Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
  • Banned
The last time Jeep debuted a new pickup truck, they called it the Comanche, or "MJ" to the purists. I found a brochure from the first model year (1986) and thought it was sort of neat to compare to the new Gladiator "JT".

There was an optional payload package. This package would give you a maximum payload of 2,205 lbs! In that trim, with four wheel drive, the curb weight was 5,375 lbs! However, maximum towing was capped at 4,200 lbs which required the GM V6 engine with the 4.10 axle ratio.

So, the midsize Comanche was far heavier than a Gladiator, and could haul far more, but it's towing capacity was lower probably because of the smaller brakes inside the 15 inch wheels and the weak sub-200 HP engines of the day. I just think it's neat to remind ourselves that capability and toughness hasn't really increased with time. You could get a midsize truck 30 years ago that would do as much work as a truck today.

MJspecs.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to nitpick, but as a former MJ owner and lover of all things Comanche, you spelled Comanche wrong, it only has one M. :)

Other than that, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The last time Jeep debuted a new pickup truck, they called it the Commanche, or "MJ" to the purists. I found a brochure from the first model year (1986) and thought it was sort of neat to compare to the new Gladiator "JT".

There was an optional payload package. This package would give you a maximum payload of 2,205 lbs! In that trim, with four wheel drive, the curb weight was 5,375 lbs! However, maximum towing was capped at 4,200 lbs which required the GM V6 engine with the 4.10 axle ratio.

So, the midsize Commanche was far heavier than a Gladiator, and could haul far more, but it's towing capacity was lower probably because of the smaller brakes inside the 15 inch wheels and the weak sub-200 HP engines of the day. I just think it's neat to remind ourselves that capability and toughness hasn't really increased with time. You could get a midsize truck 30 years ago that would do as much work as a truck today.

MJspecs.jpg
Personally, I think if the exact same Comanche was put in a time machine and certified today for payload and towing, the ratings would be lower... For example, just by the fact that the speed limit is 65 mph and 70 mph max today vs. 55 mph back then.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
  • Banned
I hate to nitpick, but as a former MJ owner and lover of all things Comanche, you spelled Comanche wrong, it only has one M. :)

Other than that, thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Thanks I'll see if I can edit that.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The last time Jeep debuted a new pickup truck, they called it the Comanche, or "MJ" to the purists. I found a brochure from the first model year (1986) and thought it was sort of neat to compare to the new Gladiator "JT".

So, the midsize Comanche was far heavier than a Gladiator, and could haul far more, but it's towing capacity was lower probably because of the smaller brakes inside the 15 inch wheels and the weak sub-200 HP engines of the day. I just think it's neat to remind ourselves that capability and toughness hasn't really increased with time. You could get a midsize truck 30 years ago that would do as much work as a truck today.

MJspecs.jpg
I wonder if having a crewcab makes the max payload less? From a pure Gross Axle Weight rating of 3100/3750lbs front/back axles and a curb weight of 4672, that is 2178lbs of total weight the axles can manage? Then again, you have F150 trucks with a crew cab and 5ft bed that have payloads greater than the JT. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I owned an 87 Comanche Sportruck while I farmed. I hauled anhydrous tanks into the fields in the fall - I'd haul the empties from the tractor to town and come back with full tanks, pulling them into the field to the tractor/knife rig. I also hauled my antique engines on a flatbed trailer with it for a couple of years. Had it packed with Alpine stereo gear - CD head unit, EQ, two amps, 4 crossovers, 4 tweeters, 4 midrange and two large subs in an enclosure I built behind the seats.
It was the 4.0 with 5 speed and 4x4. I may have a picture or two of it somewhere. (back when I used 35 mm camera)
It had running boards, bedliner, light bar and loaded with off-road and fog lights. I could light up the front of a combine of things broke or got plugged up.

pmh076

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
They actually increased the towing in later models, i had a 1990 long bed with the big ton package that added an extra leafspring, gave you a Dana 44 for more capacity. Now I have a 1992 2wd, 4.0L 5sp that is going to get built into a 4wd with the 97+ front end on it.

20190920_145431.jpg

20191110_124813.jpg

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I currently own a 1986 Comanche 4X4 long bed with the 2.8 Liter V6. I'm wondering if my truck has that tow package. It came from the factory with those big towing mirrors which I've never seen on another Comanche.

Sponsored

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I had an 1989 Comanche long bed. 4.0 5 speed 4x4. Only option was a sliding rear window. Loved that truck! 3 inch lift and 31 inch Cooper MT's. I think I bought it in 1992ish. Only 9000 miles. I think I paid 6800
for it. It helped having a dad in the car business! I have a picture of it and me when I picked it up. I'll find it and post it.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
They actually increased the towing in later models, i had a 1990 long bed with the big ton package that added an extra leafspring, gave you a Dana 44 for more capacity. Now I have a 1992 2wd, 4.0L 5sp that is going to get built into a 4wd with the 97+ front end on it.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs. Commanche 20191110_124813

Hey just found this thread. I have a 92 5 speed Mj. Are rear fender flares available anywhere?

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
Hold up how on earth was the curb weight 5300 lbs? That would make it heavier than a Gladiator.
I would it expect it would be around 3k lbs for a 90's mid size truck.

You might be thinking of gross vehicle weight which would be the payload capacity + the curb weight.

Edit: shoot i'm commenting on a 3 year old thread, oops

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER

I had a 1989 could not tell you how much firewood I hauled with that truck. You could not kill that 4.0 when I got rid of it, she had 190,000 miles .Get this, never went back to the dealer for any issues the whole time I owned it
Sponsored