Gladiator manual transmission crunch sound / noise when shifting

Funktasticlovin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Just got my new glad tranny. Fucking love it. Smooth ride. Better in MPG. Great with traffic. Idk if anyone else had this problem. But releasing the clutch on 1st. Crunch noise. And shifting from 1st gear to 2nd its make this crunch noise. ( not grinding)

Anyone else got this problem

Been driving manual 10+ years
Taken it to the dealer and they stated the crunch sound is normal. And it's just the way the car runs. Sounds like some bullshit to me.
Sponsored

Skyhawk1755

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500, Chevy Equinox , Honda VTX 1300, Stingray 180 RX
Occupation
General manager
Mine sounds different than I'm use to. What gets me is the clutch has no free play, its engaged or disengaged. No middle ground here.

DaytonOhioGladiator

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
No. That’s not normal. Mine is a manual and my buddy has a manual JL. That’s an issue.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
The problem with first gear is the engine's too quiet.

Get catback exhaust mod and you will enjoy the manual. More low-end torque and a bit more noise.

Sponsored

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I just rounded out 2500 miles and shifting from 1st to 2nd is a little shaky to get right...i found that 3k is the perfect RPM for shifting. Also the tranny gets much snappier and more response after 2k miles runs smoother everyday!

Hansoslow

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '01 "Danger" Ranger, '68 Fastback 390gt
I just rounded out 2500 miles and shifting from 1st to 2nd is a little shaky to get right...i found that 3k is the perfect RPM for shifting. Also the tranny gets much snappier and more response after 2k miles runs smoother everyday!
Second that, just clicked 2kmi, first-third likes 2.8k-3k shifts. Very little synchro action at that range, rev matches perfect and falls into the next gear.

rubi14

First Name
frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7 Laredo, 1982 CJ-7 "The Texan", 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
shop owner
could be driveshaft noise? Maybe check vin against recalled ones?

OP
OP

Funktasticlovin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

Theres a small sweet spot. To prevent the crunch noise. In my car at least shift up at 7-9 Mph
Is bullshit. I'm going to go test drive some other gladiators from diff dealerships and see if they l have it

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Just got my new glad tranny. Fucking love it. Smooth ride. Better in MPG. Great with traffic. Idk if anyone else had this problem. But releasing the clutch on 1st. Crunch noise. And shifting from 1st gear to 2nd its make this crunch noise. ( not grinding)

Anyone else got this problem

Been driving manual 10+ years
Taken it to the dealer and they stated the crunch sound is normal. And it's just the way the car runs. Sounds like some bullshit to me.
Yup I'm experiencing the exact same problem as you. I only have about 200 miles on my Gladiator. I hear that crunch noise when I press the clutch in to shift into 2nd, and then again to 3rd. I think it only happens when I shift 3k rpm or higher. I don't hear the crunch noise past 3rd gear. I'm not sure if this is normal with the Gladiator but I've driven about 4 or 5 manuals (all cars) and never experience this. I did notice the Gladiator requires a little bit more finesse to drive perfectly smooth. It's just odd to me that I only hear this crunch noise during 1st to 2nd and to 3rd.

Sponsored

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway to record the sound? I'm not hearing any sound nor do I remember hearing one. I have 2700 miles on now

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyway to record the sound? I'm not hearing any sound nor do I remember hearing one. I have 2700 miles on now
I'm not sure if my phone will pick up the sound. You can't hear it if you have the radio or music turned on. But it's definitely a noticeable sound if the cabin is quite.

Will_H

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have the same thing! I will say it seems to be getting better. I have 600 miles on mine...the shifting honestly seems to be getting smoother every day. Driven manuals for years, so I don’t think I’m getting that much of a better manual driver in two weeks. I’m not really a gear head at all, so take this speculation with a grain of salt...but I suspect the tolerances from the factory are so tight that there is a break in period for new MTs. Definitely curious about what other people continue to experience with this issue as well...

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
16500mi on mine and same crunch sound shifting 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. Thought it would go away but def doesn’t seem right.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16500mi on mine and same crunch sound shifting 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. Thought it would go away but def doesn’t seem right.
I mentioned in previous post that I had this issue. Turned out it was user error on my part and getting to know this clutch. It was all about the timing for me. But seems like you had enough time with your truck so not sure if it's the same issue
Sponsored