Gladiator Max Tow vs Non Max tow option rip out

Tim. Y.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys Diesel
This was a Video from a company called Exodus 4x4 out of Texas. It's a bit old, but I still recommend you watch it from 1:30 to 3:31.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Ahh that’s what it was. I knew there was something special about the ‘20
Including misfires and water dipping into the cabin from the rain gutter.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I guess just to throw ya in a tail spin of confusion, if sticking with the Dana 44 axles , and want the wide axles ….wait for it……..

What about the lower geared Rubicon transfer case ! Oh boy , here we go now!….Jack

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I guess just to throw ya in a tail spin of confusion, if sticking with the Dana 44 axles , and want the wide axles ….wait for it……..

What about the lower geared Rubicon transfer case ! Oh boy , here we go now!….Jack
can pick it up second hand from a totaled wrangler or something for 800 bucks, if your patient. If an axle swap is in the books, a T case is chump change at that point. at least thats what i'd do. I could buy that 4:1 with the money i saved from not getting a rubicon. Plus your throwing less money away when you take shit off. imagine paying top dollar for locker WT D44s and you get all but a few thousand out of em before you sell em on FBM for a pennys on the dollar.

Sponsored

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
This is probably been ask but, here we go. I "believe" I understand the differences between max tow and non max tow, but I know I could be missing something??? But if buying a gladiator that your going to rip out all the suspension, control arms, springs, and change front/rear gearing out anyways, is it worth buying the max tow? Is max tow really only 1 inch wider? Is that really worth it? Im looking at the Rebel Offroad Front coilover kit with rear spring kit with king coilovers up front and king shocks in the back with teraflex long arm kit. So is just going with a non max tow going to be okay, or should I still get a max tow? Is there some extra strength that comes with the max tow? Thank you for all your help....
More current Max tows will have an additional shock on top of the rear pumpkin, the extra .75 to .10 ( unsure of the exact amount)can be found on max tow,rubicon& Mojave. With New rims which will more than likely run a -offset they will stick out a fair amount anyhow. On my Rubicon when I lifted it and changed the lower control arms and springs etc.. I went with a -12 offset I got like 2.5-3 inches of sticky outty . 4.10 axles HD Dana 44 front and back M210 & M220 with that extra shock would especially be a nice thing to have .
Honestly after lifting mine 2.5 With the Falcon shocks I was like why didn't this thing come like this .?
Hope this helps.

GI Grandpa

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
US Army Retired, BOD Memmber of CO4WDA, COHVCO and CORE, Volunteer with Stay the Trail and Tread Lightly
I recall reading that that the rear axle in the 2024's is now a full float, they had one on display at EJS...so if you're buying new that is one upside ?

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
More current Max tows will have an additional shock on top of the rear pumpkin, the extra .75 to .10 ( unsure of the exact amount)can be found on max tow,rubicon& Mojave. With New rims which will more than likely run a -offset they will stick out a fair amount anyhow. On my Rubicon when I lifted it and changed the lower control arms and springs etc.. I went with a -12 offset I got like 2.5-3 inches of sticky outty . 4.10 axles HD Dana 44 front and back M210 & M220 with that extra shock would especially be a nice thing to have .
Honestly after lifting mine 2.5 With the Falcon shocks I was like why didn't this thing come like this .?
Hope this helps.
so thats what that bracket is for.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I recall reading that that the rear axle in the 2024's is now a full float, they had one on display at EJS...so if you're buying new that is one upside ?
Only for certain trim Wranglers sadly. All gladiators will still be semi float.

Redleg37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Sport, 13 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Clinical Chaplain
I bought my sport off the lot. I wanted a max tow but they didn't have one. Mine is a sport with the regular towing package and the offroad group. So I still got the LSD.

Eventually I'll re-gear and won't regret not having the max tow, but until then I wish I had 4.10s.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
HD engine cooling - IE bigger, thicker Rad, bigger fan, (and a trans cooler to i believe)

4.10 gears - doesn't matter if you regear anyway

1in wider track - D44 widetrac has 10mm thicker tubes than the non widetrack. supposedly just rear, only the Mojave has thicker axle tubes on the front. Haven't found proof to this despite multiple articles saying so. I personally believe the front D44 on the Max, Rubi, and Mojave are 10mm thicker just like the rear. I've seen non widetracks break at the FAD, but not the big 3. And since they are longer they would have more leverage against them at said FAD, but they don't break, which would logically imply thicker tubes. I've talked with a Dana aftermarket rep and he couldn't confirm everything but after lengthy discussion we both agreed 98% that the Widetrack is 10mm thicker tubes front and rear. Couldn't get a Jeep Engineer to pick up the phone.

Tbh there's a few more things but your swapping em out anyway. The only reason I see for you to Max is to get the sticker in the door jam. You gonna go D60/80 eventually anyway, and so much more. There really isn't a factory component i can think of that your gonna need to stay to make your build work. I'd save the cash if your going that custom. More money for a Hemi swap too down the road. The platform at its core doesn't change excluding the deisel and Mojave (they have a different frame)
I’ve never seen non wide tracks break at the fad but I’ve never looked for it. Though a google search shows a few rubicons.

The Mojave does have a 10mm thicker front axle but the max, Rubi, sport are all the same. Until someone cuts some axle tubes in half to find out for sure. The JL all the axle tubes are the same.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never seen non wide tracks break at the fad but I’ve never looked for it. Though a google search shows a few rubicons.

The Mojave does have a 10mm thicker front axle but the max, Rubi, sport are all the same. Until someone cuts some axle tubes in half to find out for sure. The JL all the axle tubes are the same.
Mojave is the only one I know definitively 10mm thicker. Cus I jumped that shit so hard accidentally and thought I totally fucked it. Only hurt my back luckily and my wrist. Also suprised I didn’t see an airbag off.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Mojave is the only one I know definitively 10mm thicker. Cus I jumped that shit so hard accidentally and thought I totally fucked it. Only hurt my back luckily and my wrist. Also suprised I didn’t see an airbag off.
I made that mistake once ?

This was me at Silver Lake opening weekend many years ago with a relatively stock TJ

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Max Tow vs Non Max tow option rip out IMG_1271

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes but I was under the impression the wide axles had thicker tubes than the non Wide Track
According to articles I have found, and info from Jeep "Gladiator comes with thicker wall axle tubes" (that's compared to Wrangler). There's nothing stating directly that only certain levels have thicker wall tubes, and much actually contradicts any difference.
There was a lot of speculation - and misinterpreting what was in magazine and online articles when Gladiator was released.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mojave is the only one I know definitively 10mm thicker.
No, not 10mm thicker, it's 10mm compared to 8mm of Wrangler.
And I have screen shots of articles stating that all Gladiators got that.
People keep saying "10mm thicker" when it's 10mm, not 10mm thicker, and it's compared to 8mm Wrangler.

The Wrangler has 8mm thick wall axle tubes.
Gladiator has 10mm thick wall axle tubes.
Mojave has thicker - but 10mm thicker would imply 3/8" of an inch added to an already 3/8" thick tube wall making that front axle tube 3/4" thick!

All Gladiators are supposed to have 10mm thick axle tubes - that was compared early on to the Wrangler at 8mm. Jeep said "Gladiator gets 10mm thick axle tubes" - that's compared to Wrangler.

Imagine axle tubes over 3/4" thick because 10mm is over 3/8" thick and if you say "10mm thicker" than an already 10mm thick axle tube you are adding almost 7/16" to an already over 3/8" thick wall because 10 mm is over 3/8", almost 7/16" thick.
Sponsored