Sponsored

Gladiator vs. dealer recall action

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
When I called the dealer in reference to the clutch recall they gave me an appointment time of 8:00 a.m.. I arrived at that time and left my truck with them. About 3:00 p.m. I called to check on this one hour estimated job (stated in the recall). After questioning about the elapsed time I was advised that my "appointment time" was with a service advisor, not time for the actual work. Further discussion with the service dept. led me to believe they had done nothing, especially since they asked me to call back "in about an hour'" to talk with the service advisor.When I called back amazingly they had performed the inspection but could not complete the recall today because they did not have the "protective sleeve" that the recall notice called for to be installed. Maybe be complete by noon tomorrow. We will see. Apparently no actual help for the clutch.
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Having worked both flaps and dealer, a few things.

Sometimes these silly otc questions have a purpose. Say you have a cavalier and you need a headlight. Me asking if it is a z24 means the difference between a capsule bulb or a square sealed beam.

As for dealer recall work. We typically would receive all the recall specific inventory and kit it out, if i had enough parts for 5 kits. You could only schedule 5 recall repairs. Pretty standard when you know you a re going to be doing a lot of these.

And in closing, to quote Mike Sneft; that's the difference between a parts guy and a clerk.

Riddlin

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Same type of crap happened to me a few months back on my ram. Took it in for a recall 25 miles away and after being their 3 hours they said I would have to come back, because they didn't have the part..... So lame. Waste of my time. Good luck I hope it all worked out.

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Is this a serious post? Is your problem being taken care of?

Seems like it is just not to YOUR timetable. I would relax and have a Coke and a smile.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what my Dealer Service Department is like. I've only had one oil change done, so far. I'm about ready for another one, so I'll talk to them when I go in about the two recall notices I have. I'm at just over 8k miles with Driveshaft and Radio Recalls pending.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Service Advisors are the biggest crap position out there. I finally got flagged at the Toyota dealership as first available, after multiple times of trying to schedule an appointment and getting told "rick is only available at this time" Guy is literately checking me in for a damn oil change, like WTF. I still can't figure out the remote value they provide, anytime it is anything remotely serious they send the mechanic to talk anyways.

When working with that model and recalls you need to get them to state multiple times on the phone that they have everything. Then even state "and you will have the kit at this time". Toyota tried pulling that crap on an airbag recall. Took me pushing 5 times or so on the call to get them to confirm they would have the kit.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
To be honest being a service writer is a crap job.

Imagine on one hand you have pissed off, irate, ignorant, entitled, arrogant, stupid and generally a waste of skin clients who want everything, now, for free, because...

And on the other hand you have lazy, free loading, ignorant, uninspired, hack job, yard ape, stupid and generally a waste of skin service techs who have a geologic era of work already booked and behind in addition to the right now special for the owners wife...

And you are caught between the hammer of the service department existing schedule and the anvil of parts department availability.

There were many times I had to tell a service writer to leave the techs alone because we simply do not have and can not get the parts fast enough to make a difference for a given vehicle. And there are times that the customer care manager would tell me to go get a car while he tells my manager I'm going to be driving to a far off dealer to collect a part and then tell the service manager to pick his best man to stay late, starting work the moment I return with the part. It all depends on where you are in the chain.

But yeah, it's a rough job because you're always wrong.

Big John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M715x2, 92 YJ, 20 Gladiator
Thanks ACAD_Cowboy, you explained very well what is actually going on behind the counter at the dealership. I had no idea before reading your thread. No disrespect to any dealerships but I avoid them if I possibly can. Luckily I am a fairly decent mechanic (for a 'yard ape') and I do all my own work. Rebuild auto trannies, diesel motors, engine swaps, axle swaps, welding frames, whatever. If I can get the books and the parts, I'll attempt it.
Some of the guys on this forum own Jeeps and do not change their own oil. I know that there must be a valid explanation. I did not say 'can not', I said 'do not'. Please explain.
I thought that changing oil was as basic as changing a tire. Am I wrong?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks ACAD_Cowboy, you explained very well what is actually going on behind the counter at the dealership. I had no idea before reading your thread. No disrespect to any dealerships but I avoid them if I possibly can. Luckily I am a fairly decent mechanic (for a 'yard ape') and I do all my own work. Rebuild auto trannies, diesel motors, engine swaps, axle swaps, welding frames, whatever. If I can get the books and the parts, I'll attempt it.
Some of the guys on this forum own Jeeps and do not change their own oil. I know that there must be a valid explanation. I did not say 'can not', I said 'do not'. Please explain.
I thought that changing oil was as basic as changing a tire. Am I wrong?
When you purchase a Gladiator, you are enrolled in the Jeep Wave program, which gives you four free oil changes and tire rotations over a two year period. Some dealers also provide free oil changes and rotations to encourage you to use their Service Department. Why would you pay for your oil and filter if you don't need to?

When the free ones are used up, I'll get a Fumoto valve and do my own, since they are so easy with this vehicle. But that's two years and six changes down the road.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Some people are just not that guy. To some people "i built a wicked rig" equates to i showed the guy at the shop some pictures of a rig in the magazine and they ordered a bunch of stuff, totally built me a custom rig!

Then there are others who feel that a full inspection and partial teardown is required upon taking delivery. We might also keep a small laminated card of filter, belt and brake interchange numbers in our wallet, you know just in case.

Not everyone is in fact any good at mechanics. Imagine you think youre checking the fluids and are panicked because youve added 4 quarts and level still hasnt moved, because while youve been adding oil, youve been reading the trans dipstick. Topped only by deciding to adjust you valves; loosening and then adjusting until the tap stops does not mean adjust until all the hydraulic slack is gone.

Rubicon Bob

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Rubi, 17 Grand Cherokee, 2020 GCM LE Gladiator
I live in my motorhome. The RV park I live in does not like people working on their vehicles. Also, don't forget some people may not physically be able to do their own work.

OP
OP
Jim_n_Tx

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Granted, some people need the dealer service for various reasons, especially recall work. However, the dealer service departments should realize that they need the service work and should endeavour to create satisfied customers for return service and associated income.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon Bob
I know that pain, I moved to AL. sold my house in GA. and moved in to my Scamp T.T. in December it will be 10 years. No morgage payment, but damn I do miss my garage and shop, a few years back I bought a small property with just septic tank, water and power I had to have installed. Then moved my Jeeps, stuff and R.V. there Now planning on building a shop / garage - house again. :headbang:
I guess I'm one of them yard monkey's I re-geared my XJ rear axle, torn down a few T-case and automatic transmission. I've known a few good and so so people that worked at dealership's in parts/ maintenance/ service. Some that I would not let near my Jeep's, and some stellar ones.... Few of the latter.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Some of us remember ten years back. Not to thread jack too much but I've been a country mouse and a city mouse both and have loved everywhere I lived for the different advantages. Nothing like cutting in your own road. Nothing like being five minutes from anything her heart desires. Missed the good parts when I left places. With what's coming my next move is locating between town and country with smaller slice of everything that's good then hunker down. Half a garage? Fine. Low ceilings? Fine. Truck will fit.
Sponsored