better.

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have the Firestone MT, and they go great in deep snow, if you disable traction control!

I like the traction control at highway speeds, but if you want to plow through snow, or mud
DISABLE it

Sponsored

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
"I cant wait until we get all the Michael Schumakerā€˜s and Rhys Millenā€™s here talking about how they disable TC and ABS in the winter time because they, quote, ā€œknow how to driveā€

Or you would know that in this situation, the traction control would kick on and really not allow you to move forward. You would be surprised at how many people have trouble snow wheeling for the first time thinking that their vehicle is just bogging down due to the snow but in reality, they just need to turn off the traction control. Same in the sand.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Leave the traction control on and try some weight in the bed.
The OP is describing that the engine is bogging down, a result of the traction control. Leave it on for the highway, in this case, turn if off and keep your forward momentum.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
"I cant wait until we get all the Michael Schumakerā€˜s and Rhys Millenā€™s here talking about how they disable TC and ABS in the winter time because they, quote, ā€œknow how to driveā€

Or you would know that in this situation, the traction control would kick on and really not allow you to move forward. You would be surprised at how many people have trouble snow wheeling for the first time thinking that their vehicle is just bogging down due to the snow but in reality, they just need to turn off the traction control. Same in the sand.
A light touch on the throttle works wonders, too.

Kevin

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
now weā€™re talking. Suspect #4 usually isnt the first one to show up in a thread, but hey,

and why would the traction control do that?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
and why would the traction control do that?
Because he's trying to go faster, and all that's happening is the tires are trying to spin, and the traction control is modulating the throttle.

Kevin
Sponsored