First Name
Trainman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 dr. Willys
Occupation
Retired
I was looking to purchase a new Gladiator and after visiting several dealers in the Ft. Worth, Texas aera I started to notice the prices are coming way down, $4000-$8000 off of list price. Most dealers have several in stock and one even had 40 plus in stock, others had 10-15. I started to wonder what was happening so I went to the internet and typed in Gladiator sales in 2022, much to my finding I see Gladiator sales are off some 10,000 plus units as of July this year. Reasons for the decline per the articles that I read are too high of price and the other midsize truck like the Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger are just plain selling better because of there lower price. Jeep is concerned with the sale of the Gladiators and it looks like incentives and possible discounts to dealers from Jeep are lowering the price on them. I think for those who are wanting to purchase a new Gladiator should purchase should give it some though on what you are paying for it, as big discounts are out there. It looks like a Gladiator as a mid-size truck has just not caught on, probably because of price, not so much for what it can do off road. I will say that the Wrangler and JLU sales are still strong and dealer lots are not overflowing with them.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm not sure it was ever supposed to sell as much as mainstream mid-size trucks. It was always supposed to be niche. Anyway, there's incentives for JLs too. I just got an offer in the mail for a JL, JT, or Grand Cherokee. I'm going to take in on a JL though. I already have a gladiator, and the roof doesn't come off a Grand Cherokee.

The other thing is that gladiators don't cost much more than JLs, if you're comparing similar trims (and 4 door wranglers). A base sport Wrangler 4 door starts at 34,045 (if you can find a '22) or 34560 for a '23. A base sport gladiator is 37,565. A Rubicon JL is 46395. A Rubicon Gladiator is 49110. Sahara vs overland 44715 to 44795. Willys to Willys 41155 vs 43860.

The gladiator does cost more at the low end than other midsize trucks, largely because it's a convertible, and also because it's only offered in 4wd crew cab. It also will always sell far fewer than the leaders, too, because it's not going to benefit from fleet sales like the others in the class. It's kind of its own thing. It'll always sell less than a Tacoma, Canyon/Colorado, or Ranger, but more than a Ridgeline. I think that's where it's supposed to be.

Last edited:

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I just (7/16) got a good deal on my JTR that I ordered (2/25). MSRP was 61,129 and I got it for 57,472 before tax and license, so about 5-6% off MSRP. This was unexpected since when I ordered it in February, they didn't say anything about getting it below MSRP. It was a pleasant surprise. They also have 20+ Gladiators just sitting on the lot, and a bunch "in transit". My sales guy said they haven't sold one this month so far.

Last edited:

BigDKY

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Probably true but Iā€™m on vacation here in Gatlinburg, TN and you wouldnā€™t know it lots of gladiators everywhere here even lot of the jeep tours are gladiators now parked in the lot tonight with another gladiator and saw a beautiful Gator green Mojave riding around topless theyā€™re everywhere here saw a snazzberry a black rubicon and 2 red ones yesterday

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
I was looking to purchase a new Gladiator and after visiting several dealers in the Ft. Worth, Texas aera I started to notice the prices are coming way down, $4000-$8000 off of list price. Most dealers have several in stock and one even had 40 plus in stock, others had 10-15. I started to wonder what was happening so I went to the internet and typed in Gladiator sales in 2022, much to my finding I see Gladiator sales are off some 10,000 plus units as of July this year. Reasons for the decline per the articles that I read are too high of price and the other midsize truck like the Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger are just plain selling better because of there lower price. Jeep is concerned with the sale of the Gladiators and it looks like incentives and possible discounts to dealers from Jeep are lowering the price on them. I think for those who are wanting to purchase a new Gladiator should purchase should give it some though on what you are paying for it, as big discounts are out there. It looks like a Gladiator as a mid-size truck has just not caught on, probably because of price, not so much for what it can do off road. I will say that the Wrangler and JLU sales are still strong and dealer lots are not overflowing with them.
Iā€™d agree that itā€™s good to stay observant, but from what Iā€™m seeing, this appears to be pretty similar to what I saw last year at around this time In terms of incentive. Iā€™m actually quite versed at these prices at different points because I bought my first ā€˜21 Mojave 1 year and 1 week ago at the same incentives as I see now. In terms of incentives, they are regional, so some may be higher or lower, based on that regions economics, but thats probably where the real problem lies.

Now, I do think and have some confirmation that the auto industry is between a rock and a hard place as prices are inflationary for their inputs and then there are the delays on raw materials, and now interest rates are spiking and all the while thereā€™s been recent news of BestBuy and another large corporate layoff and the general fear of hard times to come which are shared by more and more now. Plus, there is some news out that that car note delinquencies have spiked and dealer auction inventory is increasing with repos. Check the YouTube videos on it just for a sampling or the auto industry rags.

As for sales, i recently had a GSM share that their July was about a third lower than their June. So, even though gas prices have been falling, the ripple effect of the pullback by consumers and impacts to business may be felt for a long while.

As for the gladiatorā€™s acceptance, Iā€™m biased because Iā€™m in my 3rd in a yearā€™s time because each time before I had someone want to buy my prior one for a ripe price and the situation made ā€œpositiveā€œ finically sense for me! Oh, and I ran a Fsbo add on my first one and had people call me in Nebraska from Texas because dealers were scalping vehicles at prices of plus Msrp and they were getting it. So, maybe those overly proud dealers havenā€™t recognized that their market has started to turn fast enough before they started to eat into their floor plan money?

In terms of itā€™s value proposition, and cost benefit analysis, well, they are definitely in their own category and just wrap you mind around comparing what is essentially a convertible truck / off roader with a built in roll cage to a market that doesnā€™t have a true matching competitor, imo. Itā€™s a Leatherman knife multi-tool in a world of separately sold pocket knifes, machetes, files, scissors and plier distributors.

Still, I donā€™t think that itā€™s without opportunity for improvements. Note that Jeep waited to put a v8 into a wrangler until the Bronco competition was at their front door. So, they may be waiting to add a v8 to the gladiator until they feel the pressure to do so, whatever that might be! I get it, their a business and being strategic.

Here are a few incentives screens from my area. Again and in my opinion, Nothing much of alarm at this point, because I really attribute this to the model year change.

566D6EFD-ED05-47A6-BAE1-DA56738F1A02.png

F330471C-D6F1-418A-9082-CB1CA0A1305F.png

012A80DA-053A-444A-9D49-EE459C6DA769.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
John Lenheiser

John Lenheiser

First Name
Trainman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 dr. Willys
Occupation
Retired

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Economy is starting to slow and Gladiators cost more than any midsize truck. I can see that being a cause for sure. Gladiators have been on a steady climb for sales each year since introduction but this years numbers more closely resemble 2020 than they do 2021. Actually, going per quarter, Tacoma and Ranger also loosely backslid to 2020 numbers as well.

https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/jeep/gladiator

https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/chevrolet/colorado

https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/ford/ranger

https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/toyota/tacoma

I can say this. I didn't buy a Gladiator because it was a good deal. I bought it because I could get one custom ordered NOW (it only took two months), and I really like Jeeps. Could have bought a Lariat Ranger or a ZR2 Colorado for the cost of my Sport S if you could find one to buy.

FWIW, I paid 9% below MSRP for my '22 Sport that I ordered. That was using August discount for my area and my employer discount.

Gladiator2919

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT geek
Of course, two months after I bought my mojave.... However, they gave me an insane amount for my 4 yr old trade in (pretty much what I paid for it...) so maybe somehow it balances out.... I've got tons of equity in the Jeep.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Iā€™d agree that itā€™s good to stay observant, but from what Iā€™m seeing, this appears to be pretty similar to what I saw last year at around this time In terms of incentive. Iā€™m actually quite versed at these prices at different points because I bought my first ā€˜21 Mojave 1 year and 1 week ago at the same incentives as I see now. In terms of incentives, they are regional, so some may be higher or lower, based on that regions economics, but thats probably where the real problem lies.

Now, I do think and have some confirmation that the auto industry is between a rock and a hard place as prices are inflationary for their inputs and then there are the delays on raw materials, and now interest rates are spiking and all the while thereā€™s been recent news of BestBuy and another large corporate layoff and the general fear of hard times to come which are shared by more and more now. Plus, there is some news out that that car note delinquencies have spiked and dealer auction inventory is increasing with repos. Check the YouTube videos on it just for a sampling or the auto industry rags.

As for sales, i recently had a GSM share that their July was about a third lower than their June. So, even though gas prices have been falling, the ripple effect of the pullback by consumers and impacts to business may be felt for a long while.

As for the gladiatorā€™s acceptance, Iā€™m biased because Iā€™m in my 3rd in a yearā€™s time because each time before I had someone want to buy my prior one for a ripe price and the situation made ā€œpositiveā€œ finically sense for me! Oh, and I ran a Fsbo add on my first one and had people call me in Nebraska from Texas because dealers were scalping vehicles at prices of plus Msrp and they were getting it. So, maybe those overly proud dealers havenā€™t recognized that their market has started to turn fast enough before they started to eat into their floor plan money?

In terms of itā€™s value proposition, and cost benefit analysis, well, they are definitely in their own category and just wrap you mind around comparing what is essentially a convertible truck / off roader with a built in roll cage to a market that doesnā€™t have a true matching competitor, imo. Itā€™s a Leatherman knife multi-tool in a world of separately sold pocket knifes, machetes, files, scissors and plier distributors.

Still, I donā€™t think that itā€™s without opportunity for improvements. Note that Jeep waited to put a v8 into a wrangler until the Bronco competition was at their front door. So, they may be waiting to add a v8 to the gladiator until they feel the pressure to do so, whatever that might be! I get it, their a business and being strategic.

Here are a few incentives screens from my area. Again and in my opinion, Nothing much of alarm at this point, because I really attribute this to the model year change.

566D6EFD-ED05-47A6-BAE1-DA56738F1A02.png

F330471C-D6F1-418A-9082-CB1CA0A1305F.png

012A80DA-053A-444A-9D49-EE459C6DA769.png
As I said in post #3 I got about 6% under MSRP including a $500 incentive that was not promised in February when ordered, so whether itā€™s due to a new model year or the direction the economy is going there are deals out there.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
In the past 2 months. Around where I live. The JT population has exploded. I'm seeing them everywhere. When I first got mine the end of Feb. I would see one maybe once ever 2 weeks. Now it's 2 - 3 daily.

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
Dont be afraid to shop around and put crazy low ball offers out there. Dealer mark up from cost is 20% . Not saying you will get 20 % off but you might get 5 - 10% if they want the sale that bad.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In the past 2 months. Around where I live. The JT population has exploded. I'm seeing them everywhere. When I first got mine the end of Feb. I would see one maybe once ever 2 weeks. Now it's 2 - 3 daily.
I think itā€™s about the same here in Albuquerque.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
A lot of used ones are popping up now. I think much of it because leases are expiring on 2020s for sure. It is also tied to gas prices. When gas spikes occur, you will see gas guzzers get dumped. Since gas prices are cyclic most of time people are making an economic mistake losing thousands on trades and paying taxes on another vehicle. The only way it makes sense is to dump a JT and get the most economical car you can as far as saving money goes.
Sponsored