Sponsored

Gladiator V Altima

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Yesterday we had "Early Release" at work due to weather. On the way out of the parking lot, a Nissan in front of me started to spin. I carefully pumped my brakes as I watched it do a complete 360. Then, I heard a "WHAM!" from behind.

I pulled over and looked at the back of my truck. I saw a small gouge in my bumper and part of the hitch unit was bent. I was thinking it sure sounded worse than it looked when I turned and saw another Nissan across the road and down in an embankment.

I walked over to the Nissan and found an extremely upset young woman. She was very apologetic and kept saying, "I tried so hard not to hit you! I'm so sorry!". I asked if she was hurt and she said she didn't think so. Then I did my best to reassure her everything was going to be OK and that I knew she didn't hit me on purpose. I walked down and took a look at the front of her car. Yowza! I couldn't believe how munched it was. It looked like one side of the front clip would fall off if the car was driven. I politely told her I thought she should call a tow truck for her car and she did.

An Air Force Security guy pulled up and made sure we were OK. (We work on a base.) We waited around for over an hour for the county or state police to show up. Eventually, the Security guy relayed they weren't coming and he said I could go. Then he said, "Where did she hit you?". I pointed to my hitch.

"Wow, that's a damn nice truck!" he said.

Anyway, I was very sorry that young woman couldn't stop before she hit my Gladiator. The road was very slick. But boy, I can't complain about how my JT held up. Check out the pictures and see if you agree there's quite a disparity between the Gladiator and the Altima.

003 (2).JPG

005.JPG

011.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad your JT is ok. Steel bumper?
It's the bumper that came with my Sport S with Max Towing. I think it's plastic-covered steel. I'm going to get a repair estimate tomorrow. Anything I should watch out for?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
It's the bumper that came with my Sport S with Max Towing. I think it's plastic-covered steel. I'm going to get a repair estimate tomorrow. Anything I should watch out for?
Have under the bed inspected. My mother was rear ended in her sedan. The bumper wasnt bent, didnt look like there was any damage at all. But the inside of the trunk was somehow crumpled. I doubt the JT suffered anything but it is always good to go beyond what you would suspect as being damaged. Seals of the driveshaft, suspension components, anything could have gotten loose

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Hey I work out there too! Haven't seen your Gladiator around, I always see the white Rubicon.

Glad everyone was ok.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have under the bed inspected. My mother was rear ended in her sedan. The bumper wasnt bent, didnt look like there was any damage at all. But the inside of the trunk was somehow crumpled. I doubt the JT suffered anything but it is always good to go beyond what you would suspect as being damaged. Seals of the driveshaft, suspension components, anything could have gotten loose
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to have the area under the bed inspected.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey I work out there too! Haven't seen your Gladiator around, I always see the white Rubicon.

Glad everyone was ok.
Yeah, that white Rubicon is typically up front in the Disabled Parking. Mine would be a bit further back in the southwest area of the parking lot. It's a red Sport S with a black hard top. (Well, duh, I just remembered I posted a picture.)

Do you have a Gladiator I could see in that parking lot?

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Yeah, that white Rubicon is typically up front in the Disabled Parking. Mine would be a bit further back in the southwest area of the parking lot. It's a red Sport S with a black hard top. (Well, duh, I just remembered I posted a picture.)

Do you have a Gladiator I could see in that parking lot?
Yep, mine is the Black Overland. I usually park out on the west lot (north of the portals) first row towards the back. I get in bright and early so I usually end up with a pretty good spot.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
All the JTs I've seen in crashes have come out like champs. These things are tanks.

Having said that, just inspect your rear frame rails. If the frame rails are not bent or tweaked, then you should be in great shape.

Daeyis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR 6spd
Is that Peterson? I spent 5 years there growing up.

Sponsored

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Not to take away from the quality of Jeep, but I see numerous crashes per day and in acda crashes, the front end of the vehicle always looks way worse than the rear end of the other. Even when two sedans are involved. The front end just seems to crumble way more. Maybe it’s by design.

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Make sure you open and close tailgate it could be tweaked

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you open and close tailgate it could be tweaked
Thanks.

So, is the shop supposed to give me the old parts? They insist on replacing the entire hitch when the only problem is one of the chain eyes is slightly bent.

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Thanks.

So, is the shop supposed to give me the old parts? They insist on replacing the entire hitch when the only problem is one of the chain eyes is slightly bent.
I’d ask for them but most times they won’t give them back and end up selling hem on eBay
Sponsored