Sponsored

Gladiator long wheel base, no problem!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I've recently watched several NITTO and EVO off roading youtube videos with guys wheeling a mix of JK, JL and JT and I must say there were several tough obstacles that the JLs struggled with and the JTs didn't. It looked like while the JL with shorter wheelbase didn't rub the rocks as much, the JT may have gotten more of the weight (front end) up over the obstacle and got more traction.

I guess my point being, after watching over 2 hours of modded JT's wheeling, there are times where JL is better, and times where JT is better. AND both are certainly capable of tackling some rough trail.
upload_2019-10-29_22-57-42.png

upload_2019-10-29_22-58-50.png
Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I wheel my JT on some pretty decent trails in the Uwharrie trail system and there are definitely times where the longer wheelbase is an asset. Making tight turns on trails between trees or rocks isn't one of them.

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Yea love those videos so far. They are running all my favorite trails. Making me feel better about wheeling this land yacht. Although it’s hard to tell when they all have 40s and tons on slippery rocks and wet leafs.
34C240AF-5203-49DE-B592-5007F9B7E0B6.png
16061D78-25AE-4D37-8B66-5B901B75AD6C.jpeg

What concerns me is the breakover of wayalifes JT on 40s on the second ledge is very close to my Old Tacoma on 33s (15” wheelbase difference). The photo is almost the same spot. I like keeping my trucks low with moderate sized tires for DD I really don’t want to go above 33s but I may have to. By the looks of it a 2” lift and 35s should be able to get around ok. I just want to see footage of the other gladiators on the second ledge on OFR starts 10:00 in wayalifes vid and only shows 2 attempts.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I wheel my JT on some pretty decent trails in the Uwharrie trail system and there are definitely times where the longer wheelbase is an asset. Making tight turns on trails between trees or rocks isn't one of them.
That's awesome to hear. Yeah tight turns it won't excel. For me it's awesome cuz I was never spoiled by a shorter wheelbase offroad vehicle. ;)

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
That's awesome to hear. Yeah tight turns it won't excel. For me it's awesome cuz I was never spoiled by a shorter wheelbase offroad vehicle. ;)
Yeah, I'm not sure I was ever spoiled by a short wheelbase. I've owned many and to be honest I would rather have a little more room between axles with everything else being equal. The Gladiator IS long, but I've wheeled everything from CJs to Waggys in the Jeep family and it's just my preference to have a little longer rig. The real issue for me with the JT is the horrid departure angle.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Uwharrie is on of the first trails I plan on hitting with mine. Are you running a stock Rubi there?

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Stock Sport S max tow with 315/70/17 tires on stock JK 17" wheels. If you go there stock, you're going to scrape the skid plates and rails/steps. Go ahead and make peace with it. I also took my JT to Gulches ORV park in SC. It did great there too but those factory skid plates got a workout.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Stock Sport S max tow with 315/70/17 tires on stock JK 17" wheels. If you go there stock, you're going to scrape the skid plates and rails/steps. Go ahead and make peace with it. I also took my JT to Gulches ORV park in SC. It did great there too but those factory skid plates got a workout.
Thanks that is good to hear. I am not concerned about scraping the plates, I never sell my vehicles luckily and don't want to worry about it staying showroom quality and never actually enjoy it with the kids.

Gulchs is somewhere else I am thinking about, my dad had fun there with his JKUR.

Do I need to worry about having a winch for either of these places? I plan on just doing a front hitch mount one so I don't need to get a new bumper and can take it off when not needed.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
If you're going to wheel alone (I don't recommend it) then absolutely you need a winch. I don't have one right now so I go with a group and put the JT between rigs that have one. So far I haven't NEEDED one but at least if I do screw up, take a bad line and turtle, there's some way of dragging me off of it.

Edited cause spellcheck don't catch everything.:facepalm:

Last edited:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
If you're going to wheel alone (I don't recommend it) then absolutely you need a wench. I don't have one right now so I go with a group and put the JT between rigs that have one. So far I haven't NEEDED one but at least if I do screw up, take a bad line and turtle, there's some way of dragging me off of it.
Right now I don't have a group to go with and my dad is the only person I know locally I would go with, he doesn't have one either. I was thinking the same thing that I really do need the insurance to make sure I don't get stuck somewhere. Especially since I think I will screw up at some point. This is my first car that has ever had 4 wheel drive, before this I have only owned mini-vans and very small sedans.

Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
WAY way back when I was much younger and dumber with much more stubbornness I used to go wheeling with a come-a-long and a log chain. It can be done but it's a lot more work that way. You're always welcome to go with me but I don't have any idea how often that would be. Go check out the Regional section of the forum. I know in the North Carolina thread in particular there are a bunch of guys that go quite regularly and I'm sure none of them would mind you tagging along.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
If you're going to wheel alone (I don't recommend it) then absolutely you need a wench. I don't have one right now so I go with a group
I plan to have a winch, so the wench doesn't have to hook stuff up in the mud!

:CWL::LOL::CWL::LOL::CWL: (Just having fun)

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Got me. Sometimes I get to typing and forget to proofread what makes it to the page.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
Got me. Sometimes I get to typing and forget to proofread what makes it to the page.
Ha! I am hoping to wheel with you folks some day. I am in northern SC - hoping to have a JT by Christmas!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
WAY way back when I was much younger and dumber with much more stubbornness I used to go wheeling with a come-a-long and a log chain. It can be done but it's a lot more work that way. You're always welcome to go with me but I don't have any idea how often that would be. Go check out the Regional section of the forum. I know in the North Carolina thread in particular there are a bunch of guys that go quite regularly and I'm sure none of them would mind you tagging along.
Thanks for the offer, I will be sure to check the local group as well. Maybe all of us can work something out. Me and Tri-Jab are probably right around the corner from each other. Hope you don't mind family rides though, my twin 8 year olds and 5 year old will be riding along as well.
Sponsored