Sponsored

Gladiator most underrated, misunderstood vehicle on the road.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
After owning my JTR for only about a month, I can say even as a decided buyer I didnt understand or appreciate just how good of a vehicle it is. In the first month Ive taken a 6 hour road trip with my wife and 2 kids, carried 4 adult coworkers for work trips, done some mild off-roading, towed my utility trailer, even hauled a little lumber (no plywood yet...), and daily driven it including picking kids up daily from daycare. It has been nothing short of awesome at every task.

Lets start with the road trip. When I bought the JT I was expecting to compromise on comfort. 3 hours into the trip I turned to my wife and said “damn I am comfortable”. Not sure if its the fox shocks on the Rubi, or if they all ride this way, but even with the MTs mine is phenomenal, particularly on the highway. Expansion joints are still a bit sharp as I would expect, but general ups and downs and bumps in the road it just floats over. Handling- I am used to a 2018 F150 (still have the pos), the JT is so much nicer to drive. A portion of the trip we took is on Interstate 99 (rt15) from corning ny to williamsport pa. That stretch of interstate is so winding and up and down in elevation I have always been shocked they make it a 70mph speed limit. With the F150 I never did 70 because quite frankly it didnt feel like it would make the turns. With the JT I set the cruise at 73 and never had to adjust. If there are steering issues with these mine definitely doesnt have the issue, it steers perfect with minimal play on center. To sum this part up the I prefer the JT in comfort and handling over my F150, which is the opposite of what I expected.

Off road: I havent done anything crazy yet, but have tested out the sway disco etc on snow banks in my driveway, driven alot of miles of dirt and just today some snow/ice/water/mud covered seasonal roads. The factory MTs are awesome. Visibility is way better than a 1/2 ton truck. I always know right where my tires are, and the nimbleness of the smaller platform is incredibly valuable.

Truck utility: Yes its a small bed. But so far I havent needed more room. No Im not a construction worker, but I do a lot of diy home projects, hunt, fish, camp etc... I did install a swingcase and literider tonneau. My thoughts on the bed so far are that it is small but sufficient, and just requires a bit more organization than a larger bed. Towing my 18’ PJ utility trailer was a far different experience than I expected. Again the nimbleness of the JT benefits in making tight maneuvers in my driveway- never gave that part a thought before. The mirrors are small, but with the open trailer I could see just fine. I did add some cheap convex spotter mirrors from amazon which drastically improve trailer visibility in the mirror as well. Power was sufficient, I only hauled about 4k total this time, but was pleasantly impressed with how it pulled, I live on a steep hill so just leaving my driveway is a test.

So here is why I say it’s underrated and misunderstood. Everyone seems to overlook that this will do all the things Ive mentioned- haul your family, tow your boat, run to the hardware store, off road... AND its a convertible. The convertible part is why I bought it. It was 60 in NY today and I had to take the top off (not a bad 1 person job for the hard top by the way). Then I set out for some seasonal roads, to find them still packed with snow and ice, muddy in places and running water in others. The JT never missed a beat, never even needed 4 low. It was the best day Ive had in a while, eating lunch on the tailgate in the 60 degree sun with 8 inches of snow under the truck was awesome. The best part was knowing not many other vehicles could get to where I was, and other than a wrangler none could do it topless. I then returned home, put the top back on, went to the car wash, picked up my kids and took my family to dinner.

This is a true swiss army knife of a vehicle. And unlike most multi-tools it seems to do most things very well- maybe a jack of all trades, master of...most? The price is off putting to most- I used to bitch about it too. After owning one I can say its worth every damn penny. Kudos to the Jeep engineers- this thing is excellent, just hope that others will eventually see all that it is capable of.

A6BCA545-C62F-4824-B2D5-401CCA4D52F0.jpeg
Sponsored

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
After owning my JTR for only about a month, I can say even as a decided buyer I didnt understand or appreciate just how good of a vehicle it is. In the first month Ive taken a 6 hour road trip with my wife and 2 kids, carried 4 adult coworkers for work trips, done some mild off-roading, towed my utility trailer, even hauled a little lumber (no plywood yet...), and daily driven it including picking kids up daily from daycare. It has been nothing short of awesome at every task.

Lets start with the road trip. When I bought the JT I was expecting to compromise on comfort. 3 hours into the trip I turned to my wife and said “damn I am comfortable”. Not sure if its the fox shocks on the Rubi, or if they all ride this way, but even with the MTs mine is phenomenal, particularly on the highway. Expansion joints are still a bit sharp as I would expect, but general ups and downs and bumps in the road it just floats over. Handling- I am used to a 2018 F150 (still have the pos), the JT is so much nicer to drive. A portion of the trip we took is on Interstate 99 (rt15) from corning ny to williamsport pa. That stretch of interstate is so winding and up and down in elevation I have always been shocked they make it a 70mph speed limit. With the F150 I never did 70 because quite frankly it didnt feel like it would make the turns. With the JT I set the cruise at 73 and never had to adjust. If there are steering issues with these mine definitely doesnt have the issue, it steers perfect with minimal play on center. To sum this part up the I prefer the JT in comfort and handling over my F150, which is the opposite of what I expected.

Off road: I havent done anything crazy yet, but have tested out the sway disco etc on snow banks in my driveway, driven alot of miles of dirt and just today some snow/ice/water/mud covered seasonal roads. The factory MTs are awesome. Visibility is way better than a 1/2 ton truck. I always know right where my tires are, and the nimbleness of the smaller platform is incredibly valuable.

Truck utility: Yes its a small bed. But so far I havent needed more room. No Im not a construction worker, but I do a lot of diy home projects, hunt, fish, camp etc... I did install a swingcase and literider tonneau. My thoughts on the bed so far are that it is small but sufficient, and just requires a bit more organization than a larger bed. Towing my 18’ PJ utility trailer was a far different experience than I expected. Again the nimbleness of the JT benefits in making tight maneuvers in my driveway- never gave that part a thought before. The mirrors are small, but with the open trailer I could see just fine. I did add some cheap convex spotter mirrors from amazon which drastically improve trailer visibility in the mirror as well. Power was sufficient, I only hauled about 4k total this time, but was pleasantly impressed with how it pulled, I live on a steep hill so just leaving my driveway is a test.

So here is why I say it’s underrated and misunderstood. Everyone seems to overlook that this will do all the things Ive mentioned- haul your family, tow your boat, run to the hardware store, off road... AND its a convertible. The convertible part is why I bought it. It was 60 in NY today and I had to take the top off (not a bad 1 person job for the hard top by the way). Then I set out for some seasonal roads, to find them still packed with snow and ice, muddy in places and running water in others. The JT never missed a beat, never even needed 4 low. It was the best day Ive had in a while, eating lunch on the tailgate in the 60 degree sun with 8 inches of snow under the truck was awesome. The best part was knowing not many other vehicles could get to where I was, and other than a wrangler none could do it topless. I then returned home, put the top back on, went to the car wash, picked up my kids and took my family to dinner.

This is a true swiss army knife of a vehicle. And unlike most multi-tools it seems to do most things very well- maybe a jack of all trades, master of...most? The price is off putting to most- I used to bitch about it too. After owning one I can say its worth every damn penny. Kudos to the Jeep engineers- this thing is excellent, just hope that others will eventually see all that it is capable of.

Sponsored

Krullro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ 2019 JLUS
I agree with the first poster. My Sport S with Max Tow is my all around vehicle. 13k miles so far since Oct. 1. Very comfortable on the road with the exception of wind noise at times. I tow my tractor on occasion that trailer/tractor combo weighs 6000 pounds. Just have to be careful since I'm still waiting on the brake controller. Gas mileage is almost 22 mpg since I picked it up so that's much better than I thought. And the bed is not that much smaller than a lot of new trucks with the big cab and short bed. I traded in an Eco Diesel for this and have no regrets. And BTW, in 120K miles on the Eco I had Zero issues and got a very fair trade in.
Off road? I live in the Big Bend area. So I have many miles of back roads. I haven't done much hard core due to lack of faith in the stock Bridgestone tires. But I'll soon be replacing them with probably the BFG KO2's.

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor

Couldn't agree more. I just chuckle when I read comments from the 'haters,' and can't help but wonder if their minds would be changed if they were given a week to use one. Not that it matters at all what they think. This is literally my favorite vehicle I've ever owned, for all the reasons you mentioned. I can do everything I want in one package, instead of multiple vehicles for multiple uses.

Sponsored

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63

Amen! No regrets. I love that my wife loves this jeepmobiletruck. Kids love it too. Sharing is caring, but I call the shots. :)

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
I may never switch to another vehicle, only trade for a new one.
I’ll never sell mine, unless some new feature tempts me to upgrade to a newer model.

panzerbkb

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator, 18 Renegade
I've wanted one since they talked about brute being prod. has a Scrambler back in the day and it was by far my favorite vehicle, so I traded in my JLU sport on a Gladiator and now I have my Scrambler 2.0 ( bigger and better ) now. Cannot see ever selling it either.
Sponsored