Gladiator Overtakes Wrangler as Accessories King

1. JAY

JAY Administrator
    Staff Member

Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Jeep Gladiator: FCA's new accessories king

Source: https://www.autonews.com/sales/jeep-gladiator-fcas-new-accessories-king

August 25, 2018

DETROIT — Before the Jeep Gladiator's spring launch, Fiat Chrysler's Mopar unit predicted the midsize pickup would supplant the venerable Jeep Wrangler in accessory sales.

After a few months on the market, it's done just that.

Mopar said Gladiator buyers spend an average of around $1,000 per vehicle on accessories, topping Wrangler purchasers, who shell out about $800.

The versatile Gladiator is playing in two worlds: pulling in traditional Jeep enthusiasts who equip their vehicles for off-roading as well as attracting buyers from the pickup segment with specific needs.

Kim Mathers, Mopar's head of performance and accessories, said Gladiator buyers are adding off-road tools such as lift kits and protective rock rails.

FCA made sure Jeep dealers were ready for the accessory onslaught before the Gladiator arrived.

More than 90 percent of Mopar products were available at dealerships at launch. Mopar credits this preparation for the Gladiator's accessory surge.

Gladiator add-ons center on truck functionality, lifestyle accessories and off-road capability. Mopar has steel-tube doors for those who want an open-air feel. Other options include military-grade LED lights and racks for bikes and surfboards.

Mathers said Mopar plans to offer more accessories and performance parts. With the Gladiator in consumer hands, Mathers said the company is paying attention to how people are modifying their vehicles.

"The planning for the Gladiator launch has been a long time in the works," Mathers told Automotive News. "Before the vehicles even start to hit dealers, we ship them our key marquee parts."

She added: "We had always expected Gladiator to do well from an accessories dollars-per-unit perspective because it really can draw upon the Jeep world, which is big from an accessories perspective, but also the truck world, so it's being able to build upon both. We expected it to be the highest dollar-per-unit, and we're getting there quickly because of some of the planning exercises that we've done to make dealers ready."

The Gladiator tallied nearly 7,200 U.S. sales in the second quarter. The truck captured an estimated 7.7 percent of the midsize pickup market in its first full month on dealership lots, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

Mark Bosanac, head of Mopar service, parts and customer care for FCA North America, said consumer feedback at events such as the Specialty Equipment Market Association Show and the annual Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah, will influence how the accessory lineup develops over time.

"We're coming up with new ideas, we're getting input from customers, we're going to these other events in Moab and SEMA, and we're taking that information," Bosanac said. "A lot of us are going out and working and trying to find out, 'Hey, what else could we possibly do? What are you looking for on a vehicle?' "

2. Oilburner

Oilburner Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2016 GC Ecodiesel
    Liked:
    Not surprised, since there has been (still is) a lag for the aftermarket guys to bring new stuff to market -

canyonrat likes this.
  3. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    This.

4. bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    If the shit heads would have let you put the steel bumper on when you ordered anything but an LE, their accessory sales would have plummeted

steffen707 likes this.
  5. goofynomad

goofynomad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    98 audi a4
    Liked:
    so she will lower prices for the accessories then right...LOL

6. RickyR

RickyR Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2004 LJ 40's AMC 401 V-8, wife's 2015 JKU, waiting on my black JTR
    Liked:
    Only $800 on a wrangler??? That's a joke. Only $1000 on a JT, even funnier joke I know they say average, but people on these forums are the ones keeping the average up..... I'm doubled that figure on the JT and I JUST ordered mine last week.

Sal and JAY like this.
  7. Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
    Liked:
    Agree! We're easily triple that number just in offerings from Mopar. The number gets even worse for non-Mopar offerings for us. [Must stop spending!]

Sal and RickyR like this.
  8. WranglerWillys

WranglerWillys Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle(s):
    1945 Willy's MB
    Liked:

It's a new supplier due to lack of capacity from JL

9. JeepRealtor

JeepRealtor Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited S
    Liked:
    Realtor
    Two words... Half Doors.
    Mopar better hurry it up on that option or I see them losing a lot of sales to the Bestop Element doors, once of course they release them for the JL/JT. I’m torn between the two, depending on cost. I’d love the Element Doors painted Brite White to match my LE. But, I miss my JKUR with my second set of Mopar Half Doors for the summer. Had them set up for power locks and power heated mirrors, and loved having a finished interior side. I just hope both companies don’t screw it up and not offer them in twill with tinted windows, hint hint Mopar and Bestop. Are you listening?

dano0726 and sodak like this.
  10. steffen707

steffen707 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
    Liked:
    this is a joke right?

jeepncrowd and Sladecm like this.
  11. Sladecm

Sladecm Active Member

First Name:
    Slade
    Vehicle(s):
    All of the motorcycles...
    Liked:
    I had the same thought. Where are they?

jeepncrowd and steffen707 like this.
  12. futzin'

futzin' Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Durango V6, 2006 Suburban 2500, 2009 Venza
    Liked:
    ...waiting on paint...

13. mazeppa

mazeppa Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    16 JKRHR
    Liked:
    There is still a bit of lag for JL aftermarket. Many claim they are waiting on AEV products (mainly bumpers) that are very limited. I see that Teraflex has been busy and has several product offerings for the JL now.

14. MRW

MRW Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator, 2012 JK8, 2015 JKUR, 1986 CJ7...........
    Liked:
    Try getting replacement parts for their accessories. I need a replacement hinge for my tube doors and the dealers said' "you have to buy a new set of doors, there are no part numbers for what you want". Come on Mopar, get on the stick!

15. primethios

primethios Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Overland
    Liked:
    Hell, I about blew through the 1k average just with my tonneau cover. Until I pay down some of the 40k owed on the thing I won't even begin the fun of tires, rims, lift, and other fun toys. For now I just have to be happy that I have my childhood want of a convertible truck and I have my adult dream of a wrangler I can actually go buy a grill, lumber, mulch without having to jump through hoops. But if I wasn't so reserved with my spending I could drop an easy 5-10k to make it big and bold.